Solid pva bag without leader

associatedmatt

Reaction score
How would you tie up ready made bags without a leader as leaders are banned .

Going to get some bits to give pva fishing a try and going to be using fake corn and going to tie own rigs rather than buying 3 for just under £5

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frothey

Reaction score
If wouldn't bother making up bags in advance, it takes moments to do them on the bank when needed.

If you are adamant you want to, how I do it is to use a helicopter rig, but instead of a swivel lead use an inline. Use a ring swivel on the end of the line, so that the swivel pulls into the lead, leaving the ring exposed. Then just tie the bag to the ring. Hope that makes sense.

Another reason to use method.....

Philip

Reaction score
I imagine the club bans leaders as they are worried about leader knots not being able to pass through leads or clips and becoming tether rigs.

However I don’t really understand the question. I don’t see what a leader has to do with using solid PVA bags. I use solid PVA bags on rigs with the mainline straight through. I usually just bung the whole lot so hooklink, lead and all into the bag twist the bag round and lash it closed with a bit of PVA tape or string above the lead. (tape is better for this I recon). No need to use anti tangle tube. Although like Frothy said why not just use the method instead.

Frothey

Reaction score
XRe: Solid pva bag without leader

The comics say you have to have at least 4 or 5 pre tied bags ready, with using lead-core/camo leaders with a loop at the end to a:save seconds when recasting and b:sell more leaders

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I say to have them pre tied is that once wound in the lead and everything else is all wet and rather everything is all dry before placing in a bag .

I'm sure leaders are banned due to the fact they don't want death / tether rigs

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes good idea once dried towel could just dunk in maize flour or even plain flour . But it seems handy to have a couple tied up ready but think if tie a few lengths of mainline with a big loop in end and a typical sized loop on reel mainline so can loop to loop it on .

Frothey

Reaction score
That wouldn't get around a leader ban, and besides there's then 2 more weak points in the line and two loops to pick up weed....

associatedmatt

Reaction score
But technically it's not a leader just mono tied with loops in end , but I see your point .

Stupid rule though ! Allowed leaders on spods though

dave m

Reaction score
ive fished solid bags for years and to get over the issue of wet leads and clips etc i would have a mix of pellet sizes, micro, 2, 4mm and also some trout pellet powder. a quick dry on an old pub beer towel [removing the tail rubber to ensure that little bit of awkward moisture is removed] then dunk into pellet bucket and roll around.
same with fingers if the hands are damp.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Great , thanks .

I would be using inline leads but same principle .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Spod no , we'll never ever tried spodding as new to bigger carp fishing

Philip

Reaction score
Re: XRe: Solid pva bag without leader

The comics say you have to have at least 4 or 5 pre tied bags ready, with using lead-core/camo leaders with a loop at the end to a:save seconds when recasting and b:sell more leaders

Ah the penny drops. I see. I am not really up to date with the mags anymore so I often miss all these new & novel ways to sell more tackle to the unsuspecting.

I recon they missed a trick however ..surely even quicker would be to have 4 new rods all setup with identical tackle ready to cast...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I don't follow a lot of the tv series that try to sell you gimmicks I mainly watch matt Hayes and the like . I only thought a few pre tied bags as what got told in tackle shop and makes life easier but I surpose bites are not fast carp fishing so you have time .

Don't think I would have both rods on pva bags , other be straight ledger with pellet boile etc over a scattering of bait ... This is where need to learn about marking and spodding

dave m

Reaction score
keep it simple and solid bag both, mixed pellets and 3-4 broken boilies in the bag with a small scattering of boilies. also dont ignore 3-4 bait stringers.

more important than spodding is using the marker float to suss out where the carp are likely to be. only then is it worth putting some more bait out.

i wouldnt bother spodding too much of there are many bream roach and tench about as they'll soon mop it up. if getting pestered with nuisance fish then go boilie only with small bags just to get the small handful of bait tight to the rig, a couple of full baits and a few halfs and quarters with a small handful of pellet just to fill the voids so the bags are solid and tight.
20 boilies per rod is a good starting position and if getting nuisance fish dont be worried about going up to 20mm freebies.