Something to whet the appetite...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funnily enough I've just been watching Chris Yates "Caught in Time" another video about fishing for carp, that's where the comparison ends.

Think I prefer the quiet slow stealth as opposed to the Usain Bolt style of fishing, great to have another angling show but it's not for me.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually it raises an interesting point…is a rod considered “under control” when its in a rod rest ?

I would have thought under control means physically held in a (sober) hand ?

To my mind, "under control" is taken to mean as being under the control of the angler, and if read in conjunction with the 3m rule it thereby qualifies the meaning of "control"

To simpky place a rod in a rest, pozilock, on a pod with alarms is not "controlling" the rod but merely supporting it.

PS: Frothey knows far more than any 15 y.o. old should ;)

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Moderator hat: Off, ie personal comment . . . .

Okay, I have now watched this 3 times and have to say I remain decidedly unimpressed.

It highlights anglers being too far away from their rods while "fishing" and does not show our sport in a good light at all.

In one or two scenes there was not a landing net or unhooking mat in sight.

Hopefully constructive comments can only serve to improve the quality of your offerings, which might then attempt to show angling in a much better and more caring light.

Moderator hat: back on .. . . .

hi Peter.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

All I can think is that the way the trailer is edited is misleading you all, as all the anglers in our show are very experienced, well known guys, who all respect the fish.

We take fish welfare very seriously and I can say with 100% confidence that there were always landing nets and unhooking mats in use, even if they aren't in shot.

I think I would ask everyone here to give us a chance: I'm sure that if you watched the first episode you'd see that not only do the anglers know what they are doing, but that we have taken every precaution to ensure that the fish are safe!

One of the reasons we've joined the forum is to get feedback like this, so thank you for your honesty. I hope that we'll be able to show you that your fears, while perhaps understandable, were needless!

We'll definitely take this sort of comment into account when cutting and editing clips in the future, so thanks again!

Frothey

Reaction score
hi Peter.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

All I can think is that the way the trailer is edited is misleading you all, as all the anglers in our show are very experienced, well known guys, who all respect the fish.

We take fish welfare very seriously and I can say with 100% confidence that there were always landing nets and unhooking mats in use, even if they aren't in shot.

I think I would ask everyone here to give us a chance: I'm sure that if you watched the first episode you'd see that not only do the anglers know what they are doing, but that we have taken every precaution to ensure that the fish are safe!

One of the reasons we've joined the forum is to get feedback like this, so thank you for your honesty. I hope that we'll be able to show you that your fears, while perhaps understandable, were needless!

We'll definitely take this sort of comment into account when cutting and editing clips in the future, so thanks again!

Serious hat on for a sec, there's no way Chilly and Dave would get involved with anything that didn't put the fish first - as you say the editing probably makes it look worse. You're in a difficult place, show people what they really want to see - lots of action - and it can look a bit, erm Korda (get in!) or show people how Dave (for example) really fishes and you'll get hours of someone walking around a big pit, loads of blanks, travelling, baiting up, and them finally nailing a lump. But who'd watch it?
But, like I said, the programmes aren't made for the old farts on here are they :w:w - they'd even be offended by Clive and Malcs vids, or God forbid Harefield Hauling!

Last edited:

nichalex

Reaction score
[quote/]=Frothey;1398744But who'd watch it?[/quote]
I would :wh... I loved Fox and Nash's youtube, just brilliant :thumbs:. I loved wild wildest waters : the big fish. Less korda's big fish off. I think this is a step in the right direction. The problem I felt with the trailer is that it is trying to look action packed. The fishing videos I like the most tell a story, not nessarly "action". But I do like competitiveness of the trailer.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
To my mind, "under control" is taken to mean as being under the control of the angler, and if read in conjunction with the 3m rule it thereby qualifies the meaning of "control"

To simpky place a rod in a rest, pozilock, on a pod with alarms is not "controlling" the rod but merely supporting it.

PS: Frothey knows far more than any 15 y.o. old should ;)

Ah... one more thing just to put everyone's minds at rest: although they are out of shot, there were always production crew on hand, so none of the rods were ever left unattended, and there was always someone on hand should one of the alarms go off!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah... one more thing just to put everyone's minds at rest: although they are out of shot, there were always production crew on hand, so none of the rods were ever left unattended, and there was always someone on hand should one of the alarms go off!

. . . . that is good to know . . providing of course that the production crew all hold an individual, and valid, EA licence?

;)

B

binka

Fair do's to the bloke, the last time I shifted at anything like that pace was in the opposite direction to the salad bar...

:)

Philip

Reaction score

. . . . that is good to know . . providing of course that the production crew all hold an individual, and valid, EA licence?

Of course: all keen carp fishermen with lots of experience!

ok look as everyone else is at it I may as well jump in ...production team ? ...you mean like Lights, cameras, Microphones & so on ? ...wouldnt that also contravene rules on excessive bankside disturbance ?

....poor old fishingtv, I think they picked the wrong site to peddle their wares by the looks. Dont give up lads, your doing a stirling job fighting your corner ! ;):D

Last edited:
B

binka

I thought it was something else but I cant see a toilet roll in his hand :D

Had the same problem today Graham, the jalapenos in the morning dish seemed to have moved me on quite urgently.

Luckily I improvised...

Not sure what I'm gonna tell me mate when he asks where his hand towel is :eek:

Serves him right for nodding off... :D :D :D

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Had the same problem today Graham, the jalapenos in the morning dish seemed to have moved me on quite urgently.

Luckily I improvised...

Not sure what I'm gonna tell me mate when he asks where his hand towel is :eek:

Serves him right for nodding off... :D :D :D

Tell him you used it on a (s) tench!