Something to whet the appetite...

B

binka

Tell him you used it on a (s) tench!

It's worse than that Mick, I washed it out in the river and put it back before he woke up :eek:mg:

Only joking...

It's really in a clear plastic bag inside his holdall with a note saying 'boil wash' :D :D :D

Keith M

Reaction score
Omo? your showing your age now flight Lol. Even I have trouble remembering that washing powder Lol

Keith

flightliner

Reaction score
Omo? your showing your age now flight Lol. Even I have trouble remembering that washing powder Lol

Keith

Kieth you,re right, power of advertising I suppose.
Years ago at Sheffield poly we had to do a survey on advertising jingles and one liners, omo, murreymints, what did katy used for gravey, that sort of thing.
One question was " who dresses you best" the answer being Peter pell but one wag at the back of the lecture theatre brought the house down bby answering "mi mam":D:D

benny samways

Reaction score
All this thread shows is some of the snobbery in fishing. Its like those who have an idea of the sort of programmes Korda and the likes produce, know they wont like it, but watch it anyway and then critiscise it to death. I find their critiscms as dull as they know they will find the programmes!

Do you know what? I am a fairly competent angler, nice gear (some idea!) care for my catches, look after the bankside, don’t leave rubbish, take others rubbish away, and generally consider myself a man of the countryside.

But, this summer, I had the temerity to go fishing on a free stretch, with 3 other mates, some beers and a couple of take away bbqs. You know, just for some fun down the river in the summer. Midway through cooking the burgers, my rod almost got pulled in by a 3 pound chub! To anyone watching, we looked like pikeys or EEs, or the general sort of oik who 'proper' anglers don’t think have a right to be on the bank! But it was ME, a countryman and proper angler! It hit home how silly our judgements can be.

What I am trying to say is that we all too quick to judge, in what is essentially meant to be just a FUN past-time.

Oh, the irony of me moaning about how people shouldn’t moan!

Tomorrow looks good, I will be up the river.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
ok look as everyone else is at it I may as well jump in ...production team ? ...you mean like Lights, cameras, Microphones & so on ? ...wouldnt that also contravene rules on excessive bankside disturbance ?

....poor old fishingtv, I think they picked the wrong site to peddle their wares by the looks. Dont give up lads, your doing a stirling job fighting your corner ! ;):D

Hmm... no more so than any other Fishing programme... ;)

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Well, at risk of stirring up the hornets' nest again, I just thought I'd remind everyone that Carp Wars begins at 5:30 tonight on Sky Sports 3, and is then available to stream from 5:30 on Friday on FishingTV.com.

[ducks a hail of rotting fruit]

Philip

Reaction score
Really ? ...I mean …REALLY ? :eek:mg:

Look as I feel a but sorry for you , heres a tip for free. Try the same thing but with an episode of something with “Roach” in the title or better still “Centerpin”…if you find something with both in it then you will have hit the motherload.

Good luck ! ;)

Philip

Reaction score
or better still ...an advert for Wherthers incontinence pads…you’ll be minting it in..

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Or maybe even better yet taking constructive criticism from some very experienced anglers, many of whom were are the forefront of the Carp fishing explosion in the UK?

It is undeniable that we need good fishing programmes on the TV, but it is equally undeniable that we also need to show the sport in its best possible light as well.

Frothey

Reaction score
To be fair Peter, some of those in the vids are and were!

Anyway, I'm more concerned that rods weren't level, too far apart, handles weren't folded in, and half the rods weren't dipped under water. Amateurs.

Philip

Reaction score
Or maybe even better yet taking constructive criticism from some very experienced anglers, many of whom were are the forefront of the Carp fishing explosion in the UK?

It is undeniable that we need good fishing programmes on the TV, but it is equally undeniable that we also need to show the sport in its best possible light as well.

The sad fact is that perhaps that is showing angling in the best possible light in terms of attracting people to watch it on TV.

The reality is blokes running around whooping, shouting and grabbing rods is going to be more entertaining to watch than some bloke sat quietly watching a float whilst giving a lecture on how to correctly use an unhooking mat.

Then again your right that they could make some more effort to try and combine the two.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The reality is blokes running around whooping, shouting and grabbing rods is going to be more entertaining to watch than some bloke sat quietly watching a float whilst giving a lecture on how to correctly use an unhooking mat.

Really, that however doesn't explain how unbelievably popular (and long lasting) was Passion for Angling does it . . . . . while pictures of chaps running about whooping and shouting might appeal to a certain type of Carp angler, I am pretty sure that the vast majority would prefer to see something more . . . shall we say . . . stable?

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Having just read all through this thread which was very entertaining I felt obliged to go back and watch the video. My feeling is FishingTV gets a bit of unfair stick but also fair stick. Programmers of fishing these days feel obliged to make it all look exciting and fun which comes over as a bit false because its not most of the time. There would be nothing wrong in my opinion highlighting the contemplating aspect, the scenery, the variety, the nature etc. This does seem to get lost sometimes in the modern medias attempts to make it all look like formula one which we know is contrived.
A good opportunity lost to show a trailer with these top carpers pulling in some good fish expertly done with a nice backdrop, say a osprey or anything else that might be around. I am not really a carp angler but that would make me want to become one more than this trailer; that would invite me more into the film.
So, keep going FishingTV, I really hope you do well, you will never please all of the people all of the time however; some more thought into it maybe. A good draft/plan of what you want to show first and then set about producing it.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Really, that however doesn't explain how unbelievably popular (and long lasting) was Passion for Angling does it . . . . . while pictures of chaps running about whooping and shouting might appeal to a certain type of Carp angler, I am pretty sure that the vast majority would prefer to see something more . . . shall we say . . . stable?

Well yes it does because PFA in my opinion anyway managed to find the right balance.

Besides if you want to use PFA as an example then I recon your looking at things through rose tinted spectacles. It was following two eccentrics who let off fireworks by the lake side, Jumped 15 feet out of trees WHILST playing a fish, crammed large Carp into hopelessly inadequate landing nets and I don’t remember seeing too many unhooking mats on display either. I could probably find dozens of other examples of “bad” angling practice in it if I really went through with a fine tooth comb.

Point being if you really want to find fault with something you can.

Going back to the FishingTV episode..my problem is actually not so much anything to do with bad angling practice…I am sure they are all good, responsible anglers. My problem is I just find that style of angling video boring, simple as that. I think PFA ...and also the early John Wilson Go fishing episodes are far more interesting.

Last edited:

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Not really sure if this is a good idea - don't want to kick the hornet's nest again...

BUT - if anyone is curious to see how something like Carp Wars gets made then pop over to Facebook and give our page a like (www.facebook.com/fishingtv).

Paul the Director of Carp Wars is about to do a livestream broadcast from the first day of shooting of the second series of CW, and will hopefully give a bit of a picture of what goes into the making of a high quality (hopefully!) carp fishing show.

Here's the permalink to the video: https://www.facebook.com/fishingtv/videos/10158919781335545/

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I am surprised that anglers that advocate the use of ointment, feather beds, for their pets would use their pets in this way.
I forgot there must be money and advertising fees involved so that OK.