Carp lakes - Near London train stations.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I don't drive so have to travel on public transport not everyone cup of tea but I will have to live with it for now, Can anyone recommend any good carp lakes which are around London and near a train station? I still class myself a beginner so if possible lakes only that you know are stocked well and I will be busy :)

Thanks in advance

steve2

Reaction score
Not into carp fishing but would suggest you look on the internet for fishing in and around London. There are plenty of places on day ticket.

tonybull

Reaction score
Anyone fished puddledock farm fishery? Can I have some reviews on what's it's like please :) thanks

Stuffed with fish, mainly Carp but still plenty of Silvers.

Comfortable and easy fishing and onsite tackle shop and cafe.

steve2

Reaction score
I live 2 minutes from Puddledock not a place I fish but I know that the lakes are mainly stocked with easy to catch carp. Match weights are normally well over 100lbs. It's about a half hour walk from Upminster Station.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You need a mate with a set of wheels, broaden your limited horizons and go halves on the fuel.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
You need a mate with a set of wheels, broaden your limited horizons and go halves on the fuel.

I agree until now ive never needed a car, I work in the city Mon - Fri and weekends i'm usually at home or using the train to follow West Ham up and down the country.

qtaran111

Reaction score
hammer_jamie, I'm in the same boat (or train :) ) as you and do all my fishing via public transport from London.

You didn't mention where you are in London, but I'd recommend Henlow Bridge Lakes. It's 35 mins from Kings Cross and the lakes are right next to the station, literally a 2 min walk.

They've got two lakes, Jordan's is the bigger one mainly for carp. Biggest I've caught there is 14lb and biggest I've seen come out is 23lb. On a typical day you can easily catch 10 decent carp, all in excellent condition.

The other lake is Vincent's, which is their mixed/coarse lake with silvers and smaller carp, they say up to 15lb but usually around the 5 or 6lb mark. There's also some cracking perch in there (my best there 2lb 12oz, biggest I've seen come out was 4lb on the nose). Plus there's bream around 2lb, good roach of around a 1lb, tench, rudd, gudgeon, etc

Both lakes have nice swims, its usually fairly quiet and the fish are in excellent condition. Definitely recommended for a beginner. If interested PM me and I can let you know which swims are good to start in.

Some others:

Puddledock is good for beginners but it's bloody miles from the station (+30 min walk)

Jacks Lake: (as someone else mentioned) is a nice "natural" looking lake and nice surroundings. A good 15 minute walk from Cockfosters tube (not that far but boy does 15 mins seem a long time when you're lugging gear). Can be a bit tricky to find first time.

Burgess Park: down in good old sarf London, off the Old Kent Road. I haven't fished it myself, but it's got quite a good rep, lots of tench and good carp up to mid twenties.

Stanborough Lake: near Welwyn Garden City, nice lake, can be hard to fish sometimes especially in winter and a bit of a trek from the station (a good 20 - 25 mins)

Lea Valley lakes: some cracking carp waters. Most are season ticket only, but both Banjo Lake and Stock Pit are on day ticket. Banjo has lots of small carp around 5lb and biggest up to 28lb. Both lakes are close to St Margarets station

Then there's always the 'stow (i.e Walthamstow Reservoirs). These are worth a bash once you've gained some experience, but be warned can be bloody hard and are known head bangers. However there are some huge carp in there and massive bream (but you need about 4 tons of bait to hold them in your swim). Close to Tottenham Hale or Blackhorse Road stations.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Taran, Thank you very much for getting back to me and giving me a few venues to try.

I'm actually located Loughton,Essex.

I fished Tylers Common the other day which was about 25min walk from Harol Wood station, That was good fun and not to bad walk :)

tonybull

Reaction score
Jamie

Is there not a bus that goes from Loughton to Waltham Abbey and stops near the Woodbine Pub or Volunteer Pub which are at the bottom of Woodridden Hill ?

You have Southend Farm that is a 5 minute walk from the Woodbine Pub or Volunteer Pub and there is 3 lakes on site, very good cafe and an helpful bailiff.

Google maps and your see the fishery on Southend Lane off Woodgreen Road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6810169,0.0424686,15.25z

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Hmm interesting Tony, Not herd of Southend Farm before. It seems I can get the 250 bus from Loughton and I can then get off at Skillet Hill Farm which is then a 7min walk.

Have you fished there yourself?

Thanks

tonybull

Reaction score
Yes Jamie

I was over there Sunday gone on the big lake targeting Bream in a match but quite a few of the guys around me went for the Carp and had a few.

Your enjoy it over there, its a safe environment, they have a website give them a ring and ask them what lakes are available to fish if you intend to visit because they host matches but there is always swims kept for pleasure anglers.

Tell them what type of fishing you do and ask them what methods and baits are catching. Well worth a visit if its only short walk to the bus stop.

I rate it as one of the best all round fisheries in Essex mate.

tonybull

Reaction score
Simon

Its fishing well now mate, I caught 33lb of Bream/Skimmer on worm over GB/Caster. I had a nice comfortable day, took it easy.

Mate next to me caught 47lb of Bream/Skimmers up in water on meat. He also had ago at the Carp on the PW had caught 50lb.

Plenty of others caught Bream/Skimmers and Carp.

It was an enjoyable match and there was pleasure anglers on the lake as well.