Sonik Carp Rods - I feel conned!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sonik are the same blank as the greys, so what ever you buy, your buying the same.

Also Sonik was set up when a guy from greys went out on his own, he was one of greys designers. The Sonik is a great rod, No I haven't got any, and I dont like the Greys either.

The deal of three for the price of two has now finished round this way.

Free Spirit or Harrison, they are the dogs ********

Carpmark

Reaction score
Right lets get one thing straight, before you go slating someing make sure you have facts!!

Sonik rods are not on greys blanks, thats official.

Did you lovely mis informed shop keeper advise you that the an behind sonik is Mr Ian Mc Cormick , The man who for manyyears made greys/hardy/and chub what they are today, He was head of all there research development and design. The blanks come from the same factory, but what you will find is that the sonik blanks have got 10% more power than the equivelent greys model.

The SK3 is in direct comp with the prodigy plus rods, where as the SK4 is up against the new torsion range from greys.

The difference with sonik is the cost. there is very little mark up on Sonik rods yet quite a good return on greys.

From all I have researched and from speaking to the head of sonik and a regional rep of greys/hardy/chub id go for the sonik rods everytime.

If you fail to send your warranty back to greys within a set timescale you cannot claim on your "lifetime warranty" With sonik you send off when u need to. Simple.

Carpmark

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Sonik are the same blank as the greys, so what ever you buy, your buying the same.

Also Sonik was set up when a guy from greys went out on his own, he was one of greys designers. The Sonik is a great rod, No I haven't got any, and I dont like the Greys either.

Free Spirit or Harrison, they are the dogs ********</blockquote>The 3 for 2 deal is now back on. at goos stockists anyways lol

Terry Moody

Reaction score
A couple of things - firstly my experience with Greys is first class, I broke a top section on one of my Barbel Prodigys and a new top section was send by return with no questions asked.

But, and this is a big but, a couple of months ago I ended up buying three Century NGs (actually for pike fishing rather than carp) the action being good, and the ability to heave big deadbaits to the horizon were key factors in choosing Century. After using them perhaps 15 times, I am over the moon with them. The quality is simply a different level and my casting is more accurate and longer!

Not detracting from Chinese kit, but you pay your money and take your chance.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Carpmark wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Free Spirit or Harrison, they are the dogs ********</blockquote>The 3 for 2 deal is now back on. at goos stockists anyways lol</blockquote>

Not round here it isn't. and NO I didn't get the info from the shop regarding the blanks being the same, that info came via an e/mail from some one in the trade, so, some where, some one is telling porkys.

Carpmark

Reaction score
Have a noce on the internet and the 3 for 2 deal is still on. There is a shop in preston that stocks the rods still on this deal.

Chris Spreckley

Reaction score
As a gamefisher as well ascourse may I say and statethat Sonik told me following my asking them some technical questions about their Fly rods that the SK3 blank differed from the SK4 blank in just two ways, oneway that isfor each rod.

1] The Sonik SK3 blank action is parabolic through.
2] The Sonik SK4 blank action is Tip or fast actioned.
There are no other differences. The price difference then is down to the costs involved in the manufacture of actions.

I am prepared to believe that they would not tell anybody a different story as the action of a fly rod is distinctive and therefore very recognisable. A wrong explanation would therefore soon be discovered as false.

I have also read a most stunning appraisal of their sea rods by Mr., Alan Yates in Sea Angler of last year.

I have no reason to disbelieve that similar technicality should be attributed to Sonik SK course rods of which with some regret I have to say I have none.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I can't speak for the carp rods as I don't have any of the Sonik ones but the SK4 fly rod is utterly superb a brilliant fast actioned dry fly rod and a total bargain for the price.

The action is vastly better than that of much more expensive rods I can't recommend it highly enough.