Helicopter rig

Philip

Reaction score
There are lots of variations of it but if your worried about the saftey aspect of Helicopter rigs why dont you use something else instead...lead clips / in lines / running etc etc ?

Whats the angling situation your facing, maybe we can help ?

tonya

Reaction score
Its for fishing a shallow lake (1-2m deep) wirh a silty bottom.
The ones I've watched Crow seen to have too many clips and stuff.
I will try to make one as simple as poss on my mainline.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Try looking up korum heli kits , there good and makes things easier and simple to set up and very safe

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

flightliner

Reaction score
The biggest bugbears with helicopter rigs are the tangles and twisting. With heavy carp types they arnt so numerous as the rig is heavily endowed with plenty of rig tubing, it's the ones used for the likes of roach that give 4he major headaches.
Look at the standard method of a swivel between two rubber stops, the swivel having the short hooklength fixed along with a short length of rubber to hold the hooklength away from the mainline when being cast.
In theory it works, in practice not every time with the angler fishing with little confidence the rig is ok and not twisted or messed up.
In order to prevent line twist and allow the rig to spin there must be a short gsp between the stops to allow the swivel to spin freely with the result that the short piece of rig tube hangs downto leave the hooklength to close to the mainline, reverse this on the cast and the result is contrary to what is needed.
In order to keep the cast away from the mainline as required the only thing that will hold it out at 90° is to push the stops close together nipping the swivel so defeating one of the rigs objectives.
Many will overcome this by using a stiff line for the hooklength but to me its defeating the main aim of allowing the bait to act naturally when a fish is feeding close to it, mainly moving around, rising and falling and acting naturally.
With all this in mind Last year I devised a simple "boom" type of device that helps no end , spins free, is easily adjustable up and down the line and holds the cast away from the mainline as it is intended to and in short allows me to fish in confidence.

Last edited: