First ever Carp session

Reaction score
Good evening all

On Tuesday i am going on my first ever Carp session at East Delph Lakes. I've visited the site (as perfect as it gets), met the owner (a really nice bloke) and seen some stunning catches whilst i was there.

I'll not lie to you, the thought of a 20lb+ lump on the end of my line feels more than daunting but it all feels like where i want to be.

Has anyone got any tips, advice or any other form of wiseness that they are willing to part with? or better still has anyone already fished there?

thanks in advance

Neil

winnywood

Reaction score
Best advice i can give is to just enjoy the moment, don't be in to much off a rush to get it on the bank enjoy the fight and don't bully the carp. oh and if possible land the fish yourself rather than let someone else do it.

got my personal best tonight with a 16lb common only started fishing 2 months ago i was proper buzzing.

Reaction score
thanks for that advice, i shall stick to what you have said as well :) sounds like you've had some pretty good luck and from the advice you gave me it sounds like you received the same advice when you started too

law

Reaction score
Personally, if it was my first session, I'd go to a noddy water.
Some commercial that's full to the brim of single figure carp.
You can suss out rigs, why you need different length book links over different bottoms, baiting techniques etc before jumping into proper carp.
But hey, that's me!

Reaction score
Thanks Law that is a really good point which i had not considered and now I suspect that is exactly what i shall do on my second visit once i have scared myself to death or totally blanked. I should maybe of asked the question before i booked my first session. Luckily I was VERY honest about my experience and ability with the fisheries owner and he has agreed to spend some time with me on the bank before i am let loose alone. I shall update for anyone that is interested on Wednesday

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
What Law said has much merit, get some experience in catching and handling smaller carp.... they do scrap hard and it can be a bit of a culture shock if you've not experienced it before....

Also there is sense of expectation when fishing waters for big carp.... very often those sessions end up as an anti-climax.... (a blank to me and thee ) if you go with a mate, it makes the time pass quicker and you can bounce ideas off each other if the fishing is slow and if one or both of you do catch, help is at hand should you need it....

take it slow and enjoy yourselves, and don't be put off by blank sessions... try and learn something from them and you'll end up a better angler in the long run... Carp fishing can be long periods of inactivity, punctuated by short sharp bursts of panic:wh:cool:

steve2

Reaction score
Just remember that carp are just another fish and in most cases no more difficult to catch than other fish. Wherever you live now you are surrounded by
waters containing easy to catch carp.
The mystery around carp fishing comes from the days when they were deemed uncatchable, now with overstocking of carp in all shapes and sizes they are easy fish to target. Just cast out sit back and wait.