Frozen boilie help?

nova12

Reaction score
So i use frozen boilies and im noticing more ice in the bags frozen ice like snow covering them can this damage the boilies as ive got about 5kilo in there?
My freezer is lined with cardboard to prevent freezer burn as im already paranoid about that lol
Thanks

Frothey

Reaction score
Cardboard doesn't stop freezer burn.

Wouldn't worry about it, the baits will re absorb the moisture when they defrost. Freezer burn won't make any difference to a bait.

carpinbob

Reaction score
As said nothing to worry about I get that all the time.

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
make sure you take as much air as possible from your bag of boilies and make sure the bag is properly sealed

Frothey

Reaction score
Yes it does. It causes cellular damage to proteins.

If you read really carefully, I said it makes no difference as bait. Are you really telling me fish won't eat it, that they will choose a bait with no freezer burn on it? That a bit of burn on one bit of the bait damages all of the protein in the entire bait?

I think you need to get your head out of your biology books. Mind you, if you read it properly, you'd know that proteins don't have cells, they are a molecule that makes up the cell. so how can freezer burn cause cellular damage to a protein? Have a read up on cell structure before coming back to me.

Freezer burn is just the moisture being drawn out of the bait. Yes, some denaturing of protein might occur on the burnt bit, but we are talking bait here, not fillet steak.

laguna

Reaction score
If you read really carefully, I said it makes no difference as bait. Are you really telling me fish won't eat it, that they will choose a bait with no freezer burn on it? That a bit of burn on one bit of the bait damages all of the protein in the entire bait?

I think you need to get your head out of your biology books. Mind you, if you read it properly, you'd know that proteins don't have cells, they are a molecule that makes up the cell. so how can freezer burn cause cellular damage to a protein? Have a read up on cell structure before coming back to me.

Freezer burn is just the moisture being drawn out of the bait. Yes, some denaturing of protein might occur on the burnt bit, but we are talking bait here, not fillet steak.
You said;
Freezer burn won't make any difference to a bait.
It does. It alters it. If you had said it doesn't make 'much' difference as far as fish are concerned instead of 'any' difference, I wouldn't have bothered replying.
Very poor answer on your part.

Proteins do most of the work in cells which, amongst other things, are required for structuring. Freezing ruptures cellular walls by fluid expansion thus altering both their physical structure and their taste.

As for fish picking it up, sure they will but that isn't what I said. That particular argument is something else entirely, it depends on fish feeding behaviour and preference (given a choice) and anglers opinion/point of view, based on knowing that all food items suffer cellular freeze damage. All living things contain cells and are prone to damage through freezing, meat, cabbage, dead boilies, maggots and all.

Also consider the healthy bacteria that fish love which become dormant or killed by freezing.
Live bacteria, lots of them are the life blood of a good bait.

Frothey

Reaction score
You said;
It does. It alters it. If you had said it doesn't make 'much' difference as far as fish are concerned instead of 'any' difference, I wouldn't have bothered replying.
Very poor answer on your part.

Clutching at straws there. It makes zero difference as bait. Nada, Nothing, Niet. x

Yes, freezing can rupture cell walls damaging the cell, but that's not what you said. You said freezing damages the protein....

It's actually an argument going around in chemist/biologist circles as to whether there is any negatives to freezing protein - after all many protein supplements recommend being kept in the freezer.

Not sure why you've suddenly dropped bacteria into the conversation, but you are wrong. Freezing (in household freezers) only slows down the action of bacteria, warm it up and they carry on - otherwise you could eat raw, frozen chicken.
Besides, bacteria baits don't have bacteria added to them, they just promote the growth of bacteria in the environment around the bait. Theres plenty of bacteria in the lake without needing it in the bait. A normal way of activating a bacteria bait it to repeatedly freeze and defrost it......

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

These carp are clever sods.

Cleverer than a lot of anglers, which is worrying!

lee_j

Reaction score
Just air dry em it'll save space in the freezer and time reading mind numbing biology debates ;)