15lb line, or thereabouts

naxian62

Reaction score
Hi carpers, looking for a couple of reccomendations for some 15lb (ish) mono, fo me too consider.
Cheers.

naxian62

Reaction score
Thanks for that Crow. Wasn't sure about it as a heavier line. I use in 4lb , and it's great. And the best part,- 8.50 - 9 quid for a bulk spool. Touch.

thecrow

Reaction score
I got some daft idea last season that another line would be better than sensor (it was Korum) probably fell for the advertising stuff, it lasted 2 sessions before it was replaced with Sensor, I wont be making that mistake again :)

dave m

Reaction score
another cheap option but well proven and super tough is berkley big game.
still a great line and much more durable than sensor. sensor needs changing as fairly susceptible to uv deterioration so im told.

thecrow

Reaction score
another cheap option but well proven and super tough is berkley big game.
still a great line and much more durable than sensor. sensor needs changing as fairly susceptible to uv deterioration so im told.

Used big game years ago when it first came into the country and had no problems with it, it was the price that made me change to Sensor.

I have always thought that all mono is UV sensitive but at the price Sensor is its no problem changing regularly in fact I would recommend it with any mono as it could pick up nicks that are difficult to see, its always worth running the line through your fingers when reeling in now and again its surprising what can be felt that isn't seen.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I used Sensor for years until about 5 years ago. Changed to Big Game which I think is better. Lasts longer and more durable. If you look after them, both are very good, relatively cheap lines.

Stu

Philip

Reaction score
Much like most of the other posters I used BG for many years, and would still be using it but then they put the price up and it became harder to find so I switched to Sensor and thats been ok. I still prefer BG but Sensor wont let you down either.

There are some other very good lines out there but they cost significanly more & I dont think the price is justified.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Sensor or Gardner Pro.

You can't go wrong with any of them two.

naxian62

Reaction score
Thanks for replies guys. Comparing the prices etc. for those lines, came across Daiwa Hyper Sensor, looks good stuff. A little thinner , couple of quid more but the bulk spool offers more meterage, Anyone had a go with this stuff?

thecrow

Reaction score
Thanks for replies guys. Comparing the prices etc. for those lines, came across Daiwa Hyper Sensor, looks good stuff. A little thinner , couple of quid more but the bulk spool offers more meterage, Anyone had a go with this stuff?

Never used it but I don't like the idea of a thinner line for the same BS as it could have less stretch in it than standard, using heavier lines I doubt if the slightly less diameter will make much difference unless you intend to cast a long way in which case I would go for braid.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Another Vote for Daiwa sensor, I buy the 300 metre spools for my feeder reels, another one I have used is Shimano Aero, again on 300 metre spools, I have found I can do two reels with one spool and not to worry about storing excess line as if I had bought the bulk spools, works out slightly dearer but that is a personal choice.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like sensor up to 10lb but haven't tried it at higher B/S so can't comment on it.
I also like fox graviton and fox camo and have used them many times in 12lb B/S.

naxian62

Reaction score
Saw this post bumped back up. So here's a little feedback.
Initially I plumped for the Gardner GT-HD (15lb), but it just didn't feel right. Limp and supple enough but quite poor knot strength. And after losing a couple of decent cats I binned it. Could be I just had a dodgy spool, who knows? I'm now on Berkley BG, again 15lb, which is probably more wirey/springy but after desperately hanging on to a couple of (mid-20) cats trying to make it to the reeds, my faith is restored.

john step

Reaction score
Sensor is reliable and cheap to replace often. I have a couple of carp reels with 18lb on. This is purely for where the long stringy weed has the ability to damage line. Just gives a bit more insurance.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not the cheapest on the market but a line that is used by so many top carp anglers is Shimano Technium.

It has a lot less stretch than most mono lines (circa 15%) and is very fast sinking; has excellent knot strength and little "memory"

It is very resistant to abrasion and yet stays "soft" in use.

I have Technium on all my Diawa big pit spools and it has never let me down.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i tried sensor once and hated it to much stretch for me.

The graviton and fox camo I mentioned are also very stretchy lines. I only really notice the stretch when i'm snagged and have to pull for a break with my hands.