Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redmire pool

Blog Entries

Default Re: Redmire pool

Quote Originally Posted by David Rogers 3 View Post
    The fish would not have been accepted as a record at that time without the production of the body as evidence. As Walker himself recalled in "No Need To Lie" (1964):

"...I resolved that, record or no record, that fish should not be killed. Many, many times I had wondered what I should do if ever I caught a record carp; now I had to decide, and kill it I could not."
    Thanks for that memory jog, I do remember now but the memory sometimes needs a bit of a kickstart
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

It would be nice to see the placed turned back into an iconic fishery as it once was and return to it's former glory.

There are a number of famous ponds around that have fallen into decline and no longer have the magic they once held.

Going down the commercial route certainly did not work, it needs to private and selective, to recreate the old magic !!

Bob
    http://www.calmproductions.com/acatalog.com/ospreysg.html#aOSPREY

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hornegold View Post
    It would be nice to see the placed turned back into an iconic fishery as it once was and return to it's former glory.

There are a number of famous ponds around that have fallen into decline and no longer have the magic they once held.

Going down the commercial route certainly did not work, it needs to private and selective, to recreate the old magic !!

Bob
    I would like to see that happen too Bob.

Imagine if Korda got it?

There could be a visitor centre with on site café, parking for 500 vans, guided tours around the lake with headphones that you can plug into a tree in each swim and listen to a narration, casting school, bivvy centre where you could also buy a Cuddly Clarissa etc.

It would lose a foot of depth in the first six months through dumped leads

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    ....It would lose a foot of depth in the first six months through dumped leads .....
    Methinks we know who it was snoring at the back of Physics class!!

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greenie62 View Post
    Methinks we know who it was snoring at the back of Physics class!!
    At least you pegged it back to Physics Greenie, the harsher reality might also include English, Maths, Geography, History...

You get the picture

Blog Entries

Have the estate been running the fishing or has it been rented out to someone else, if it has that might explain the apparent change from what it was to an expensive commercial.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    Have the estate been running the fishing or has it been rented out to someone else, if it has that might explain the apparent change from what it was to an expensive commercial.
    As far as I am aware Redmire is still owned by the family who own Bernithan Court Farm but the fishing is administered by the appointed bailiff, Mr Les Bamford.

As for being an "expensive commercial" maybe "expensive" is a purely relative term?

As one who has fished, and caught from this iconic venue I think it was very good value for money . . . . . .

Bookings for the 2017/2018 Season are available this Sinday, January 29th:

Redmire Pool - Bookings
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 23-01-2017 at 11:03.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    As for being an "expensive commercial" maybe "expensive" is a purely relative term?

As one who has fished, and caught from this iconic venue I think it was very good value for money

I'm afraid that our idea's of what is expensive are poles apart Peter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    I'm afraid that our idea's of what is expensive are poles apart Peter.
    I am sure it is; as I said, "expensive" is relative . . . . . .

Most trout fisheries here in my neck of the woods will charge you around £50 for the day, and with a day on the Test or the Itchen running at well over £140, so £60 a day on Redmire is a "bargain" I would say.

On the other side of the coin I can fish Witherington Farm Lakes which is a great little commercial mixed fishery for £6 a day . . . . . . .
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 23-01-2017 at 11:59.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I agree a bit with Crow (what!!!!!!!!!!)

It was the fact you could not even contemplate fishing it that made it so special. For me when it was opened up, then netted, it all went **** up for me? The unavailable and unknown is always better, bit like females.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast