Boilies in 1969

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I know that boiled baits were being used by French and Dutch anglers in the mid-nineteenth century and that Chinese anglers were probably using something similar centuries before that, but Fred Wilton is often credited with pioneering their use in the UK in the early 1970s.

I've just finished skim-reading the last year of publication of "Fishing" magazine, which was 1969. On page 31 of the December issue, there is a letter from a reader called A. R. Johnston, from London, SE13 (Lewisham area) headed "Bream-proof carp bait" which exactly describes the preparation and use of what we'd now call boilies.

Does anyone know who this angler was? The name doesn't ring any bells with me, but I bet he never foresaw his idea developing into such an industry!

Philip

Reaction score
I dont know the angler but Bob Morris amoungst others was using bolies before 69 on Darenth which is not so far from Lewisham and I think Fred Wiltons bait experiments came before 69 as well.

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Bob was one of Fred Wilton's group as far as I remember. It was Fred Wilton's HNV theories that were ground braking. I saw boiled baits being used at Darenth in the late 60's and early 70's but very little turns out to be a new invention.

Sorry, can't throw any light on Mr Johnson's identity, but a shame that he was wrong, they aren't bream proof!

Stu

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Sorry, can't throw any light on Mr Johnson's identity, but a shame that he was wrong, they aren't bream proof!

Tell me about it! The carp anglers on one of my club waters often use double 20mm baits in an attempt to deter the bream but they still insist on hanging themselves - usually 2 to 3lb'ers, too...

Reaction score
30mm baits are bream proof,especially double baits,but the bigger you go,the more likely wise carp are to turn their noses up at them.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Boiled potatoes straight from the tin were pretty much bream proof! You also got a range of sizes in every tin which helped with pre-baiting :eek:mg: