Why do you use soya flower for bollies ?

greenie62

Reaction score
...That's also using Gram flour, which is better than Soya - less fat and better nutritional profile. It's made from chickpeas.

Gram flour is found in Asian shops labelled as Besan Flour. Enquiries for 'Gram Flour' are usually met with a blank look!:eek:

Frothey

Reaction score
:thumbs:

I thinking depends on where the get it from, mine that I get from an Indian supermarket has Gram on it. Good to know though

laguna

Reaction score
A 50/50 mix usually consists of 50% semolina and 50% soya flour.
Soya flour can be substituted with all kinds of different flours, either because of cost, availability or for nutritional reasons. The later should be the primary consideration imo.

Semolina is made from durum wheat and is nutritious. It contains a high proportion of gluten which is key to good binding along with the eggs and a bit of oil. Soya flour is added as a source of protein not as a binder but unfortunately is poorly digested by the carp due to it's anti-nitrient levels. A better substitute would be infant milk formula, milk protein such as lamlac or soy protein isolate - defatted which is the basis of infant milk.

Common binders are eggs and gluten which are used for keeping the paste intact. Eggs when boiled go solid and lock in the flavours but can be substituted with more gluten (buy seperately or you can wash your own strong flour to separate it out under a running tap).

Anglers new to bait making should aim for a paste consistency of playdough and set it aside before rolling in a plastic bag to allow the liquids time to absorb and reduce shrinkage.
A bit of oil aids in rolling and helps the paste from sticking to the rolling table/rollers but its not always essential and not recommended for carp in winter.

If you use PONDBOND you don't need to add any eggs or oil or boil your paste at all. Simply add your dry ingredients to the liquid and leave them to air dry for a few days or more until you are happy with the result. The longer you leave them the harder they become. You don't have to freeze them as they won't go mouldy if you keep them in a cool dry place.

Good luck.

nichalex

Reaction score
So you recommend semolina flour and milk power boilies ? If so, what quota/mix/percentage do you suggest. I have seen semolina flour for sale in my supermarket not sure about milk power but will have a look.

Frothey

Reaction score
Carp could be caught on pretty much anything if you put in front of them when they are feeding. If you want something that will roll reasonably well try

40% Semolina
40% Soya flour (or Gram flour, failing that, any flour)
10% milk powder
10% icing sugar

4 eggs, 10 ml toasted sesame oil and 4ml flavouring to about 500g mx will be about right.

For milk powder you can use baby milk formula, like I and Laguna suggested earlier.

thecrow

Reaction score
quality baits used to be renowned for poor storage. i have no idea if its the same

Always been ok when I have been there everything was in bins, although Simon started out not knowing much about baits the baits were formulated by John Cooper of Pyramid baits until there was a tiff.

nichalex

Reaction score
For milk powder you can use baby milk formula, like I and Laguna suggested earlier.

Sorry, if I seem to be ignoring your recipe, I believe it is a good recipe. But I ask my sister in England to go to Sainsburys to buy soya and gram flower but she didn't find any. I will use 40% Semolina, 40% regular, 10% milk powder, 10% icing sugar for the next batch. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frothey View Post
Carp could be caught on pretty much anything if you put in front of them when they are feeding. If you want something that will roll reasonably well try

40% Semolina
40% Soya flour (or Gram flour, failing that, any flour)
10% milk powder
10% icing sugar

4 eggs, 10 ml toasted sesame oil and 4ml flavouring to about 500g mx will be about right.

id' start with something along these lines. it will probably out perform anything you have ever tried ;)

fishmeal 40%
lamblac or other milk replacer
soya meal
semolina
wheatgerm
belachin
molasses

marriages of chelmsford, ccmoores, or your local feed merchant may be a good place to start ;)

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
oh well! soy flour is about 50% protein :)
I'd try some garlic sausage if i was out there :)