Best Boilies Of All Time

laguna

Reaction score
Would you or somebody kindly point me to some papers that indicate the natural presence of Rotenone in peanuts as my phone search isn't helping much.

A few here Nobby

Natural presence of Rotenone in peanuts

In Naturally Occurring Pest Bioregulators; Hedin, P.;
ACS Symposium Series; American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 1991.
Fungal growth in peanuts, stilbene phytoalexins, 355-356.
Preharvest aflatoxin contamination of peanuts, 352-360
Rotenone, fish toxicity and crop protection, 317-318

Tephrosia Vogelii: A Source of Rotenoids for Insecticidal and Piscicidal Use. M. H. Gaskins

On the web
Rotenone is a resinous compound produced by the roots of two members of the Leguminoceae family*. Its common use is to control various leaf-feeding caterpillars, beetles, aphids and thrips on a wide variety of vegetables and small fruits. A slow-acting chemical, rotenone requires several days to kill most susceptible insects, but insect feeding stops shortly after exposure.
Rotenone is moderately toxic to most mammals, but is extremely toxic to fish. It's widely used to poison "trash" fish during restocking projects.

*Leguminosae
Arachis - a genus of plants with pods that ripen underground (peanut)
Some Pesticides Permitted in Organic Gardening

Rotenone is extracted from the roots, seeds and leaves of tropical legumes.
Organic acids & juices

Other sources for use as a pesticide/piscicide:
The chemical compound rotenone, which is toxic to a number of organisms, is sufficiently abundant in the roots and stems of certain species belonging to the Papilionoideae that primitive peoples often used these plants to poison fish.
Fabales | plant order | Britannica.com

I must admit, I am also not aware of this particular compound, I am aware of an enzyme inhibitor present in the raw product that prevent absorbtion of certain vitamins, it is destroyed by boiling, if its good enough for Redmire , then its good enough for me.

Is the inhibitor that you refer to Phytic acid? If yes then boiling will reduce it to a safe level - the reason why particle preparation is important for fish well-being. But that has nothing to do with alflatoxins, they are not reduced to safe levels or destroyed by boiling.

Apparently it is Potassium Chloride that is used in lethal injections, and a quantity of bananas although massive would prove fatal, the radio active properties are more readily attributed to the Brazil nut, also a top bait, I might add, you seem convinced about this pesticide, are you sure its present in peanuts, zilch on the net.

Potassium cyanide (gas) and Potassium chloride (lethal injection) are both used to execute prisoners.
Methods of Execution

wanderer

Reaction score
This is a great discussion, you are an interesting chap, however, I still cannot find any specific link to the pesticide and peanuts, links to other plants and trees, even found one categorising lupin seeds, chick peas and several other popular carp baits with the peanut.
Afflotoxin should not be present in any product from the USA or EEC, and with the health food sourcing even more unlikely, as for expense, they are cheap 3 quid a kilo food grade, listed as one of the worlds healthiest foods, thank you for making me think and do this research, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the bait you have not changed my mind but you have taught me things I was not aware off, as far as I am concerned, nuff said.

seth49

Reaction score
Talking of rotenone, I remember reading an article in a American fishing magazine many years ago.
They used it to kill lampreys in the Great Lakes, seemingly it took a lot lower dosage to kill lampreys than other fish.
Or it might have been rivers leading to these lakes, it was a long time ago.

blackout

Reaction score
I see the op has been banned? My favourite bait, by no means best is carrots (big ones) big enough to choke a donkey lol

Dont use boilies much and flavours are to catch anglers imo, only ever use what can be digested properly.

I think the question is do peanuts contain this ratinone?
I might not know much wander but its obvious laguna do a lot of work in this area of mould and poisons pal. Agree its agood thread but you dismiss things too easy mate.

I know one thing Chris remenber when we used cork balls wrapped in peanut butter a good while back? you still qusetioned the bait even after everyone caught!
I remember the convo and the look on billys face after you said fish can detect all sorts of things on his fingers lol It was a good laugh but it got us all thinking about ciggy ash and tobacco, amino acids, minerals in bait and stuff. Importanltly mould is attractive and doesnt stop the water pigs feeding on peanuts or bread with mould on it!

A bit of safe mould on is great, mouldy bread and blue cheese!

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
back to the bait! if i had to choose one boilie above all others it would be premier baits aminos which is still available from 8 quid a kg down :)
DT baits had a great bait at the end of the 90's early 2000's but i can't remember what it was called :(. i used to take a trip down to them to buy it :)

Philip

Reaction score
The DT bait was the Pukka fish or something like that wasnt it ?

All time best boile ? ...well "best" is subjective but if you had to pick one I would go for Ritchworth Tutties which have prob caught more carp than any other boilie I would think.

Podium places for Mainlines Grange, Activ 8 and Nutribaits BFM and a list to long to mention of notable "also rans" :D