Why do you use soya flower for bollies ?

nichalex

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am quite new to the forum so I don't know if this has been already asked. I made my first bach of bollies and enjoyed making them. I had bought soya flower from a organic shop in Cardiff. But where I am now, in France, it is impossible to find. What is the problem with normal flower ?

Frothey

Reaction score
What are the rest of the ingredients?

Many European boilie makers do just use flour. Depending on the quality of the soya flour, it's a better source of oils and protein than white flour.
Gram flour is a decent alternative......

nichalex

Reaction score
I had soya flower, eggs, corn, milk, vanilla oil and mainline flavoring. I didn't understand why boilles aren't made with regular flower. I guess carp must prefer other flowers, I just wanted to check it doesn't cause problems for the carp because I can get regular flower and much a cheaper price.

Frothey

Reaction score
Carp could be caught on pretty much anything if you put in front of them when they are feeding. If you want something that will roll reasonably well try

40% Semolina
40% Soya flour (or Gram flour, failing that, any flour)
10% milk powder
10% icing sugar

4 eggs, 10 ml toasted sesame oil and 4ml flavouring to about 500g mx will be about right.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Soya helps with binding, adds oils and making a smooth paste that'll roll easily without splitting. Compared to other binders like maize flour or regular flour it has a very useful protein content and amino acid profile.

You can normally pick it up in places like modial peche or pacific peche.

Where are you based in France?

nichalex

Reaction score
Soya helps with binding, adds oils and making a smooth paste that'll roll easily without splitting. Compared to other binders like maize flour or regular flour it has a very useful protein content and amino acid profile.

You can normally pick it up in places like modial peche or pacific peche.

Where are you based in France?

I live in Medoc but board during the week in Bordeaux. I know there is a pacific peche sort off in Bordeaux, I have never been but wanted to.

nichalex

Reaction score
I looked on their website. 600 grams of soya --> 3€. 1kg of regular at the supermarket --> 0.40€. Is it worth the price ?

Frothey

Reaction score
No - bait ingredients are just re packaged from elsewhere, nothing special about them. Most can be found at feed or grain merchants and health food shops.

nichalex

Reaction score
I went to pacific peche on Wednesday, I bought some 2,5 kg 50/50 base mix for ten euros and other few bits, picked you their catalogs and left. The next day I noticed in the catalog they sell 10kg of boilles for 30euros. I bought a base mix for 4€ the kg when I could have bought them ready made for 3€ a kg :eek:mg:

Frothey

Reaction score
They should list the ingredients on the baits, that'll tell you all you need to know why they are so cheap. Same as the 50/50 mix, you are crazy buying it from a fishing shop when you can buy the separate bits and mix it 50/50 yourself!

nichalex

Reaction score
I know 50/50 is expensive for just being 50% soya/50% corn, but I have had no success in finding any. Do you know where you can get some near Bristol as my mother is in that area and driving down to see me in about a month.

nichalex

Reaction score
I found a website in France with the same price, it's the postage which is expensive. On the website 5kg of soya is £9.50 and £9.50 postage. That's 5.33€ the kg (with today's exchange rate) !

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
10kgs of the mix i suggested would be £13.60 at Sainsbury's. Even if you went with a vitamin rich baby milk, still less than £20.

Add eggs, sesame oil, marmite, chicken gravy granules, I reckon you'll get at least 14kg finished bait for less than £35

nichalex

Reaction score
10kgs of the mix i suggested would be £13.60 at Sainsbury's. Even if you went with a vitamin rich baby milk, still less than £20.

Add eggs, sesame oil, marmite, chicken gravy granules, I reckon you'll get at least 14kg finished bait for less than £35

So do they sell soya flower in British supermarkets ? I am not criticizing your recipe but I am looking where I can by soya flower for a reasonable price

From the link I posted 10kgs of 50/50 delivered is £24-50 expensive? how much are you willing/able to pay?

Well even in this great exchange rate that will be 30€, 10kgs with be a lot for me and add the inconvenient of bringing it over to France, the buy form Pacific peche doesn't look as bad.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... bringing it over to France, the buy form Pacific peche doesn't look as bad.

The price quoted by theCrow was 'delivered' - so that's a bit more saved! Also - the 'Shipper Details' should save getting delays and investigations by those that are paid to care about the shipment of white powder!:eek:

The only local shop that I know that sells Soya Flour is one of the Indian shops in Bolton - that sells at £2.50/Kg but doesn't ship.

Makes you wonder if it's worth buying the stuff for making it yourself - or buy them ready-made from PP!:confused:

Frothey

Reaction score
Yes, that's why I said "at Sainsbury's"........

That's also using Gram flour, which is better than Soya - less fat and better nutritional profile. It's made from chickpeas.