Spooling reels

nova12

Reaction score
Ive always spooled my reels with the spool in a bucket of water with the label facing UP with a glass on top to keep it facing that way but ive recently bought a new spool of the same line and it comes off the spool the opposite direction to my old 1? My questionn is if the line is coming off the spool clock wise should the spool be label side up or label side down?as i cant get my head round looking at the coils etc. Any help greatly appreciated as ive spooled 2 new baitrunners and i had bad line twist yesterday?thanks

Am i right in thinking if the spools on the floor face up that it should be coming off anti clockwise on to my reel? And looking at my reel spool side thats going round clockwise?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Nova12..............If you haven't done so already it may be worth doing a 'search' on FM as this subject discussed many time in the past and as general rules on loading line rarely change they should still be valid.
Obviously the Internet has much to offer on the subject, with pics to back up words...

nova12

Reaction score
The search wont work on my phone maybe not compatible thought id ask on here as thats what i thought the site was for? Help and advise?
Maybe im wrong so many contradicting ways on the net also does it really matter which way the lines coming off the spool if its lay with label facing up?

john step

Reaction score
The search wont work on my phone maybe not compatible thought id ask on here as thats what i thought the site was for? Help and advise?
Maybe im wrong so many contradicting ways on the net also does it really matter which way the lines coming off the spool if its lay with label facing up?

I always work on the principle that the line should come off the same way the bail arm goes round. Different makers will put labels on differently I think.

If you use the clutch to play fish and turn the handle you will get line twist.
I learned something on here recently about a product that you cast out at the end of the day and reel in to eliminate twist. Worked for me.

The reason I mention this is that if you do cock it up loading, one of these devices would sort it out for you.
Having a senior moment I can't remember the name of them but they look like a fluted pear shaped bomb.

robtherake

Reaction score
I always work on the principle that the line should come off the same way the bail arm goes round. Different makers will put labels on differently I think.

If you use the clutch to play fish and turn the handle you will get line twist.
I learned something on here recently about a product that you cast out at the end of the day and reel in to eliminate twist. Worked for me.

The reason I mention this is that if you do cock it up loading, one of these devices would sort it out for you.
Having a senior moment I can't remember the name of them but they look like a fluted pear shaped bomb.

Gardner Twistbuster leads?

paul80

Reaction score
I always spool mine so that the line comes off the spool the same way it is loaded at the factory (Or the reverse) that is spool on a spring loaded spindle with the line coming off the top, never had issues with line twist doing it that way.

Thats the most line makers recommend as well:wh

robtherake

Reaction score
As John mentioned, there are various ways to get built-up spin out of your line, one being Gardner's Spin Doctor leads, which are available in various sizes from 20g to 100g. Another quick fix is to pay out your line on a playing field and wind it back in, but the most ingenious is to stand on a suitable bridge and allow the flow to pull the line off the reel, the twist being pulled out at the same time.

When you fill your reel up the line will pay off one side in tight coils, so it's easy to see if you have it right. Turn the spool over and you'll notice the difference immediately.

Day Breamer

Reaction score