Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default method feeder for bigger carp

I have done really well on comercials with method feeders on quiver tip rods but since done so well im thinking i would use ut a bit in with bigger carp fishing ( carp bigger than match sized ) .

Thinking to use the ESP mega method feeder and easy to load and done well using drennan ones , would you guys still cast as often as would do when match fishing for half a dozen casts and then leave in for upto 15 - 20 minutes ? lakes i will be fishing is not great long casts around 30- 40 yards .

Also what would be best use on the feeder i have heard people say to attract the bigger carp its better to use ground bait than micro pellets how true is this ?

would it nit be best to use a mix of ground bait and pellets even if step up from micros and go to 4mm ?

never tried method for bigger carp but have had a 16lb common when was at a comercial on the method .

Blog Entries

Default Re: method feeder for bigger carp

I think the answer will be dependent on the density of fish stocked in the water you are fishing. If it's a commercial it will be very different from an established old estate lake where there is hardly any competitive feeding going on. If you tried recasting every 20 mins on the lakes I grew up on you'd never catch a thing
    So many cormorants.... so few recipes.

Yes that's true , a highly stocked commercial yes cast 20 mins but a slower carp or estate lake Probally a couple casts to get bait down and leave for 45 minuites or an hour . We all know carp are like hovers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The method can work just as well for big carp (on full on carp gear) as it does for smaller ones. The biggest issue is often getting the mix right for casting the greater distances that many carpers will aim for. It's sometimes a lot easier just to use a PVA bag.

As Geoff suggests, casting frequency is going to depend on fish numbers, the level of activity and how spooky the fish are. Big lakes with low stocks and wary fish aren't likely to respond too well to frequent casting, most of the time.

The esp site has an article on their method feeders for big carp, also I think Martin Bowler has a video on youtube about the method for specimen fishing.

thanks all , as said the lakes im fishing are not long distance casting but if i do go on a lake where the casting is further i normally would use a pva mesh bag .

have not tried pva solid bags yet , i seen videos how to load the bags and to use a inline lead but the idea of a inline drop off lead im not fond of ...

what the best way to tie the bags to your mainline ?

only way i have thought is to tie bags up ready with lead in on a short peice of mainline with a large loop in and a loop in mainline and pass through and loop over the bag nd pull tight

Blog Entries

Put the bait in the bag first then some freebies followed by your lead top up with freebies seal it up cast it out, no tangles no caught up on weed all in a neat bundle

Lots of videos on you tube heres one
    Last edited by thecrow; 04-03-2017 at 18:02.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

I prefer using method to pva bags - it's much more flexible and lends itself to liquid attractors and wet weather! And within 10 mins or so there's little difference between what a pva bag and a ball of method looks like on the bottom anyway. With the right mix method can be cast decent distances - it was perfected at Horseshoe years back when the main feeding areas are 80-100 yds off the point into winter bay.
    I've had uk fish to 35+ and garlicky ones to 50+ on method. It's not all about pasties!
    You're born, you take sh*t. You get out in the world, you take more sh*t. You climb a little higher, you take less sh*t. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what sh*t even looks like. It's just a shame I'm still on the first rung!

What's the best groundbait to buy to make a stiff mix then for distance ? I tend to use fake corn when on match sized method or small 8mm pellet , surley you want a balanced bait so can be sucked in easy when mr carp cones hoovering all up ?

Think I will give both a go this season , guessing more of a warmer weather approach ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Dampen pellet with hydrolysed fish protein/molasses/CSL and you will be able to get a pretty firm, highly attractive mix - you don't want too many coarse materials in it to stop it breaking up on the cast. Fake corn is perfect as a hook bait, or something like Pallatrax's snails.
    Just as good in winter as summer.
    You're born, you take sh*t. You get out in the world, you take more sh*t. You climb a little higher, you take less sh*t. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what sh*t even looks like. It's just a shame I'm still on the first rung!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast