Surface Fishing - PESTS

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi all, I usually fish around the reedswith a waggler and get good results. I've recently tried surface fishing and it's probably one of if not my most favourite method for carp and I'm surprised how few actually do this! I just love watching them come up and swallow my bait.

The only problem however is the horrible gulls and swans! Does anyone have any methods for avoiding these pests? They really do ruin the experience.

Jack

thecrow

Reaction score
Found this but I have no idea if it works.

toast two slices of bread and then cover them with a thick layer of English mustard and chilli, make a sandwich and cut into squares. Feed these to the swans and they'll leave you alone after a square or two.

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi Peter, that's an interesting piece of kit but it's more the fact that they keep taking the feed around my bait!

The Crow, that actually looks interesting, won't it have the same effect on the carp though? I might coat some in scotch bonnet, hopefully that'll work. At the same time though, I don't want it to negatively affect my session.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have had carp taking floaters at the same time that swans and other ducks have been taking my freebies I think it bothers anglers more than the fish the problem is that you never know when they are going to take the one with a hook attached, the only way to avoid that is to fish close enough in to be able to easily see your hook bait and move it away if a swan/duck approaches it or don't put any freebies out the sound of a catapult or the sight of a throwing stick will attract them.

JackGE

Reaction score
Yeah I so try to pull it away but had a bit of an incident the other day! It's also frustrating when using bread as you have to put a fresh bit on once you've reeled in. I get frustrated I just feel like the gulls and swans take it before the carp get a chance!

browndog

Reaction score
I think the activity of the birds feeding actually encourages the carp. Fish close, actually off the rod tip and they'll stay away.

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi browndog, I did try to fish in close but the carp just weren't showing up but it did help keep the birds away!

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi all, I actually smothered dog biscuits in mustard and fired them out. the seagulls took them the first time but only circled them afterwards :D The swans would take some and drink a load of water. It's a step in the right direction but I don't know if it'll also affect the carp!?