Lump hunting on a commercial

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to be fishing Aston fisheries at some point soon and on one of their ponds they have carp to 30lb+.
Now, I don't necessarily want one that big but I do want to go bigger than the 6-8lbers I was pulling out the other day using a method feeder.

I have a carp rod, reel etc and someone sat near me who has caught large carp but what I would like to know is what sort of baits work at this time of year and how much to feed via cage feeder.

My friend is going down the route of pva bags I think but I don't want to be messing with those if possible.

I'll be fishing within easy casting distance and don't own a spod. There may also be some restrictions on delivery of ground bait.

I understand as temperatures drop fish require less feed but in the same breath I'm reading how they will now be laying down fat stores for winter!

any help much appreciated............

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's nigh on impossible to weed out the bigger specimens in the average commercial. It's largely a question of wading through as many fish as possible until you get one. Using a particularly big bait (20-22mm) might weed out some of the really small ones, but that's about it.

When the carp in a fishery really feed up for the winter depends on the water in question, the prevailing weather conditions and the amount/depth of the water. A big deep water down south is likely to be much later than it's shallow equivalent further north. A good summer is also likely to push the big feed back a bit. Lots of the southern anglers often enthuse about October being the last big feed. Up my way, I'd expect the best of it to be pretty much done by the end of September.

It's similar to southern anglers going gaga for tench in March and April. Outside of commies, where competition for food is much higher, I barely expect to see any caught until May up here.

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the pond has a depth of about 6 feet at max, is about 30m wide and 80m long based in South Yorkshire.
I was contemplating either worm/corn/meat with a small cage feeder filled with groundbait and dead maggots or a hybrid feeder with 10mm wafter and sticky pellets.

flightliner

Reaction score
The ponds are stuffed with carp , in the main small to medium , so many that a thirty or one even remotely close to that figure would be a chance in a-- well you know the saying.
I'm not saying don't attempt in trying but to be honest there are much better realistic options not to far away.
Maybe the internet will suggest a venue.
That said whatever you decide the best of luck.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have been fishing Aston for about 4 years on average twice a week and only manage to hit into a hand full in the mid-teens 15lb and one of 20.4lb, all caught in the margin or a rod length out.

Aston is not a big bait pond … think what tackle and baits Alex’s sells in his shop 8-12mm pellets or soft hooker pellets (Match baits) NO boiles.

a lot of the fishing done on the ponds are match type fishing pole, feeder or pellet waggler where big bait aren’t used most of the time the fish don’t see big baits

You will find that most carpers fish Lilly at the bottom right-hand side where the stream comes into the pond pegs 17 to 25 try for 17

Try fishing in the margins with method feeder or a bomb with PVA bags filled with a partial mix

If you don’t want to fish PVA bags make some 50mm (2”) size ground bait balls to though in around your hook bait

Baits…15mm boiles or 10-15mm pellets (krill-halibut- salmon) Hair rig mussel

One thing I have learnt when fishing Astons is if its blowing a bit is to follow the wind

As flightliner has already said there’s bigger fish options not too far away if that’s what you’re after

sam vimes

Reaction score
the pond has a depth of about 6 feet at max, is about 30m wide and 80m long based in South Yorkshire.

There are too many imponderables to reassure you that you'll be fine and the fish'll be well up for it for another month, week etc. All that it might be reasonable to say is that they are likely to be up for it slightly longer than a similar water further north and less so than one further south.

I was contemplating either worm/corn/meat with a small cage feeder filled with groundbait and dead maggots or a hybrid feeder with 10mm wafter and sticky pellets.

Nothing in there that might be a little more selective of the bigger fish. You'll just be wading through whatever is up for it. However, once the fishery does start slowing down, if it hasn't already, you may be grateful for whatever comes along.

chrissh

Reaction score

Your bag up on the bream, cage isn’t my chose for Aston go with the method feeder - pellet feeder or pellet cones stick with your choses bait 10mm wafter and sticky pellets and forget the worms.

pellet cones

http://[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

http://[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

mikench

Reaction score
My encounters with"lumps" have in the main been with small hooks, light lines and a float rod when after roach!:)

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the advice chaps. I forgot to mention that we are going as a party of about 6, some want to pole fish for silvers etc, one or two of us want to have a go for something bigger so Lily pond seemed the perfect compromise where folks from different parts of the UK can get down the M1 to.

Makes me wonder if it's worth getting the carp rod out on this trip. I have a Maver commercial feeder rod but I wonder as to its ability to handle something very large say 18lb plus.

My plan seems to be veering towards a method feeder or variant thereof packed with a simple groundbait to provide attractant but little in the way of feed and a simple hookbait such as pellet or corn.
sound like a plan?
One of my friends has decided he would like to hunt for lumps down by the lillies at peg 47 if that's the right area.

chrissh

Reaction score
thanks for the advice chaps. I forgot to mention that we are going as a party of about 6, some want to pole fish for silvers etc, one or two of us want to have a go for something bigger so Lily pond seemed the perfect compromise where folks from different parts of the UK can get down the M1 to.

Makes me wonder if it's worth getting the carp rod out on this trip. I have a Maver commercial feeder rod but I wonder as to its ability to handle something very large say 18lb plus.

My plan seems to be veering towards a method feeder or variant thereof packed with a simple groundbait to provide attractant but little in the way of feed and a simple hookbait such as pellet or corn.
sound like a plan?
One of my friends has decided he would like to hunt for lumps down by the lillies at peg 47 if that's the right area.

Are you talking about Aston park fishery or Aston spring?
There’s on peg 47 on any of the pond at Aston park fishery

Last edited:

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im talking thew big one with the cafe and tackle shop, Lily is next to Split pond if that helps.

chrissh

Reaction score
That’s Aston park fishery

It up to you if you want to use a carp rod but it might be a bit over gunned for the fishery
Most of the time I fish Lilly I use a shimano 11ft commercial speedmaster feeder or float rod and 4000 size reel which I have no problem handling the mid-teens carp

Most of the carp boy that are after the bigger fish bivvy up for a couple of nights

You might be a bit optimistic in thinking you’re going to hit the 18lb plus fish I’m not saying you won’t or there isn’t any in the ponds but most are around the 5-15lb or F1 there’s a couple of sturgeon in Lilly that do get caught now and again.

Your friend that wants to fish peg 47 will be out of luck there isn’t one there’s only 41 pegs on Lilly!

http://[url=https://postimg.cc/9R3n5f2s] [/URL]

Before you make any plans check to see if there’s any matcher booked on the pond you want to fish Alex puts what ponds are book for matches thought the week on face book.

Aston Park Fisheries
19 hrs ·

THIS WEEKS MATCHES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday costcutter 1st October- butts lake
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday over 50’s 2nd Oct - Lilly pond
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday open 3rd Oct - butts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday open match 6th Oct - lanta ( Please book on )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Super Sunday open 7th Oct - all bills all lanta and 25 pegs on butts.

This Sunday is your last chance to qualify for the super Sunday £1000 final,the winner off each lake will qualify.

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Chris I'm using the day as a bit of an experiment to be honest. I have a carp rod, nothing expensive, and use a cheapy 5000 series reel but normally fish with a Maver commercial combo and a DAM 4000 series reel.
what I plan to do is hoik the bait in on said carp rod and see what happens. if nothing I'll change down to the combo and start chasing fish of any size with that.

peg 47? didn't have my glasses on :eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
Redeemed--- well, hats off to your optimism .
Last Thursday afternoon I had a walk down to the Lily pond as my neighbour was fishing there.
I saw him from the car park but decided to walk round the far bank (the one with "Butts lake") behind you up the hill .
In the top corner we're two guys carping and I stopped to chat asking if they had caught.
A young chap said they had and showed me a foto of a lovely common that I would be pleased to have caught it myself.
In all the years I've walked the place I've never seen one as good as that one!
It was'nt you was it ???
Ps, my neighbour had a good fish, not the size of the guy with the common.
I took a pik of it and the baillif asked if I could post it on the sites face book page which I did--- check it out!

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Redeemed--- well, hats off to your optimism .
Last Thursday afternoon I had a walk down to the Lily pond as my neighbour was fishing there.
I saw him from the car park but decided to walk round the far bank (the one with "Butts lake") behind you up the hill .
In the top corner we're two guys carping and I stopped to chat asking if they had caught.
A young chap said they had and showed me a foto of a lovely common that I would be pleased to have caught it myself.
In all the years I've walked the place I've never seen one as good as that one!
It was'nt you was it ???
Ps, my neighbour had a good fish, not the size of the guy with the common.
I took a pik of it and the baillif asked if I could post it on the sites face book page which I did--- check it out!

Are these the ones Mick?

http://[url=https://postimg.cc/v1RHj4SS] [/URL]

http://[url=https://postimg.cc/WF5V2zXV] [/URL]

flightliner

Reaction score
Hope it was Redeemed Chrissh!!!
Sorry I missed you. I was there about 3/4 pm.
Look at the pik on the f/book page!.

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No mate it wasn't me. i do 6'3", shaved head and 20 stone! Wish I'd caught the fish though!
we're back for a group knock up on Lily on the 14th. fingers crossed!

chrissh

Reaction score
No mate it wasn't me. i do 6'3", shaved head and 20 stone! Wish I'd caught the fish though!
we're back for a group knock up on Lily on the 14th. fingers crossed!

Lilly is part booked for a match Sunday 14th

THIS WEEKENDS PLEASURE PEGS
13TH & 14TH OCTOBER
-------------------------------------------
Saturday 13th oct
==============
lanta - all lake
stable - all lake
lilly - all lake
--------------------
sunday 14th oct
=============