Free Spirit TS 11ft 2:75

benny samways

Reaction score
Aup

Does anyone have experience with using the Free Spirit TS rods? They are 11ft with 2:75 test curve?

I want some carp rods that I can bend into fish without fear of hookpulls.

My current TFG X2s are broom handles. 12ft with a tc of 2:75 but in my head the test curve is about 4lb and the rods only bend with fish of about 15pounds plus.

Does anyone have experience with using the Free Spirit TS rods? They are 11ft with 2:75 test curve?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Don't even think about buying them blind. However, my limited experience of the lighter S range rods (they can be hard work to source, I've only seen them at shows) is that they are more through actioned than the majority of current carp rods on the market. Whether they'll be right for you, and the task you have in mind, is another matter. If you find somewhere to get a look at FS rods, add the K.S. (2.25lb) and C.S. (2lb) to your shortlist.

An alternative would be to look for older second hand rods. Good rods from the 90s were invariably more through actioned than almost anything available new. It's the very reason I still keep a set of old 2.5lb Daiwa Powermesh hanging around despite barely doing any full on carping these days. I'd struggle to get anything similar in a new rod. If I did manage to find something, I'd not expect get a great deal of change out of £300.

Jelster

Reaction score
Don't even think about buying them blind. However, my limited experience of the lighter S range rods (they can be hard work to source, I've only seen them at shows) is that they are more through actioned than the majority of current carp rods on the market. Whether they'll be right for you, and the task you have in mind, is another matter. If you find somewhere to get a look at FS rods, add the K.S. (2.25lb) and C.S. (2lb) to your shortlist.

An alternative would be to look for older second hand rods. Good rods from the 90s were invariably more through actioned than almost anything available new. It's the very reason I still keep a set of old 2.5lb Daiwa Powermesh hanging around despite barely doing any full on carping these days. I'd struggle to get anything similar in a new rod. If I did manage to find something, I'd not expect get a great deal of change out of £300.

Have to agree with Sam, I have a pair of Shakey SKP2001's, 12ft 2.75TC from the 90's and they have a great all round bend in them. Can be a bit hairy with a 20 plus fish that's a bit angry, but that's all part of the fun :)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Presuming you're not fishing at 100m with a PVA bag then fishing with barbel rods of 1.75/2 TC certainly brings back a bit of fun and they certainly capable of landing big carp.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The best carp rod I've ever used for it's sheer fish playing enjoyment is the 12' Harrison 2.75 ballista slim.............

Keith M

Reaction score

Got to agree with this, I’ve got an old Diawa Powermesh Carp rod of 2lb test curve which I still occasionally use for surface fishing for Carp and occasionally for close to medium range bottom fishing, I even use my 2lb Powermesh Carp rod occasionally when I’m fishing flood waters after Barbel and it has a brilliant action for this type of fishing too.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I dont know what era they are considered from but the Shimano Powerloops are some of the most through action Carp rods I have come across. I have 2.5 & 2.75 versions. Both are very bendy but the 2.5 in particular borders on so through action/parabolic its silly.

I also have the 2.5 Powermesh's mentioned above and agree they are good all round rods although I would class them more as all rounders than specifically for through action playing.

benny samways

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far; especially Sam’s! ‘don’t you dare buy them blind’! I won’t, but it is a struggle to find somewhere that stocks rods to actually give them a waggle.

What I am after is a carp rod version of my barbel rod which is a Harrision Gti 11ft 1:75.

This bends and bends and is as fun to play a 4lb chub on as it is a 14lb barbel.

When playing big fish on my current carp set up (15+) then they are fine but smaller doubles or small fish (which is what I mainly get) are a real chore because the rod wont bend pass the second eye. It can take longer to play a 6 pounder then it does a twenty as there is hardly any leverage.

I have been toying with the idea of Ballistas. I like a shorter rod it is either the 11ft 2:5 or 3lb in the ballistas or the 11ft TS which offer the 2:75. There is plenty of info about the ballistas being players rods but not much about the TS’s.

Perhaps I should visit a rod builder but there aren't any in the Beds area.

These will be my final purchase of rods ever (ahem).

sam vimes

Reaction score
Johnson Ross would probably be an excellent port of call for you, even if it involves an afternoon out. Even the furthest flung reaches of Bedfordshire shouldn't be a million miles away. Even if they don't have the exact model of FS rod in stock, they'll be able to advise. They also carry Harrison rods and do special order customs. Even if an impromptu trip out isn't viable, it's got to be worth a phone call. It's not like you can get massive savings on this kind of gear by shopping around.

john step

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if hook pulls are often foul hook ups on a part of the body as opposed to the carps mouth?
Another reason may be smaller hooks and maybe hooks that are not wide gape?

Just musing.

Agree about not wanting to play fish on a broom handle though.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Free Spirit ESs from Johnson Ross. I loved them for fishing the smaller waters I carp fished. I stopped carp fishing so I sold them and I regret doing it now I’m doing a bit again.

They’re meant for smaller waters and casting shorter distances but with enough backbone for pva bags under 100 yards so if you’re not casting heavy weights they might be a bit overgunned.

Quality rods, though, but with a price tag to match