15lb line, or thereabouts

Philip

Reaction score
I like a bit of stretch. Not sure why its often referred to in a negative way with regards to lines. It can be a good thing too.

Jelster

Reaction score
I like a bit of stretch. Not sure why its often referred to in a negative way with regards to lines. It can be a good thing too.

Especially on a stiffer rod... I have sensor 8 & 15lbs on my Carp reels, I also have the 8lb on my feeder rod that I often use for carp.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear of anyone who can feel the stretch in their line when actually fishing? Even when playing barbel in hit an hold situations I just don't notice the stretch in the line.
As I said earlier in the thread, the only time I get to see the stretch propper is when i'm snagged and have to pull the line with my hands to free my set up or break the line.

john step

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear of anyone who can feel the stretch in their line when actually fishing? Even when playing barbel in hit an hold situations I just don't notice the stretch in the line.
As I said earlier in the thread, the only time I get to see the stretch propper is when i'm snagged and have to pull the line with my hands to free my set up or break the line.

I hope you wrap it around a rod rest or similar to avoid cuts. I also shut my eyes tight when doing this. I have a fear of something shooting back at my eyes.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hope you wrap it around a rod rest or similar to avoid cuts. I also shut my eyes tight when doing this. I have a fear of something shooting back at my eyes.

Your right John, I usually wrap it round a cloth or a stick. As you say itcan cut into your skin, even 6lb can cut you if not held quite right!
I always turn my face away also ;).

I often see people bending their rod to breaking point or even pulling it straight back and risking damaging their reels. I once held the line infront of the reel and pulled straight back, the line snapped and pinged back with suck a force that it bent one of thw rod guides right back!

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score

Your right Ian that on many occasions you wont notice the relative stretch in lines but its the point you make about noticing it when you pull.for a break...i like a bit of give as i think its helps to avoid breaks when a fish lunges, its basically the shock absorbancy aspect that can be useful. I suppose pole anglers are an extreme example with thier elastics.

That said i can think of several examples where i do notice the different streatch between lines when fishing.. braid and mono for example...

- lure fishing, rolling meat, drifter float fishing for Pike and plumbing rod setup for feature finding.

I certainly notice the relative stretch or lack of when doing any of those.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Could the reason why some anglers say that they never experience the stretch in a line be simply because they are just so used to it that, to them, it is the norm?

I began to realise this myself when switching to a less stretchy line where the difference when playing a fish was evident.

Also, most anglers just don't experiment with different lines and just stick to what has become their 'favourite' line.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Could the reason why some anglers say that they never experience the stretch in a line be simply because they are just so used to it that, to them, it is the norm?

I began to realise this myself when switching to a less stretchy line where the difference when playing a fish was evident.

Also, most anglers just don't experiment with different lines and just stick to what has become their 'favourite' line.

Maybe Peter, but even after using braid I still can't actually feel the mono stretching when playing a fish.
I get what your saying about the sharper sensations you feel through the rod when a fish shakes it's head, or runs etc but that's about it for me.
When i've been jigging for zander using braid I feel the exact same tap along the rod as I do when touch legering for barbel whilst using mono.

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
Technium is my line of choice. not cheap but has out performed every other line i have tested in my opinion. where i like the extra stretch is on my spod rod where i use a leader and 12lb sensor or suchlike.
if you have a lump on your line it is very easy to feel the stretch in a line.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Technium is my line of choice. not cheap but has out performed every other line i have tested in my opinion. where i like the extra stretch is on my spod rod where i use a leader and 12lb sensor or suchlike.
if you have a lump on your line it is very easy to feel the stretch in a line.

You must be using very powerfull rods and catching extra large fish to notice the stretch.....if you reside in Bangkok and fish those artificial waters stuffed with all manner of exotics then no doubt you will feel the line stretch.
That kind of fishing is a world appart from fishing in the uk....unless someone goes targetting large wels in a commercial.

thecrow

Reaction score

Newer felt the stretch in line despite doing a lot of my barbel fishing in hit and hold situations, to be able to feel the line stretching it must be like knicker elastic, how does anyone know what is line stretch and the rod absorbing the fight?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Newer felt the stretch in line despite doing a lot of my barbel fishing in hit and hold situations, to be able to feel the line stretching it must be like knicker elastic, how does anyone know what is line stretch and the rod absorbing the fight?

I knew binka wears kinckers etc etc, but I didn't know you liked a bit of cross dressing n' all Graham :wh lol.

You are right though :).

Philip

Reaction score

If the rod is locked up you can feel the stretch in the line. I have noticed this on a few occasions when you have a good sized fish on and allot of line out. Clamping down to take the rod to full curve you can feel the stretch in the line as it pulls bow string tight.

However i would say its the lack of stretch thats more noticable in general usage - when using braid for example, you get a more direct feel through it than through a stretchy mono.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the rod is locked up you can feel the stretch in the line. I have noticed this on a few occasions when you have a good sized fish on and allot of line out. Clamping down to take the rod to full curve you can feel the stretch in the line as it pulls bow string tight.

However i would say its the lack of stretch thats more noticable in general usage - when using braid for example, you get a more direct feel through it than through a stretchy mono.

I've had my fair share of quite powerfull fish in hit and hold situations when using 6lb line. My rods have been way past their test curve and have flattened out....I still didn't notice the stretch in my line?

Philip, we know about the lack of stretch in braid and exactly how it feels when using it ;).

Philip

Reaction score
I've had my fair share of quite powerfull fish in hit and hold situations when using 6lb line. My rods have been way past their test curve and have flattened out....I still didn't notice the stretch in my line?

Philip, we know about the lack of stretch in braid and exactly how it feels when using it ;).

Ian you asked the question that you would be interested to hear from anyone who could feel the stretch in thier line when actually fishing. Now your saying you know about the lack of stretch in braid and how it feels ...so in other words that means you also can feel the stretch in lines doesnt it!!!

That aside with regard to stretch when playing fish...
I have felt it on both big game .35mm (nominal 15lb bs i think) and 15lb Sensor.

Both situations the same..lots of line out..large fish heading for snag ..clamp down...rod to full curve...bow comes out of line and you start to feel the stretch then the line starts to sing.

I'll add that i have been using 6lb Sensor allot recently and catching quite a few resonable sized Carp which i also had to clamp.down on. I cant say i noticed it then but i was also using a more flexible rod. Perhaps its more noticable in the thicker strains.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian you asked the question that you would be interested to hear from anyone who could feel the stretch in thier line when actually fishing. Now your saying you know about the lack of stretch in braid and how it feels ...so in other words that means you also can feel the stretch in lines doesnt it!!!

That aside with regard to stretch when playing fish...
I have felt it on both big game .35mm (nominal 15lb bs i think) and 15lb Sensor.

Both situations the same..lots of line out..large fish heading for snag ..clamp down...rod to full curve...bow comes out of line and you start to feel the stretch then the line starts to sing.

I'll add that i have been using 6lb Sensor allot recently and catching quite a few resonable sized Carp which i also had to clamp.down on. I cant say i noticed it then but i was also using a more flexible rod. Perhaps its more noticable in the thicker strains.

Yeah, maybe you can notice it using such heavy lines if using a high enough test curve rod and you have a propper monster pulling back.
I think the heaviest test rods I have or have ever used is 3lb test. I have used 12 and 15lb mono but the fish I caught weren't big enough to make me notice any stretch in the line.
The reason i used such heavy rods and mono was for casting dead baits when pikeing. I actually stopped using mono and used 85lb braid! .....seriously :). I still have the braid on my reels, and i'm sure it's berkely fireline.

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
You must be using very powerfull rods and catching extra large fish to notice the stretch.....if you reside in Bangkok and fish those artificial waters stuffed with all manner of exotics then no doubt you will feel the line stretch.
That kind of fishing is a world appart from fishing in the uk....unless someone goes targetting large wels in a commercial.

this is a carp fishing thread!
my fishing in Bangkok is on a large river with a Shakespear float rod, centrepin with 6lb mono. catfish on that are awesome and you certainly feel the stretch :)
in the UK i carp fish with hand made 2.75 lb Vic Gibson Harrisons with 12 or 15 lb Technium. if you cannot feel how your line is then i would suggest that you pay more attention ;) it is important to know exactly how your gear feels and then to fish accordingly :D

Last edited: