Runnings v semi-fixed. Popularity

antiquea

Reaction score
I've always used a free running lead when carp fishing. I tend to use a heavy 3 inch gripper lead and semi-slack lines.
In terms of popularity, what would you say is the most popular lead set-up? Fixed or running?

rich4930

Reaction score
I’m intrigued too to hear what people say. When I read forums my impression is that a lot of people use running rigs but when I search the web for articles/videos on rigs, it’s most often fixed lead setups I find. And when I see people fishing, or their photos online I rarely see people fishing slack lines. I know that doesn’t necessarily rule out a running rig.

Personally I prefer a semi-fixed running rig, fished slack. Mostly because I don’t feel happy with the idea of dumping leads. Some say bite indication suffers, which might possibly hold true in winter, and also with weed around I don’t go too slack, but otherwise I’ve never really had problems.

I do use a fixed lead / tight line for chod rigs, for obvious reasons, but then I’m not dumping the lead. I use the classic lead clip setup rarely, if at all nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
When I am using 2oz to 3oz plus leads and purpose made Carp rods; I nearly always use an anti-tether semi-fixed lead as in the diagram below; where the hooklength will be pulled free of the lead and the lead and anti-tangle tubing stays on the line.
(NB: the anti-tangle tubing is a lot finer than in the diagram Lol)

Although if I’m using lighter rods like my multi-tip specimen rods then I’ll usually be using 1 to 1.5oz flat leads on a simple running link leger.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I mainly fish rivers, also gravel pits mainly during the close, and use a running lead.

Just a thought – in respect of tail rubbers on a safety clip how 'safe' is it. Usually when the tail rubber goes on it’s relatively warm and therefore quite pliable. When cast into the water it’s surely got to cool and so tighten on the clip defeating the object of it’s intended purpose?

B

binka

I would think that it depends on how 'actively' you're fishing but I would hazard a guess that safe, fixed rigs are by far the more popular due to the relatively low attention levels and self-hooking properties.

For example a long session over a baited area, playing the waiting game, will likely call for a fixed 'bolt' rig approach as it would be easier and less chancy than to concentrate for long enough to hit a bite on a running rig.

Neither is best, it's more a case of horses for courses and choosing the right application to suit the circumstances.

Philip

Reaction score
Most anglers I see fish semi fixed leads while allot of running setups will be self hooking anyway.

On rivers I fish big semi fixed leads, usually on lead clips and I have done away with the tubing. Nearly all the fishing is under arm lob range.

I dont fish lakes as much as I used to but I would tend to use 2 or 3 rods semi fixed and 1 or 2 rods running. I did quite well on a very basic running rig, wide bore run ring and long braid hooklink. With a stringer it was very tangle free as well. Less so without the stringer.

I noticed Keith suggested using in lines on soft bottoms and lead clips pendulum style on hard bottoms. I used to do the exact opposite as I was always concerned a in line would nose dive into a soft bottom and leave a hooklink angling up ...obviously this would be accentuated by the relative stiffness of the hooklink..the stiffer the hooklink the more it could potentially angle up. With a pendulum lead however you have some leeway as the lead can dive a little into the soft bottom and leave the hooklink flatter. Obviously if the silt or bottom is very soft and deep then you may need to do something else altogether.

Also re lead clips and the rubber coming off...this is also a function of how securely the swivel is inside the clip. This was one of the reasons why the later generations of clip had a hole in the side of them for you to even tie your swivel into it if you wanted.

I am just scratching the surface of permutations and possibilities here. Its one of those subjects you can get into mega deep if you have the inclination.

steve2

Reaction score
If you are really worried about how safe your safe rigs are there is only one safe rig and that the running rig.
Strange thing is many of us me included have a dig at commercial carp fishing ponds but all of them will only allow running rigs on fish welfare grounds.

thecrow

Reaction score
And the rules of whoever controls or owns the water. My main club allows neither fixed nor semi fixed rigs of any kind be that straight lead or any sort of feeder.

If only more clubs were like this, imo there is no need for fixed/semi fixed rigs.

Short hook lengths will invariably be self hooking rigs due to the lack of movement in the rig, running leads/feeders on what the angler thinks are slack lines will due to the strong undertow will be self hooking rigs, the idea that a running lead/feeder allows the fish to move off freely with the bait is imo wrong.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
If only more clubs were like this, imo there is no need for fixed/semi fixed rigs.

Short hook lengths will invariably be self hooking rigs due to the lack of movement in the rig, running leads/feeders on what the angler thinks are slack lines will due to the strong undertow will be self hooking rigs, the idea that a running lead/feeder allows the fish to move off freely with the bait is imo wrong.

That's my view and experience too. I dont really like fixed/semi-fixed set ups anyway and would always fish a free running rig out of choice.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Really depends on the venue I'm fishing, but I reckon the majority of the time it will be semi- fixed.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how a slack line rig can work with a fixed or semi fixed lead, without moving the lead, the only effective way to use slack line rigs is with a running lead ?

Bob

Philip

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how a slack line rig can work with a fixed or semi fixed lead, without moving the lead, the only effective way to use slack line rigs is with a running lead ?

Bob

Bob I think its just a question of terminology and depends what you mean by a slack line rig. I often fish slack lines with semi fixed leads for the sole reason to help sink the link behind the lead out of the way of approaching fish. The fish will then bolt off the lead.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's one of the main reasons why I don't fish truly slack lines other than at very short distances.

Philip

Reaction score
It's one of the main reasons why I don't fish truly slack lines other than at very short distances.

Bob thats pretty much the anwser there.

As I mentioned its down to terminology. It boils down to what is "slack" exactly. Slack enough to sink the line does not always mean it has to be hanging limp and lifeless from the rod tip.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Philip, I have fished slack lines at distance, but only when using a heavy running lead, that way although the indicator is hanging slack it rises to the vertical as it being pulled through the swivel of the lead !!

Bob

Last edited: