Don't like PVA

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The marketing has shoved it down us for a long time that unless we cover our hookpoints/stop our hair tangling/straighten the rig by adding weight/add attraction around the hook; the world will explode immediately

I have been thinking a bit more deeply about it recently as I hate having too much clutter and fiddly little tubes of this and that, and extra boxes of special 'stick' bait are not my cup of tea at all because I swear by travelling very light.

For starters it is very expensive
Secondly simple kitchen sink tests have revealed a LOT of very unsavoury realities such as many premium branded foam nuggets not detaching from the hook, at all, and premium pva mesh forming snotty balls directly on the hookpoint
also pva string, when tightened into any sort of knot, does not melt, at all

My question is this: How likely is it REALLY that your hook will snag in debris?
I think it is very unlikely if you are casting into any clear water for the simple reason that the lead will bosh any semi suspended material out the way as it plummets down through the water, leaving the hook free passage, generally

Also any neat little sock of tiny pellets will be eaten by roach within about three or four seconds on most of the lakes I fish

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd have thought a bit of crust on the hook-point would do the same job, but some carpers might hate to take the risk of getting a quick take and never knowing if it was the bread or the boilie that the carp wanted...

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lol
Yes might try crust
Also thinking sugar cubes with the hookpoint embedded in them
or marshmallows
Can you think of any other edible substance that is firm and will dissolve completely, fairly quickly?
Nash no longer make chain reactions, they were good, thinking of drilling holes in effervescent vit. c tablets..
on some swims it is undeniably good to get the hookpoint covered on its rapid descent to the lakebed, in weed for example

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Sugar puffs?

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Oh, and if you recast fairly frequently and want a temporary "bolt" backstop, spaghetti, I'm told...

Dear God, I hope no-one from the trad forum reads that...

john step

Reaction score
Not just for carp.
I have been using PVA more frequently of late for barbel on the Trent.
A large length of stocking with half boilies and pellets and dry groundbait etc attached to a gripper lead. I feel this is less intrusive to the fish than continually casting a feeder to put a bed of bait down.

I got stocking on ebay for a fraction of what the "names" charge for it.

I also use a stringer of half boilies and those drilled pellets to the same ends along with a cut down boilie for bait on one rod and dead maggots on the other.
Both have their days.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sugar puffs?

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Oh, and if you recast fairly frequently and want a temporary "bolt" backstop, spaghetti, I'm told...
Backstop against what? Do you mean spaghetti jammed into a rubber bead?
I used to be well into temporarily semi fixed rigs and tried all sorts of things.
Now I just alter inline leads so that they become running under certain pressure due to exacting components used

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
if you half hitch a piece of spaghetti above the lead on a running rig it becomes a bolt rig, but softens after a few minutes of immersion so you get a bolt effect but no tethering

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
No, just clove-hitched - for instance, 6" above a block-end when after dace. (Yes, I know it's the carp section, but the principle - or lack thereof - is the same, and it can't form a tether rig for more than about 20 minutes).

Ah, crossed with 2Sheds - spot on, but it needs to be a clove hitch, one half-hitch in each direction, as it were.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Secondly simple kitchen sink tests have revealed a LOT of very unsavoury realities such as many premium branded foam nuggets not detaching from the hook, at all, and premium pva mesh forming snotty balls directly on the hookpoint
also pva string, when tightened into any sort of knot, does not melt, at all

1. Kitchen sink tests do not mimic lake beds... often there is quite strong undertow on lakes that is strangely absent in kitchen sink tests,

2. I use Rice meal nuggets which tend to disappear totally (especially in tow)

3. don't hook the pva bag by the knotted end, I tend to use a baiting needle and run the hook link through the bag with the knots either side of of the hook, and pull the hook point into the bag so that it's surrounded by pellets.
rather than the pva.

4. I use pva tape which disappears totally.

5. I agree that using solid bags often leads to blobs of pva on the hooklink but if you use the knotless method of attachment (ie twist wet & trim) you should be okay...

As an angler of 54 years experience and an angling coach since 2001 I'd have to say that I've not had any of the problems you highlight, try the alternatives I have outlined and see if it makes a difference, as I think you are missing out on a great method....

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1. Kitchen sink tests do not mimic lake beds... often there is quite strong undertow on lakes that is strangely absent in kitchen sink tests,

2. I use Rice meal nuggets which tend to disappear totally (especially in tow)

3. don't hook the pva bag by the knotted end, I tend to use a baiting needle and run the hook link through the bag with the knots either side of of the hook, and pull the hook point into the bag so that it's surrounded by pellets.
rather than the pva.

4. I use pva tape which disappears totally.

5. I agree that using solid bags often leads to blobs of pva on the hooklink but if you use the knotless method of attachment (ie twist wet & trim) you should be okay...

As an angler of 54 years experience and an angling coach since 2001 I'd have to say that I've not had any of the problems you highlight, try the alternatives I have outlined and see if it makes a difference, as I think you are missing out on a great method....
If they don't dissolve in my sink I'm not using them
I never said I was hooking mesh bags from the knot
Also never said anything whatsoever about using solid bags
I know how to thread a stick on properly but was still getting residue around the hookpoint
I've tried PVA extensively over my own long carp angling journey and it never set the world alight at all
This thread is about people like me who don't like it, and alternatives.
Think I'll pass

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

Not just for carp.
I have been using PVA more frequently of late for barbel on the Trent.
A large length of stocking with half boilies and pellets and dry groundbait etc attached to a gripper lead. I feel this is less intrusive to the fish than continually casting a feeder to put a bed of bait down.

I got stocking on ebay for a fraction of what the "names" charge for it.

I also use a stringer of half boilies and those drilled pellets to the same ends along with a cut down boilie for bait on one rod and dead maggots on the other.
Both have their days.
This thread is for people who don't like PVA mate, to discuss alternatives and whether it is necessary (which I don't believe it is) as I explained

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
This thread is for people who don't like PVA mate, to discuss alternatives and whether it is necessary (which I don't believe it is) as I explained

Wont be many replies if the thread is just for those that don't like PVA, never had a problem with the stuff myself although I don't use it in all situations, (horses for courses)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Suck my old Bootes, what a thing to get wound up about.
It's fairly simple, if you like it and you think it improves your results then use it. If you don't, don't.
No need to get wound up if not everyone agrees with your findings.

I personally find some brands disappear completely while others can leave a sticky snot ball, pva is also very temperature dependent with some not dissolving at all in colder temps. If in doubt run a test in the margins before you start but remember, the margins might be warmer than the main body of the lake.

As a river angler I don't have a lot of use for it but on small, slow flowing, shallow rivers I have had great sucsess with it.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Suck my old Bootes, what a thing to get wound up about.
It's fairly simple, if you like it and you think it improves your results then use it. If you don't, don't.
No need to get wound up if not everyone agrees with your findings.

I personally find some brands disappear completely while others can leave a sticky snot ball, pva is also very temperature dependent with some not dissolving at all in colder temps. If in doubt run a test in the margins before you start but remember, the margins might be warmer than the main body of the lake.

As a river angler I don't have a lot of use for it but on small, slow flowing, shallow rivers I have had great sucsess with it.
I'm over the moon that you like PVA and it's really wonderful to meet you too but this thread is pretty clearly labelled as being about NOT liking PVA. I'll pass on sucking your boots thanks. Next time if you want me to read your boring off topic posts, send me a cheque for £10 first. If you want me to correct the spelling that'll be another tenner. Can't help you with the old reading and understanding of written English, however, haven't got time. Suggest you take a GCSE.

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Yes. He's a right little tinker isn't he? :rolleyes:

(comment moderated)

Last edited by a moderator:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm over the moon that you like PVA and it's really wonderful to meet you too but this thread is pretty clearly labelled as being about NOT liking PVA. I'll pass on sucking your boots thanks. Next time if you want me to read your boring off topic posts, send me a cheque for £10 first. If you want me to correct the spelling that'll be another tenner. Can't help you with the old reading and understanding of written English, however, haven't got time. Suggest you take a GCSE.

What makes you think I was addressing my post to you?

Oh and "too" is an adverb meaning "excessively", I think you meant to say 'to'.

If you are going to be a sarcastic pedant at least make an effort to get your own posts grammatically correct. ****wad.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
i love using pva mesh/ bags when fishing in weedy water cover the hook nice with no tangle's ....
YOUR MAKING LOADS OF FRIENDS ON HERE , YOUR CHRISTMAS CARD LIST HAS GONE UP THIS YEAR FOR SURE ....

john step

Reaction score
Do you know what? I read the original entry a couple more times and the title is a statement. The only question is asking whether your hook really does get caught up on debris.
This has mostly been a friendly forum since I joined and usually refrains from this caustic attitude.

The references to a tinker and a boote were made by people referring to others who had a certain attitude and are no longer with us.

Oh yes and by the way I'm not your mate.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
don't call me a ''little tinker'' because I can assure you that you wouldn't do so to my face so don't do it on here. That's extremely rude actually
if you've nothing to add to the topic then why are you commenting?

Because I've just seen an old printer reverting to type :wh

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Blimus.... someone's got their shreddies bunched up the crevice...:eek:mg:

In all my years of posting I've never seen anyone get wound up so quickly... ya gotta chill mate, what' works for one may not work for others.... be a bit daft if we all liked the same things.... accept that we don't all share the same point of view and move on....!
Leave the attitude at the door before posting...:cool: