Redmire pool

thecrow

Reaction score
The fish would not have been accepted as a record at that time without the production of the body as evidence. As Walker himself recalled in "No Need To Lie" (1964):

"...I resolved that, record or no record, that fish should not be killed. Many, many times I had wondered what I should do if ever I caught a record carp; now I had to decide, and kill it I could not."

Thanks for that memory jog, I do remember now but the memory sometimes needs a bit of a kickstart :)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
It would be nice to see the placed turned back into an iconic fishery as it once was and return to it's former glory.

There are a number of famous ponds around that have fallen into decline and no longer have the magic they once held.

Going down the commercial route certainly did not work, it needs to private and selective, to recreate the old magic !!

Bob

B

binka

It would be nice to see the placed turned back into an iconic fishery as it once was and return to it's former glory.

There are a number of famous ponds around that have fallen into decline and no longer have the magic they once held.

Going down the commercial route certainly did not work, it needs to private and selective, to recreate the old magic !!

Bob

I would like to see that happen too Bob.

Imagine if Korda got it?

There could be a visitor centre with on site café, parking for 500 vans, guided tours around the lake with headphones that you can plug into a tree in each swim and listen to a narration, casting school, bivvy centre where you could also buy a Cuddly Clarissa etc. :eek:mg:

It would lose a foot of depth in the first six months through dumped leads :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

B

binka

Methinks we know who it was snoring at the back of Physics class!! :eek::doh:

At least you pegged it back to Physics Greenie, the harsher reality might also include English, Maths, Geography, History...

You get the picture :eek:mg: :)

thecrow

Reaction score
Have the estate been running the fishing or has it been rented out to someone else, if it has that might explain the apparent change from what it was to an expensive commercial.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have the estate been running the fishing or has it been rented out to someone else, if it has that might explain the apparent change from what it was to an expensive commercial.

As far as I am aware Redmire is still owned by the family who own Bernithan Court Farm but the fishing is administered by the appointed bailiff, Mr Les Bamford.

As for being an "expensive commercial" maybe "expensive" is a purely relative term?

As one who has fished, and caught from this iconic venue I think it was very good value for money . . . . . .

Bookings for the 2017/2018 Season are available this Sinday, January 29th:

Redmire Pool - Bookings

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that our idea's of what is expensive are poles apart Peter. :)

I am sure it is; as I said, "expensive" is relative . . . . . .

Most trout fisheries here in my neck of the woods will charge you around £50 for the day, and with a day on the Test or the Itchen running at well over £140, so £60 a day on Redmire is a "bargain" I would say.

On the other side of the coin I can fish Witherington Farm Lakes which is a great little commercial mixed fishery for £6 a day . . . . . . .

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
I agree a bit with Crow (what!!!!!!!!!!):eek:mg:

It was the fact you could not even contemplate fishing it that made it so special. For me when it was opened up, then netted, it all went tits up for me? The unavailable and unknown is always better, bit like females.:wh

steve2

Reaction score
Not being a carp catcher I never have been able to understand what makes this place so special. I see from the website that it is sold out for the season so there must be plenty that still think it worth it. Hopefully those paying to fish will feel it’s been worth it.
From what I have seen from the photos of people that say they have fished it's more like a tourist spot, Here is where Walker caught his carp, this is the view from the dam etc. a bit like a tourist in London.

thecrow

Reaction score
Its nothing more than a very expensive commercial that is living on past reputation.

£2000 minimum for the first week its a joke, £300 for a week in the summer per angler, no thanks I know of a water in France that I can fish for less than a third of that for a week, big fish and very rare to see other anglers on it, no contest.

Picnic area, souvenirs such as mugs and T-shirts, Ghost carp, don't know about the circus but maybe a fun fair is next on the list, totally ruined.

Last edited:

Chevin

Reaction score
I guess that most of us who have fished at Redmire have one or two iconic photo's of the place though I believe the famous willow died and that would have been a tragic loss. Thankfully I have a few pictures of the place though they are hardly good photo's. However, here is one of my favourites which I took when we were sitting under the willow during my first trip to the water. I apologise for the picture quality but I wasn't much of a photographer in those days. Two of those in the picture need no introduction but the guy with his back to me was Joe Taylor - the third of the Taylor brothers. Unfortunately both Fred and Ken have passed away, but as far as I am aware, Joe may still be with us.

fdjZhe.jpg

thecrow

Reaction score
I guess that most of us who have fished at Redmire have one or two iconic photo's of the place though I believe the famous willow died and that would have been a tragic loss. Thankfully I have a few pictures of the place though they are hardly good photo's. However, here is one of my favourites which I took when we were sitting under the willow during my first trip to the water. I apologise for the picture quality but I wasn't much of a photographer in those days. Two of those in the picture need no introduction but the guy with his back to me was Joe Taylor - the third of the Taylor brothers. Unfortunately both Fred and Ken have passed away, but as far as I am aware, Joe may still be with us.

fdjZhe.jpg

Lovely photograph from a time when the water was a special place.

psmith

Reaction score
Not being a carp catcher I never have been able to understand what makes this place so special. I see from the website that it is sold out for the season so there must be plenty that still think it worth it. Hopefully those paying to fish will feel it’s been worth it.
From what I have seen from the photos of people that say they have fished it's more like a tourist spot, Here is where Walker caught his carp, this is the view from the dam etc. a bit like a tourist in London.

Tweed Norfolk jackets, split cane rods and, of course, "pins", visiting Pitchfords, Walkers Pitch etc,

Chevin

Reaction score

I guess that if one looks at things from your point of view, what you say is perfectly true. However, angling is all about dreams. We dream of catching our biggest fish when going to bed before an outing. We dream of finding an unknown water full of monster fish. We dream of waters that we would like to fish. So, however you see things, there are always going to be anglers who want to fish Redmire simply because of its history and believe me, as you walk across the dam you feel that history even though much of it might be in your own mind. I know that I certainly felt that especially as the willow was in magnificent condition when I did so. Most of us have visited places that are revered by many only to find that in reality the visit has proved to be something of an anti-climax. However, many visiting Redmire for the first time will not see things as you see them and will take the thrill of fishing the water away with them and whether they have been successful or not, they will treasure those memories and enjoy telling their friends and families about them. I never caught a carp at Redmire, I had one run that failed to develop, but although my visits were in the early '60's they are outings I will never forget.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Redmire Pool, or to give it its proper name of Bernithan Court Farm lake has its history firmly established in angling history.

It was originally stocked with Trout but they didn't survive too well due to the thick weed and were replaced in 1934 (date?) by the 50 "Leney" Carp purchased for the princely sum of £2 17/6d.

In 1951 Bob Richards caught the famous 31 pounder and the next year **** Walker caught and landed "Ravioli" at 44 pounds to be renamed "Clarissa" when later housed in London Zoo.

Since then every major influence in UK Carp Angling has fished the famous pool including: Jack Hilton, Tom Mintram, Bill Quinlan, Len Arbery, Kevin Clifford, Peter Springate and Kevin Maddocks and, of course Chris Yates who broke ****'s record fish with a Carp of 51 pounds . . . .

Personally I have only ever fished it on the one occasion but it remains one of my few remaining ambitions to repeat the experience.

I think it would be a terrible shame to see Redmire fall into the hands of a non-fishing person, or organisation, or indeed for it to ever be tuned into anything other than the iconic Carp fishery that it still is today.

Nice recap. One thing that is not often mentioned is that Chris Yates also caught a 43.12oz common from Redmire before his 51.

I find it a bit sad whats become of it but I think its inevitable thats going to happen in the end. You cant win really. Either you keep it as a tightly controlled closed shop and get accused of elitism or you open it to all and then it becomes a circus.

In an ideal world what I would have liked to see happen was for it to get purchased by someone whose not after money & returns it to a private oasis, stocks a few Carp in it and lets it look after itself. Whether its then fished or not after that really is not important.