More sticky method mix

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I tried the method feeder for specimen carp but compared to match tactics where the groundbait/ pellets come off feeder not long after hits the lake bed I was trying to get the mix more sticky by over wetting and could get to stick better but soon broke down .

Is there a better method mix to use ? Needs to be sticky as once cast I don't want to keep casting . Idea was to bait up with a few balls too .

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I find a couple of capfuls of one of the Sensas Aromix liquids stirred into the water used to mix the groundbait makes it stick on the feeder better and also slows the breakdown time.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Never heard of that before , anything can add to make more stogy , I thought of a boilie mix but a tad exspensive

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No need to add anything to this stuff from Bait-tech. It sticks on a method feeder like sh1t to a blanket. Mix it fairly wet then leave it for half an hour.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Guess you have used it before peter ? Guess stays in ball form for some time ?

Cheers

B

binka

If I'm looking for something really sticky I soak mixed sizes of hali pellets (usually 6mm to 16mm) for twenty minutes before draining the water off and leaving them overnight.

It does give a very sticky mix the next day, I first started doing it when I was wanging heavy method feeders silly distances and wanted a really 'robust' mix.

If you want different flavouring you can always use an additive in the soaking water or add a concentrated squidge when you're loading up the method mould.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Binka when you soak pellets what is the end result like are they still pellet form or turned to mush ?

B

binka

It's a bit of a mix really which is what makes it so sticky, the larger pellets remain firm in shape but squidge nicely whilst the smaller ones do mush down and help to form a binder.

It sounds very hap hazard but it's really easy and always works for me.

I've added tuna flakes in this case but you can see that the larger pellets look fairly normal but in fact are a nice softness for compacting onto the feeder and staying there for some time...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks . It's a shame one water il be fishing ban halibut pellets !

Wonder if halibut groundbait is as sticky ?

B

binka

Thanks . It's a shame one water il be fishing ban halibut pellets !

Wonder if halibut groundbait is as sticky ?

Is it pellets generally Matt or just hali pellets they ban as I reckon it would work with any oily pellet?

I've used the groundbait and it's ok but I don't think it's as sticky as the soaked pellets although a jar to sprinkle on dry and stiffen up your soaked pellets, if need be, sounds like a good idea.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Halibut and trout pellets are banned . My local tackle shop do there own and call them little Gemz there different in colour but you can tell there oily by feel . I've got some 8's ol try a small bits today and see what turns out like . Do you submerse in water and then drain off ?

B

binka

Do you submerse in water and then drain off ?

Yep, I cover completely with an extra inch or so of water to allow for soaking and then drain around twenty minutes later, if you can keep the drained water for another mix of something else it's potent stuff.

I've poured some around garden plants in the past and boy do they like it! :)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cheers il give it a go il try 20 minuites if too much il adjust to suit .

Thing is I find with commercial mixes of damp pellets they come off the feeder too soon , I would like the mix to stay on feeder for a while so the fish attack the feeder but then break down slow of coarse

---------- Post added at 06:38 ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 ----------

Soaked pellets for 20 minuites and found there slimy and started to break down on outside but still rock hard when squeeze , will leave and see how goes .

Also got some vitalin and did a 50:50 mix and goes very stogy . Threw up in the garden lawn around 10ft and landed and didn't even break open . Like cricket a cricket ball . Is that a bit too stodgy ?

robtherake

Reaction score
Yep, I cover completely with an extra inch or so of water to allow for soaking and then drain around twenty minutes later, if you can keep the drained water for another mix of something else it's potent stuff.

I've poured some around garden plants in the past and boy do they like it! :)

Off topic, but the water from boiled or steamed veg is similarly good for your plants. Cooled, of course.:)

I've noticed that quite a few method feeder anglers use micros, but I can't get along with them in their normal state, finding that they have the sticking power of Teflon, and either add a small handful of a Horlicks equivalent or a little powdered Vitalin. Both work, but the Vitalin makes for a longer-lasting, heavier mix which resists the efforts of small fish to whittle it down.

In the past I've used pure Vitalin augmented with a big handful of small particles and the juice that they were in - it's amazing how many particles it can carry without losing its sticking power. With such a dense mix, which will often still be sticking to the feeder after playing a fish, I tend to leave the bait hanging just outside the method ball. I've been thinking of going back to using this, on the small tri-lobed method feeders, since it offers a very different presentation from the flat method feeders that most others are using.

TBH, if I'm using pellets I tend to go for the 3 or 4mm size, finding that they don't need as much attention to keep them wetted to the right consistency during a session. As Steve mentions, a tin of tuna in brine improves their pulling power no end.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Let's face it comercial method feeder tactics are different to bigger species method feeder where you want it to stick together for longer as find micros or groundbait font stay on top well , so generally I been using lead and pellet or pva on commies

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Great but thinking about it what would eggs do ?

laguna

Reaction score
Great but thinking about it what would eggs do ?

You don't need eggs for a method mix Matt. Raw eggs are bad for fish health, cooked eggs are insoluble, lock in flavours and prevent baits breaking down easily.
PONDBOND is used for making soluble paste, egg-free/boil-free un-boilies, method mix etc. depending on what you want.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
How would I use it with pellets that been soaked and left overnight like binkas method ?