Reel for an occasional carper and barbel chasing

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Having been snapped off unceremoniously by some monsters in a local fishery I bought on the advice of a friend a JRC 2.5lb 12 foot carp rod.
I've been using a cheapie 5000 series on the two occasions I have used it but would like to go to something a little bigger, say a 6000 series.

Now, I don't do spodding, I don't fish large fisheries so 100m casts are out, I fish one rod at a time, but I will be fishing the Trent at sometime and possibly A1 pits.

My budget, because it will be rarely used, is about £50, and there are some good reels to be had in that price range but do I need to spend that much?

I would prefer something with interchangeable spools so I can vary line strength etc and a bait runner function is obviously a must.

any suggestions? btw I looked at the NGT reel available at about £24 and wasn't too impressed.

cheers, Lol

john step

Reaction score
I am not a reel sizing expert but is there much difference twixt a 5000 and a 6000? Enough to justify a new reel?
A £50 limit is still at the cheap end of the spectrum.

There are a few 6000 size Shimmy ST for about this on the bay but they don't come with a spare spool. They are smooth reels though and have a good baitrunner and will last.
An option might be to go for one of these and you can always buy a spare spool later. I seem to remember for the £12to £15
mark.

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.
tbh the cheapie 5000 needs retiring anyways so I thought "why not?".
personally not a big fan of Shimano, my son has the 6000 but I'm just not drawn to it.
I know £50 is the cheap end but there' stuff available, just depends how good it is.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you are going to buy an ST and pay for another spool on top, you may as well buy a DL which comes with a spare.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd look on ebay for second hand shimano 5 or 6000 gte baitrunners or even the older 5010 and 6010 reels. The only difference betwen the different sizes of those reels is the spools. Infact the 8000s look identicle to the 6000s but the spools are deeper alowing for more line capacity. Although those reels are old they're very reliable and robust and you can pick them up for little money.

After saying all that I reckon you'd be ok with a 4000 sized reel.

dave m

Reaction score
do not get the new ST model, they are rubbish, if you want new spend a bit more and get the DL.

good second hand shimanos are a good option. the 5000 size is smaller, better with the 6000/8000/10,000 size for the trent.
all the same size body just deeper spools so not really relevant.
the aero, aero gt, RE, GTE, xtea and the slightly larger xte are all brilliant.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.
tbh the cheapie 5000 needs retiring anyways so I thought "why not?".
personally not a big fan of Shimano, my son has the 6000 but I'm just not drawn to it.
I know £50 is the cheap end but there' stuff available, just depends how good it is.

Picked up a Korum Rodiac 6000 series reel last week for me feeder rod, holds a good amount of line, line lay is very nice as is the retrieve. Has 5 bearings and cost me under 50 quid. Nice baitrunner reel.

chrissh

Reaction score
I might be bias but towards shimano reels for the reason that I worked around the world it was one reel you could find anywhere and get repaired if needed
Some of the cheaper reel have nylon gears that can strip under presser along with clutches the can fail when fighting a decent size fish

But it’s your money to spend on what you want

Shimano Baitrunner X-Aero 6000 RA Reel
[url=https://postimages.org/] pic upload[/URL]

Nash BP6 Fast Drag Reel. It’s not a bait runner but once you get used to the fast drag there a good reel
[url=https://postimages.org/] open source screen capture[/URL]

Korum range
http://[url=https://postimages.org/] pic uploader[/URL]

FOX Stratos

The shimano X-AERO might be a bit out of you price range. The Nash, Korum, Fox are all around £50

Last edited:

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
cheers Chris I had wondered about plastic gears etc.
I like the look of the Nash but want a spare spool.
I was considering this Sonik, don't know what experience of them:
Sonik Vader X FS Reel

chrissh

Reaction score
Can’t say that I have seen a Sonik Vader X FS Reel or know anything about them. There is a report on them done a angling time on google they are saying that the dislike is that they are heavy

Take your rod with you and pop in to angling direct and try a few reels for weight and balance

Spare spool for Nash BP-6 Fast Drag Reel are around £10-£12.

Beaker

Reaction score
I have a pair of Vader x,s and they are brilliant for the money(I use them at Linear). The only negative, and I am being picky is their weight. Other than that, they have a spare aluminium spool and do the job. I have had carp to 27lb on them, no problems.