Carp Rant

steve2

Reaction score
Was out fishing yesterday and it showed up to me just what is wrong with fishing now. One of the carp anglers was catching bream and he was getting more and more annoyed. His mates were also joining in with comments like another fxxxxxx bream they should net this place and remove the bxxxxx things.
When they finally caught a carp all things changed it was treated like the return of a lost child. Out came the feather bed, the ointment and the camera none of this treatment was deemed good enough for the bream. This seems to be happening more and more with only carp are classed as worthy catches.

Just what is so special about these freshwater pigs?

sam vimes

Reaction score
No doubt that these people exist. However, I know plenty of carpers that are more than happy when bream or tench turn up. I'm a member of what was always intended as a mixed fishery syndicate. Unfortunately, for many reasons, it's been dominated by carp and, correspondingly, carpers. However, we recently got hold of a few half decent tench. Surprisingly, they've shown very well. So much so that quite a few of the carpers are dusting off old float, feeder and Avon rods to target them. Even those without such gear are reducing their boilie sizes to stand a better chance of catching them. I've also encountered people chasing trout, salmon, chub, barbel, roach etc etc that have been equally disdainful of anything other than their intended quarry.

Don't let me stop you having yet another rant at carpers, whilst tarring them all with the same broad brush. What you encountered were ****heads, nothing to do with them being carpers.

thecrow

Reaction score
Well calling them "freshwater pigs doesn't help, its an attitude problem that has crept into fishing over the years as more anglers come into angling to fish for one species, mostly carp but other fish come into it. some of the carp angling fraternity feel the need to project a macho image but its not confined to them.

I cursed every chub I caught many years ago when I was fishing a water with some very big but few barbel as they not only ate the few freebies I had introduced but more because they disturbed the swim I had been careful to sneak into bait up and place my bait.

I have seen bream anglers with the same attitude towards carp/tench on big hard waters where takes were few and far between.

mikench

Reaction score
I understand the emotions involved. As a dedicated bream angler I find it very frustrating when I catch carp, barbel, roach , Rudd and tench!:rolleyes:

I love my bream! Now when do I go to see the quack next!:)

B

binka

I agree with the reverse thrust of sentiment, carp are to be valued imo.

A 20lb mugwump could feed a family of five quite easily for a day, 30lb+ and you've got the neighbours round :eek: ;) :D

thecrow

Reaction score
I agree with the reverse thrust of sentiment, carp are to be valued imo.

A 20lb mugwump could feed a family of five quite easily for a day, 30lb+ and you've got the neighbours round :eek: ;) :D

Yes and Perch are very tasty, cut the dorsal off and you have a ready made fork for eating it :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I understand the emotions involved. As a dedicated bream angler I find it very frustrating when I catch carp, barbel, roach , Rudd and tench!:rolleyes:

I love my bream! Now when do I go to see the quack next!:)

I also like bream when I catch them whilst trotting on the river, they're quite different to the still water dwelling ones having little slim and pulling back hard!

flightliner

Reaction score
Well, I said it before but the carp anglers I rub shoulders with are generally very ok guys. I,m sometimes treated to tea, coffee, the odd bacon sarny , all very nice , but I do like to recipricate whenever I can.
The main thing however is information / observation about fish sightings and catches that sort of keeps us up and together .
Today one of them came up to thank me for telling him of a carp I observed "boshing" one evening last week-- he went to the area and did a rather nice scaley mirrored fish - he owes me one !.
No, as said most are ok types , a small minority give the rest a bad name by insulting other anglers preferances when landed, lets just enjoy them all for what they offer .

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
its not much fun catching a 5lb bream on 12lb line now a 10 lb bream on 4lb line is fine :)