Tench when Carping

naxian62

Reaction score
Got into some tench over the weekend.
I was trying to target the carp but the tench (and a solitary bream) were all over the bait. Not that I actually mind catching tench as they were immaculate fish all around the 4- 5lb mark.
So the question is, if there had been any carp in the vicinity of my baits would the disturbance of catching the tench have put the carp off ? I worked it out that I was probably landing a fish every 45-50 minutes.
Any thoughts guys.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I very much doubt it. If big carp want to have a go they'll easily bully tench out of a swim. The disturbance might spook the odd half interested and wary carp, but that is likely to be it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with Sam - if you're fishing for carp and catching tench it usually means the carp are 'switched off' at the time.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is one where there is a bit more to it than meets the eye. Fish are mysterious and there have been plenty of tales of swims getting tenched ouit while the carp steer clear. Perhaps the carp are letting the tench guinea pig for them? Who knows. I would have moved personally and tried a tiny patch of bait at a quieter end of the lake