Best Boilies Of All Time

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
These are my personal favourites and boilies I'm confident in having tried a vast amount over a long angling career:

Dynamite Baits Robin Red
Dynamite Baits The Crave
Sticky Baits Bloodworm (I don't like The Krill at all)
Rod Hutchinson Red Salmon and Krill
Richworth Bioplex (sadly no longer available)
Richworth Multiplex (ditto)
Not a boilie but Bait Tech Super Halibut Marines were outstanding. Crying shame they no longer produce those 'red devils'.

Last edited:

cattyfatty

Reaction score
done well on richworth tutti frutti always a catch with this when its going slow.
and my best ones are nutrabait trigga had pb on these are top bollies
with a close second premier bait matrix on par with catch rates...

laguna

Reaction score
There is simply no such thing as best, only better IMO.
Better on the day and better overall.

But what do all the 'better' baits have in common?

Answers on a post card please.

law

Reaction score
As above. There isnt one.
What works well on one water, might not work elsewhere.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There IS such a thing as a better bait, it's called Dynamite Baits and the reason is very simple and very robust:
THEY PUT BEST BEFORE DATES ON THEIR BAIT
It is an absolute racket that others do not and I refuse to buy any more cr*p that is unlabelled and could for all I know be 20 years old
The situation is not good enough
Old protein, particle flours and eggs can be very toxic indeed and there have already been huge problems (which for obvious reasons you don't hear about in the angling press).
nash now label apparently but Dynamite have taken the lead ages ago.
They make great bait anyway, apparently their factory is phenomenal.

B

binka

I agree with your view on sell by dates.

I'm not a boilie user but I was far from impressed with the latest batch of Dynamite Baits Marine pre-drilled hali pellets, as you can see they have been drilled so far off centre that they barely hold out for five minutes before splitting in a strong flow.

I thought they were far drier than all my previous batches too and far less oily, they were a recent batch as they came in the new re-sealable bag which was intact when I bought them and no way imo that they could have dried out due to air getting in the packaging...

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They look ok to me except for the misaligned holes like you say
Sometimes the surface of the pellet is dry, sometimes not, depends on the weather in my experience

I've never had the slightest issue with any of their products anyway

Take the time to send them back to Dynamite with a cover note is my advice,
you may get a nice surprise :)

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Yes I agree, there is such a thing as a better bait as I said, but NOT best even with a best before date.

The better baits are made with natural and real food ingredients, totally devoid of anything artificial. A little predigestion doesn't harm either, its a natural enzymatic process. Fresh and sterile isn't really what I look for.

Limited shelf life?
Well yeah, that's the downside to producing bait without freezing or artificial additives. Laguna also sell some bait that has a best before - 20 years from now!
(and proud to say so) ;)

---------- Post added at 06:58 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

I agree with your view on sell by dates.

I'm not a boilie user but I was far from impressed with the latest batch of Dynamite Baits Marine pre-drilled hali pellets, as you can see they have been drilled so far off centre that they barely hold out for five minutes before splitting in a strong flow.

I thought they were far drier than all my previous batches too and far less oily, they were a recent batch as they came in the new re-sealable bag which was intact when I bought them and no way imo that they could have dried out due to air getting in the packaging...

The probable cause of a misaligned hole is that of over heating and/or excessive pressure which causes the 'pin' that creates the hole in the hammer mill to move and distort out of alignment.

Another way it can happen is if the 'mix' was too fluid and sagged as it was extruded.

76 tons and a few days later, somebody might have noticed it Steve? :D

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think I'll pass on your bait plug Laguna, as well as your sly digs at a large and very successful bait company
It's not actually a good look to say you sell bait that's 20 years old either
But at least you're honest
I never trusted small firms and you only help to give them a bad name frankly

B

binka

As a very sceptical but dabbling angler in the respect of bait additives and who's used Laguna's products and who has absolutely nothing to gain by stating so...

I can confirm that they have been excellent in as far as we all can tell and with a service to match.

I couldn't see any sly dig, just an explanation as to what might have happened to cause the problem which I experienced with Dynamite Baits Marine Pellets.

I always find that kind of information enlightening.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I didn't say you were making sly digs , my post was in response to Laguna mate

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Active 8, for it's longevity.
Cell, for the sheer no of fish it's caught.
Nutrabaits Tutti Frutti... a timeless classic.

for myself, CC Moores Live system... it's caught me a lot of fish

TBH the question is a bit pointless, as everyone has their own favourites so it's going to be impossible to get a definitive answer...

law

Reaction score
There IS such a thing as a better bait, it's called Dynamite Baits and the reason is very simple and very robust:
It is an absolute racket that others do not and I refuse to buy any more cr*p that is unlabelled and could for all I know be 20 years oldl.

Err, Nash have been putting use by dates on their shelf lifes for 10 years or so.
Likewise, several others too.

Bit of a strange way to come up with a best bait. Surely it should be on what catches fish? Id rather sit and catch fish than be happy knowing my bait is in date.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
It is an absolute racket that others do not and I refuse to buy any more cr*p that is unlabelled and could for all I know be 20 years old
The situation is not good enough
Old protein, particle flours and eggs can be very toxic indeed and there have already been huge problems (which for obvious reasons you don't hear about in the angling press).
nash now label apparently but Dynamite have taken the lead ages ago.

Calm down my dear, it's only an advert:wh:D

alsoran

Reaction score
Active-8 or Nutrabaits tuti fruiti. Both have caught, still catch, and will carry on catching fish.

or

The thinking angler using any bollie that all the others on the lake aren't using Hmmm!

laguna

Reaction score
I think I'll pass on your bait plug Laguna, as well as your sly digs at a large and very successful bait company
It's not actually a good look to say you sell bait that's 20 years old either
But at least you're honest
I never trusted small firms and you only help to give them a bad name frankly

Sly dig? your talking rubbish those company's mentioned produce some quite excellent bait and have a reputation to follow, I never once said anything to the contrary. Also please reread what I put and you might understand what I mean about a 20 shelf-life as opposed to what you choose to misinterpret as a 20 year old bait.

As for a plug as you put it, we are trade members. My reply was in direct response to your blinkered assertiveness.
Our products however are like comparing apples and oranges. Please do not think anything less of a young company that is innovative and making good progress in an otherwise impossibly saturated market.

Stick with all you know and all you ever will if you want, your choice. I wish you good luck.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

and thank you Steve, very kind of you to say so.

Philip

Reaction score
Dont know about "best" but the Grange is an excellent bait that started a trend and fish are still eating it decades later and still will in another 50 years I expect.