Who likes Carp

Philip

Reaction score
As there not having been a single post on the Carp forum for 6 days I thought I'd ask ....

:wh:D

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Count me in , but I'm of to lake that has tench and snottys in on sat but after the tench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

They're not for me.

I don't mind the odd one now and again but the complete saturation of the damned things in so many waters puts me right off.

A carp was a bit of a rarity and something special when I was a kid, in the main they're just an obstacle to avoid for me nowadays.

I still can't help but admire the few half decent, mainly commons that I tend to catch each season though.

steve2

Reaction score
Carp at onetime were something special. A fish that were said to so difficult to catch you spend lifetime fishing for and not get a double. We now know that this was due to the fact that they there were not there to be caught and that they are no more difficult to catch than any other fish. Only if targeting big carp on big under stocked waters are they difficult but that is more down to location but than any fish in big waters is the same.
In my mind the overstocking of them and the escaping into every river, stream and pond in the country as made them a pest. I blame them for destroying far more fisheries than cormorants and otter ever will.
Do I like carp, only if they are on a plate surrounded by chips.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For me a carp of around 8-10lb caught on 6lb line on the rod is a nice fish

The fish in the carp mags of 30lb plus with a gut like that of a Rotherham teenager is not for me

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They're not for me.

I don't mind the odd one now and again but the complete saturation of the damned things in so many waters puts me right off.

A carp was a bit of a rarity and something special when I was a kid, in the main they're just an obstacle to avoid for me nowadays.

I still can't help but admire the few half decent, mainly commons that I tend to catch each season though.

You're thoughts are pretty much the same as my own Steve.

They weren't common around these parts when I was growing up and to catch one was a novelty, but now they seem to be everywhere and it's as though they are all people want to fish for. I've no problem with people liking them etc but as you say to saturate every water out there, especially old established waters is out of order. I think the same scenario is starting to happen with Wel's catfish which is going to have an even greater effect on the native species of fish and anything else that dares dip it's toes into the water!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
If I had the money I would have my own private small pond ;)

thecrow

Reaction score
Yes I like Carp and so does the tackle trade that without Carp would not be doing as well as it is and even then we see regular tackle shop closures. All tackle innovations nowadays come from 2 places, Carp fishing and match fishing and I don't know of anyone from both disciplines that complain about catching them.

I like catching all fish yes even Bream on the right tackle in the right conditions and as anyone that has fished for big ones they are no mug fish. Carp as all other fish can be very difficult or very easy to catch no different and that applies now as it always did.

On the 2 forums I use I see derogatory remarks about Carp and the anglers that fish for them, mud pigs is a favourite for some posters the anglers are drunken drugged up yobs, they sleep while their rods are out they leave litter etc etc. Well the Carp anglers I see/know are not like this so I will ask just one question, who leaves the rubbish on waters/rivers that have no carp or low stocks of them?

I will never understand why others have this attitude when they choose to fish waters that are well stocked with them (waters that probably wouldn't exist without Carp) there are lots of places that have low numbers of Carp, look for those waters, fish rivers, don't fish that oh so convenient commie and then moan about catching Carp. That though would entail doing a little work though wouldn't it?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I agree with the crow carp anglers are lab bled up as young drunk or drugged up yobs . It's the tar brush affect . I fish for carp but on different methods . What's wrong with a float lift style in the margins ?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Yes I like Carp and so does the tackle trade that without Carp would not be doing as well as it is and even then we see regular tackle shop closures. All tackle innovations nowadays come from 2 places, Carp fishing and match fishing and I don't know of anyone from both disciplines that complain about catching them.

I like catching all fish yes even Bream on the right tackle in the right conditions and as anyone that has fished for big ones they are no mug fish. Carp as all other fish can be very difficult or very easy to catch no different and that applies now as it always did.

On the 2 forums I use I see derogatory remarks about Carp and the anglers that fish for them, mud pigs is a favourite for some posters the anglers are drunken drugged up yobs, they sleep while their rods are out they leave litter etc etc. Well the Carp anglers I see/know are not like this so I will ask just one question, who leaves the rubbish on waters/rivers that have no carp or low stocks of them?

I will never understand why others have this attitude when they choose to fish waters that are well stocked with them (waters that probably wouldn't exist without Carp) there are lots of places that have low numbers of Carp, look for those waters, fish rivers, don't fish that oh so convenient commie and then moan about catching Carp. That though would entail doing a little work though wouldn't it?

some carp anglers will leave litter get drunk but that's the type of people they are wether they Re carp fishing or not , they will drink in parks and throw litter

There are plenty of coarse anglers that leave cans and tins in their swim get drunk and shout

It should be down to the fishery owners to stop that type of behaviour carp or coarse angles

john step

Reaction score
I like carp in the right circumstances. I echo the memory that they used to be rare and an event to catch them.

I can remember as a kid fishing Raphaels Park in Romford when someone caught a huge carp. Actually about 2lbs. All he kids went running to see it!!

As Crow says, some call them mud pigs. I have been guilty of this. Its all about the circumstances for me as I said above.

I went yesterday to an easy water and had 6. I like to go to such place SOMETIMES to have an easy day without too much preparation or to try a new technique to see if it works.
These waters are good for that.

I have another syndicate water which has a low stock of carp. Any carp from there is an event and in my eyes worth a 100 of the ones from the previously mentioned water. Even a small one.

Upon reflection, as Crow says the tackle trade would be poorer without them. I just am grateful I have full mobility and fitness and can choose which type of venue I like at any time.

I actually feel quite sorry for those carp that have to exist in muddy coloured overstocked waters getting continually caught.

I do prefer roach tench pike etc though:)

thecrow

Reaction score
some carp anglers will leave litter get drunk but that's the type of people they are wether they Re carp fishing or not , they will drink in parks and throw litter

There are plenty of coarse anglers that leave cans and tins in their swim get drunk and shout

It should be down to the fishery owners to stop that type of behaviour carp or coarse angles

Echo's my own thoughts :)

rayner

Reaction score
I had a couple of seasons actually fishing for them.
Now I've gone back to silver fishing
Unfortunately I still get the sods because I'm forced to fish over stocked commercials. You can always tell when fishing for roach to expect a carp because the swim goes quiet.
I never liked the idea of commercials but without them I would never get out of the house. Now I have learnt to accept commercials are part of my fishing, even if the carp have to stick their nose in.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I agree with the crow carp anglers are lab bled up as young drunk or drugged up yobs . It's the tar brush affect . I fish for carp but on different methods . What's wrong with a float lift style in the margins ?

Because some pillock from kkkkk korda hasn't been on arsebook singing it's praises. Kiddies today,pffft.

sagalout

Reaction score
I like catching when I go so I don't care what it is, don't particularly like skimmers, I do particularly like F1's when I can get them going and catch loads up in the water and I really, really, like crucians, never go big carp fishing but I like catching carp.

I suspect the reason there are no posts in the carp section is this does not tend to be a specimen carp forum.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Because some pillock from kkkkk korda hasn't been on arsebook singing it's praises. Kiddies today,pffft.

Correct ! On one occasion I was float fishing in the margins with a barbel rod then 3 young lads came past and said hello and asked how the fishing was going . Had a little chat for a few minutes and they walked off and set up around 15 yards up the bank next thing I hear them taking the Michael out of "the floppy rod " I was using ! There rods looked like 3lb carp rods but can't be sure on the lb . The average fish is the lake is 12-16lb .

Been said many times , some people think you need carp rods to fish for carp !