Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't like PVA

Default Don't like PVA

The marketing has shoved it down us for a long time that unless we cover our hookpoints/stop our hair tangling/straighten the rig by adding weight/add attraction around the hook; the world will explode immediately

I have been thinking a bit more deeply about it recently as I hate having too much clutter and fiddly little tubes of this and that, and extra boxes of special 'stick' bait are not my cup of tea at all because I swear by travelling very light.

For starters it is very expensive
    Secondly simple kitchen sink tests have revealed a LOT of very unsavoury realities such as many premium branded foam nuggets not detaching from the hook, at all, and premium pva mesh forming snotty balls directly on the hookpoint
    also pva string, when tightened into any sort of knot, does not melt, at all

My question is this: How likely is it REALLY that your hook will snag in debris?
    I think it is very unlikely if you are casting into any clear water for the simple reason that the lead will bosh any semi suspended material out the way as it plummets down through the water, leaving the hook free passage, generally

Also any neat little sock of tiny pellets will be eaten by roach within about three or four seconds on most of the lakes I fish
    Last edited by elzevir; 16-07-2015 at 20:44.

Default Re: Don't like PVA

I'd have thought a bit of crust on the hook-point would do the same job, but some carpers might hate to take the risk of getting a quick take and never knowing if it was the bread or the boilie that the carp wanted...

Lol
    Yes might try crust
    Also thinking sugar cubes with the hookpoint embedded in them
    or marshmallows
    Can you think of any other edible substance that is firm and will dissolve completely, fairly quickly?
    Nash no longer make chain reactions, they were good, thinking of drilling holes in effervescent vit. c tablets..
    on some swims it is undeniably good to get the hookpoint covered on its rapid descent to the lakebed, in weed for example
    Last edited by elzevir; 17-07-2015 at 12:07.

Sugar puffs?

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Oh, and if you recast fairly frequently and want a temporary "bolt" backstop, spaghetti, I'm told...

Dear God, I hope no-one from the trad forum reads that...

Not just for carp.
    I have been using PVA more frequently of late for barbel on the Trent.
    A large length of stocking with half boilies and pellets and dry groundbait etc attached to a gripper lead. I feel this is less intrusive to the fish than continually casting a feeder to put a bed of bait down.

I got stocking on ebay for a fraction of what the "names" charge for it.

I also use a stringer of half boilies and those drilled pellets to the same ends along with a cut down boilie for bait on one rod and dead maggots on the other.
    Both have their days.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tyler View Post
    Sugar puffs?

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Oh, and if you recast fairly frequently and want a temporary "bolt" backstop, spaghetti, I'm told...
    Backstop against what? Do you mean spaghetti jammed into a rubber bead?
    I used to be well into temporarily semi fixed rigs and tried all sorts of things.
    Now I just alter inline leads so that they become running under certain pressure due to exacting components used

if you half hitch a piece of spaghetti above the lead on a running rig it becomes a bolt rig, but softens after a few minutes of immersion so you get a bolt effect but no tethering
    I'm Pink, Therefore I'm Spam....!

No, just clove-hitched - for instance, 6" above a block-end when after dace. (Yes, I know it's the carp section, but the principle - or lack thereof - is the same, and it can't form a tether rig for more than about 20 minutes).

Ah, crossed with 2Sheds - spot on, but it needs to be a clove hitch, one half-hitch in each direction, as it were.
    Last edited by Alan Tyler; 17-07-2015 at 13:42. Reason: Crossed posts

Secondly simple kitchen sink tests have revealed a LOT of very unsavoury realities such as many premium branded foam nuggets not detaching from the hook, at all, and premium pva mesh forming snotty balls directly on the hookpoint
    also pva string, when tightened into any sort of knot, does not melt, at all
    1. Kitchen sink tests do not mimic lake beds... often there is quite strong undertow on lakes that is strangely absent in kitchen sink tests,

2. I use Rice meal nuggets which tend to disappear totally (especially in tow)

3. don't hook the pva bag by the knotted end, I tend to use a baiting needle and run the hook link through the bag with the knots either side of of the hook, and pull the hook point into the bag so that it's surrounded by pellets.
    rather than the pva.

4. I use pva tape which disappears totally.

5. I agree that using solid bags often leads to blobs of pva on the hooklink but if you use the knotless method of attachment (ie twist wet & trim) you should be okay...

As an angler of 54 years experience and an angling coach since 2001 I'd have to say that I've not had any of the problems you highlight, try the alternatives I have outlined and see if it makes a difference, as I think you are missing out on a great method....
    I'm Pink, Therefore I'm Spam....!

Quote Originally Posted by arthur2sheds View Post
    1. Kitchen sink tests do not mimic lake beds... often there is quite strong undertow on lakes that is strangely absent in kitchen sink tests,

2. I use Rice meal nuggets which tend to disappear totally (especially in tow)

3. don't hook the pva bag by the knotted end, I tend to use a baiting needle and run the hook link through the bag with the knots either side of of the hook, and pull the hook point into the bag so that it's surrounded by pellets.
    rather than the pva.

4. I use pva tape which disappears totally.

5. I agree that using solid bags often leads to blobs of pva on the hooklink but if you use the knotless method of attachment (ie twist wet & trim) you should be okay...

As an angler of 54 years experience and an angling coach since 2001 I'd have to say that I've not had any of the problems you highlight, try the alternatives I have outlined and see if it makes a difference, as I think you are missing out on a great method....
    If they don't dissolve in my sink I'm not using them
    I never said I was hooking mesh bags from the knot
    Also never said anything whatsoever about using solid bags
    I know how to thread a stick on properly but was still getting residue around the hookpoint
    I've tried PVA extensively over my own long carp angling journey and it never set the world alight at all
    This thread is about people like me who don't like it, and alternatives.
    Think I'll pass

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Not just for carp.
    I have been using PVA more frequently of late for barbel on the Trent.
    A large length of stocking with half boilies and pellets and dry groundbait etc attached to a gripper lead. I feel this is less intrusive to the fish than continually casting a feeder to put a bed of bait down.

I got stocking on ebay for a fraction of what the "names" charge for it.

I also use a stringer of half boilies and those drilled pellets to the same ends along with a cut down boilie for bait on one rod and dead maggots on the other.
    Both have their days.
    This thread is for people who don't like PVA mate, to discuss alternatives and whether it is necessary (which I don't believe it is) as I explained
    Last edited by elzevir; 17-07-2015 at 16:18.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast