method feeder for bigger carp

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have done really well on comercials with method feeders on quiver tip rods but since done so well im thinking i would use ut a bit in with bigger carp fishing ( carp bigger than match sized ) .

Thinking to use the ESP mega method feeder and easy to load and done well using drennan ones , would you guys still cast as often as would do when match fishing for half a dozen casts and then leave in for upto 15 - 20 minutes ? lakes i will be fishing is not great long casts around 30- 40 yards .

Also what would be best use on the feeder i have heard people say to attract the bigger carp its better to use ground bait than micro pellets how true is this ?

would it nit be best to use a mix of ground bait and pellets even if step up from micros and go to 4mm ?

never tried method for bigger carp but have had a 16lb common when was at a comercial on the method .

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I think the answer will be dependent on the density of fish stocked in the water you are fishing. If it's a commercial it will be very different from an established old estate lake where there is hardly any competitive feeding going on. If you tried recasting every 20 mins on the lakes I grew up on you'd never catch a thing :)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes that's true , a highly stocked commercial yes cast 20 mins but a slower carp or estate lake Probally a couple casts to get bait down and leave for 45 minuites or an hour . We all know carp are like hovers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
The method can work just as well for big carp (on full on carp gear) as it does for smaller ones. The biggest issue is often getting the mix right for casting the greater distances that many carpers will aim for. It's sometimes a lot easier just to use a PVA bag.

As Geoff suggests, casting frequency is going to depend on fish numbers, the level of activity and how spooky the fish are. Big lakes with low stocks and wary fish aren't likely to respond too well to frequent casting, most of the time.

sagalout

Reaction score
The esp site has an article on their method feeders for big carp, also I think Martin Bowler has a video on youtube about the method for specimen fishing.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks all , as said the lakes im fishing are not long distance casting but if i do go on a lake where the casting is further i normally would use a pva mesh bag .

have not tried pva solid bags yet , i seen videos how to load the bags and to use a inline lead but the idea of a inline drop off lead im not fond of ...

what the best way to tie the bags to your mainline ?

only way i have thought is to tie bags up ready with lead in on a short peice of mainline with a large loop in and a loop in mainline and pass through and loop over the bag nd pull tight

Frothey

Reaction score
I prefer using method to pva bags - it's much more flexible and lends itself to liquid attractors and wet weather! And within 10 mins or so there's little difference between what a pva bag and a ball of method looks like on the bottom anyway. With the right mix method can be cast decent distances - it was perfected at Horseshoe years back when the main feeding areas are 80-100 yds off the point into winter bay.
I've had uk fish to 35+ and garlicky ones to 50+ on method. It's not all about pasties!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
What's the best groundbait to buy to make a stiff mix then for distance ? I tend to use fake corn when on match sized method or small 8mm pellet , surley you want a balanced bait so can be sucked in easy when mr carp cones hoovering all up ?

Think I will give both a go this season , guessing more of a warmer weather approach ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frothey

Reaction score
Dampen pellet with hydrolysed fish protein/molasses/CSL and you will be able to get a pretty firm, highly attractive mix - you don't want too many coarse materials in it to stop it breaking up on the cast. Fake corn is perfect as a hook bait, or something like Pallatrax's snails.
Just as good in winter as summer.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
when you say damp pellets would you go for course pellets in micros or 4 mm ?

or a higher oil pellet , dont normally use high oil except on the hook

Frothey

Reaction score
The pellet is really just a carrier of the liquid attractors - I just use whatever I have laying around. Prefer oily ones tho.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i thought that would of broken up on cast unless wetted to a mush ?

i wet course pellets for match match style tactics and i know they would not cast the distance .Unless over wetted them and added some bovril and a bit of groundbait

Frothey

Reaction score
To be clear :

Pellets in bowl
Add whatever liquid attractors (or none)
Add boiling water until just covered
Leave until cool

Will end up with a stiff paste prefect for casting. I only add other bits if I'm not casting more than 60/70 yds as it can break up on the cast - though most of my fishing is at shorter ranges than that and I want the ball to break down quick to add attraction.

I couldn't tell you what my prefered method mix is, I have a bucket that any old bread gets crumbed into, old bits of base mix, spices, odd bag of fishmeal, grated old cheese, etc goes into. Permanently evolving! Add to that hydrolysed protein, tin of tuna, bit of corn and away you go.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
that sounds very carpy !

i dont tend to cast far as the lakes i fish have islands on and there around 40 yards out and the other lake will be a bit less as its a long lake like a wide canal.

so in theory could make a mix with groundbait , boilie base mix , pellets and then liquid attractant . never tried using tuna before . does it work well ?

Frothey

Reaction score
No, it's rubbish. That's why I put it in there :eek:mg:

Lol

Chuck in a tin of tuna thats been in sunflower oil. I also keep the drain off from when the missus and kids have tuna sandwiches - just put it in an old container and freeze, and keep topping up. Can do the same with sweet corn brine.

Really, carp will eat anything.....

associatedmatt

Reaction score
never seen anyone using tuna before thats all:eek:mg:

thanks i will give it a go

Frothey

Reaction score
If you search frothey method fishngmagic you might find an old article at I did, though it may have been consigned to the bin, along with many other great articles by some great anglers when the new site went up. BAD, as the tweeting orange narcissist would say.

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

never seen anyone using tuna before thats all:eek:mg:

thanks i will give it a go

Tuna based baits have been around for years. The newer version of L030 (hydrolysed fish protein) is based on Tuna - it's a fantastic, oily, meaty fish.

Philip

Reaction score
Its funny how the method often gets associated with heavily stocked waters & smaller fish as it will catch any Carp out there.

I also dont see it as a technique where you have to be casting regularly either. As someone else mentioned I dont see it much different to using a PVA bag and there are allot of advantages over PVA as well.

I actually think many anglers are also too conservative on the size of the method ball as well...I have used some real footballs in my time especially on rivers and fishing in close.

A really large ball dropped in close will be trickling off feed for a long time as bits pull off it in the current...like a mega sized swimfeeder.

A little tip ..if your fishing in close with a mega sized ball and even your 3.5 lb TC whopper stoppers are creaking on an underhand cast then dont be afraid to lob in it by hand ..

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Its funny how the method often gets associated with heavily stocked waters & smaller fish as it will catch any Carp out there.

I also dont see it as a technique where you have to be casting regularly either. As someone else mentioned I dont see it much different to using a PVA bag and there are allot of advantages over PVA as well.

I actually think many anglers are also too conservative on the size of the method ball as well...I have used some real footballs in my time especially on rivers and fishing in close.

A really large ball dropped in close will be trickling off feed for a long time as bits pull off it in the current...like a mega sized swimfeeder.

A little tip ..if your fishing in close with a mega sized ball and even your 3.5 lb TC whopper stoppers are creaking on an underhand cast then dont be afraid to lob in it by hand ..

what about open bail arm and leave on rests then stick in a mega catapult :D