Shimano beastmaster xda 7000

mickb

Reaction score
I'm thinking of giving carp fishing a try over the summer. For the last 15 years I've only fished rivers so I'm a bit out of touch. I got some 3lb carp rods I bought but I sold my carp reels years ago. Im on a budget really. Looking at about 70 quid per reel at maximum. I trust shimano reels and would honestly buy a standard shimano reel than a high spec one from other brands. I've seen the beastmaster xda 7000 up for sale at about 55 quid which seems good value. Has anyone used them for any length of time and can give me some comments if the reel is worth buying or is there a better alternative at around the same price?

mickb

Reaction score
Hi Chris. Thanks for the reply. I thought all carp anglers now use big pit reels? Sorry if I'm wrong. Been out of carp fishing for a long time now.

chrissh

Reaction score
Look at the places you will be fishing. What is the average fish weight and how big is the lake(s)

If you can have a walk around and chat with others fishing on the lakes look and see what they’re using then make your mind up what reel you feel you will need

Big pit reels 3.50 t/c rods can be over gunned for a lot of the UK lakes

I have caught and landed 15lb + carp on a 10ft commercial feeder rod & a 2500 baitrunner loaded with 6lb main line 4lb hook length

You don’t need 20lb line to catch 20-30lb carp if you do go for a big pit reel take your rod to the shop a fit the reel and feel the balance of the rod and reel before buying the reel

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i use the shimano dl's got a pair of 4000's and a pair of 10000's good reels and think i paid £55 the most for 10000's each

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Mick

A big consideration - in terms of whether you go for the big pits - is the range you want to fish at. In the right hands, a beefy tc rod an big pit reel will hit considerable distance (100 yards +). Having said that, on a number of waters, casting that sort of distance is completely unnecessary. So, what kind of waters have you got in mind at the moment?

I would have thought that a pair of the Shimano ST6000 or ST10000 baitrunners would be a better bet to begin with. Shop around and you should be able to get the pair for about £85 total, leaving a fair bit of change.