Cyprinus Ebay auctions?

naxian62

Reaction score
Any of you guys bidding on their 99p auctions ?
I've been beaten 6 times in the last week. Even though I feel like I'm sniping in right on the last second(s). Wifey says I'm bidding against robots, she has a point.
Anyone?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Have you tried using the " your highest bid " option?

Here's what we found for "Using automatic bidding to avoid being outbid"
In auction-style listings, our automatic bidding system increases your bid in increments so you’re the highest bidder until it reaches your maximum bid. It’s more convenient than manual bidding because you don't need to monitor the auction as closely.

Here’s how it works:

When placing your bid, you enter the highest amount you’re willing to pay for an item. This is your maximum bid and isn’t visible to other bidders or the seller. You won't necessarily pay your maximum. If no one else bids as high as your maximum, you’ll pay less.
In some cases, the seller may set a hidden minimum price, known as a reserve, which has to be met for the item to be sold. When you bid on an item with a reserve price, if your maximum bid meets the reserve, it will automatically increase to meet that price. For example:

A seller lists an item with a starting bid of £1.00 and a reserve of £100.00.

Bidder A bids £1.50. The current bid increases to £1.50 but the reserve isn't met. If nobody else places a bid, Bidder A doesn't win the item.

Bidder B places a maximum bid of £150.00. The current bid increases to £100.00 to meet the reserve. If nobody else places a bid, Bidder B wins the item at the price of £100.00.
If someone bids more than your maximum, we'll let you know in case you want to bid again
Only bid on items you intend to buy. In most cases, you can’t retract your bid. If you win, you must pay the seller.

Learn more about:

How to bid or buy
Bid increments
How do reserve price auction-style listings work?
How to retract a bid
Was this information helpful?
Yes
No

jimlad

Reaction score
Put in a throw away bid with 5 seconds to go, sometimes you get a right bargain and it doesn't allow time for response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
Any of you guys bidding on their 99p auctions ?
I've been beaten 6 times in the last week. Even though I feel like I'm sniping in right on the last second(s). Wifey says I'm bidding against robots, she has a point.
Anyone?

I think your wife is absolutely correct, I have bid on stuff with very little time left (seconds) and a higher bid has taken the item almost to quickly for it to have been done manually, it could of course be someone that has put in a maximum bid that was higher but it happens to often for my liking and for me to believe that's what happens every time.

duncan_m

Reaction score
I think your wife is absolutely correct, I have bid on stuff with very little time left (seconds) and a higher bid has taken the item almost to quickly for it to have been done manually, it could of course be someone that has put in a maximum bid that was higher but it happens to often for my liking and for me to believe that's what happens every time.
The cyprianus auctions are a classic for automated bids because they run in parallel with their shop. People who aren't in a hurry decide that they are prepared to pay for an item and just load that in and let it run. Took me 4 months to get one of their items at the price I thought I could!
For eBay automated bids you can just look at the bid history, click on show all bids, and you should see that the last second winner had previously bid just higher each time anyone came into the auction (or started about 10 seconds before the auction end!).
Anyone coming in at absolute last gasp is either sitting watching the screen, figure poised....or is using a snipe tool (which is what I use now) which is the same as ebay's internal tool but located out with eBay and only bids for the first time at the last couple of seconds.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

naxian62

Reaction score
Cheers guys. As i thought, they're rum buggers ,eh.
Duncan M, what's a snipe tool, and where do I get one ?
Oh, and btw, won my new bedchair Sun evening at the seventh time of trying. 65 sovs, not too shabby.

duncan_m

Reaction score
Cheers guys. As i thought, they're rum buggers ,eh.
Duncan M, what's a snipe tool, and where do I get one ?
Oh, and btw, won my new bedchair Sun evening at the seventh time of trying. 65 sovs, not too shabby.
They function as described above, the difference between them and eBay autobidder is that no one knows you have even set a bid until it's to late (for them to do anything about it) and they certainly can't sound out the interest with a few bids to see if there are (m)any people with active bids running earlier in the auction.
They are typically apps for either I or Android. There are pc browser based ones too - just Google snipe tool. I only tend to use them rarely as I don't get involved in that many auctions (Cyprinus products excepted!) so I take my 10 free auctions (typically) then move on to another.
Glad you have the chair!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk