Rod ring advice

lakhyaman

Reaction score
I am having a carp rod built on a Harrison's Ballista 3.25 tc blank. The builders are suggesting Free spirit S lite rings in the double leg version, 40mm, 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 12(tip) mm rings with one on the butt section and six on the tip.

What do you think of the Free Spirit rings or would you recommend any other State? What do you think of the ringing pattern?

Any advice or comments/recommendations would be truly appreciated.

Thanks for your interest.

All the best

Lakhyaman

john step

Reaction score
Just looked the rings up on the web. The quality seems pretty good. As for the spacing, that seems to be the standard positions with one on the butt and the rest on the top to enable casting.

It might be worth going on a carp forum to see what the dedicated carp types think.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Perhaps contact Harrison directly to gauge their opinion. I believe that Kigan are their preferred rings, but I'm sure that they'd give you an honest assessment as to the propsed size / spacing of the Free Spirit ones.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Freespirit rings are perfectly good, but I'm a little surprised to hear of them being fitted to a Harrison blank for a custom build. I'd have expected to see Fuji K series, Kigan or PacBay Minima before the Freespirit. Ring numbers and sizing sounds about right for a heavy carp rod blank. However, such things usually come down to the skill and experience of the rod builder to judge based on the blank being used. The only possible exception might be the use of a 40mm butt ring. Though it's abating a little, 50mm butt rings are the height of fashion in the UK carp scene, especially on the heavier distance casting rods.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've only used the 40mm butt rings on my Balista slims Chris but surely the 50s for most rods are just for show as there are probably not that many anglers that have the technique to take advantage of the minimal extra distance that could be achieved at very long range.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've only used the 40mm butt rings on my Balista slims Chris but surely the 50s for most rods are just for show as there are probably not that many anglers that have the technique to take advantage of the minimal extra distance that could be achieved at very long range.

I wasn't advocating their use, just saying that they are/were the height of fashion. Personally, I think that 50mm butt rings are one of the most ridiculous wastes of times going.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I remember reading an article by Steve Harrison from some years ago and have just managed to locate it click here - might be of interest to some.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I remember reading an article by Steve Harrison from some years ago and have just managed to locate it click here - might be of interest to some.

Here's the Fuji promo video for the concept. Though it's focussed on spinning rods, the theory does look compelling.

Philip

Reaction score
I cant say comment on the FS rings quality but in terms of number I have rods with 5 plus tip on the top section which is pretty standard & also some disance rods with 4 + tip on the top section. I prefer the former.

Agree with others that 50mm butt rings are a waste of time so your ok there. You might want to do some checking around on ring spacing especially on the butt ring placement as their are various schools of though on that and it can impact things like line wrap on the cast.

I think you have made a good decsion to for double legs as I just find them more robust than single leggers. I know some people say it adds weight & can impact the action of the blank but I think the difference is marginal and probably wont be noticed by most people in actual use.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I was picking guides for a custom build i'd most certainely go for fuji's and my next option would be Harrisons Kigan guides....especially so on a harrison rod !

barbelboi

Reaction score
Me too Ian, all my H's have Fuji's and am well pleased. Can't comment on FS as I've never used them.....

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the interest you have shown and I will talk to the builders about Fuji rings and the KR concept and pass on the link which Sam Vimes has so kindly posted. Will report back on how we go from there.

All the best

Lakhyaman

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I remember this going around when 50mm butt rings first arrived on the market and I was big into my carp fishing. Fuji where pushing the smaller rings whilst the tournament casting fellas had moved onto the big rings and haven't moved back. As far as I was aware the current consensus is big wide spools like on the shimano big pit reels favoured the 50mm butt ring where as the taller narrower spools like on the Daiwa big pits favoured the 40mm butt rings, presuming we're talking mono not braid.

However for regular non-casting gods I doubt it matters and 40mm are easier to transport and look prettier.

Last edited: