Homemade boilie basemix advice

Reaction score
Hi

I'm an absolute beginner to the bait making game having been a stickfloat, centrepin, hemp & caster devotee.
I'm not interested in carp (so no threat to anyone on here), but have started taking a more specimen orientated approach and using baits and tactics to try to catch bigger fish.
I've just bought a 8mm Gardner rolling table and am having a go at rolling my own particle boilies.

Could anyone advise what you think re my birdfood base mix below please. I'll be fishing short session on a small river to target chub, barbel, bream and roach this winter:

250g semolina
250g soya flour
250g partiblend (ground)
50g crushed hemp
300g milk powder
1 tsp salt

*Liquid 1
4-5 eggs
50 ml evaporated milk
50 ml liquidised sweetcorn
20ml pineapple flavouring (natural)
5ml blueberry flavouring
4 drops clove E.O.
6 drops coriander E.O.
6 drops aniseed E.O.

*Liquid 2
4-5 eggs
50ml liquid liver
50ml evaporated milk
2ml frankfurter flavouring
8 drops black pepper E.O.
6 drops chilli oleoresin

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

flightliner

Reaction score
SOS, your first recipe is similar to one that I used to make back in the eighties but without the crushed hemp ( not saying it's not beneficial, I just didn't include it )
What was a popular with many carpers at the time however was to include a quarter teaspoonful MSG ( monosodium glutamate ) -- a flavour enhancer. ( try a bit on your tongue and you will taste the last thing you had to eat ).

peterjg

Reaction score
You haven't said how long you are going to boil them for but I suggest that you add another binder such as wheat gluten or they might break down too quickly - especially as they are only 8mm. Good luck, it's always so much more interesting to make your own baits.

PS. You could also include a bit of farina (potato starch).

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
have a look at cc moores website they will have a few recipes on there that are a bit better than what you suggest :)

Pennywise74

Reaction score
The best boilie I’ve ever used and so simple was Richworth50/50 with plum flavour that’s it. U can by semolina and soya on eBay for peanuts. Don’t be fooled into thinking you need xy and z in baits to work you don’t

Philip

Reaction score
No but x y & Z might make them work even better ;)

I dont mix my own baits anymore. Too time consuming. Now I let the bait companies worry about the ingredients and I concentrate on the fishing.

Pennywise74

Reaction score
No but x y & Z might make them work even better ;)

I dont mix my own baits anymore. Too time consuming. Now I let the bait companies worry about the ingredients and I concentrate on the fishing.

It’s not the done thing these days compared to the 90s when making your own was massive but I remember the mess and smells lol think I’ll stick to ready maxes. I got chucked out my house once for using Hutchies She’ll Fish Sense Appeal lol

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
Kevin Maddox did tests with 50/50 mix boilies and they were avoided for a long time after eating once. Moving forward Fishmeal based hnv baits will be consumed on a regular basis.

Lucy Purswell

Reaction score
I'd dump the salt ,really not necessary, not good for carp if over done , remember these are fresh water they get all the salt they need from vegetation . It originally was used by match anglers to keep fish feeding as it made them pass everything out the other end so kept em hungry.
only other thing I'd say is watch the quantities as if over done can turn the carp off and become repulsive . But it is very experimental to say the least try dropping dosages a little sometimes you get same desired results and you save some money and liquids last longer.

mikench

Reaction score
Boilies are a waste of time and money imo. Any I had have been liquidised and added to GB .

hague01

Reaction score
Best advice I can give is get a box of medicinal throwaway gloves. When I tried boilie making the mess was astonishing! I must confess I have changed my interest from tackle above the surface to below. I have my own ground bait which I flavour to my hook bait, paste, pellets etc. Doesn't produce any results I can brag about but gives me something to think about when the wife's talking.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Just tried my first batch from this online recipe:

Chocolate and orange, and they smell like it. This is the one bait that I have made which the wife hasn’t complained about the smell :).I really need a boilie roller as some uneven boiles. Now got to air dry for 2 days The over/undersized could be cut up for loose feed/particles. Think I will take some shop bought ones just in case……

0D6018B5-DA5D-4FDF-AE68-2FECFDDF8585.jpeg

hague01

Reaction score
They look great. I can't believe fish look for uniformity so to me, the variety in sizes is perfect. I would be very pleased to have made them. Well done. All you need now is a day when the have a sweet tooth.

Keith M

Reaction score
They look great. I can't believe fish look for uniformity so to me, the variety in sizes is perfect. I would be very pleased to have made them. Well done. All you need now is a day when the have a sweet tooth.
It’s not that the fish like uniformity, it’s because it’s easier to keep your freebies in a tight area when you are catapulting them out or using a throwing stick when they are a uniform size :giggle:

They do look nice though, I would be tempted to try one or two myself :giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

hague01

Reaction score
I should add I never just buy boilies in 1 size in any flavour. I like a ten and maybe 14/15, then mix to put a bed out but always have the smallest as the hook bait. Works for me.

hague01

Reaction score
I find choc/ orange a great match lake bait but can't get a sniff when fishing for bigger fish. It's got to be me, it usually is.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Well am trying them out this coming Wednesday, will let you know how I get on. Btw if you look on that 'bait vaut' channel, there's a very good sweetcorn one which I am trying tomorrow. The baits are able to be frozen, and I got over 100 from the recipe.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Well, did get a run on the home made choc and orange boilie today but erm…..missed connecting :). At least it seemed to work to some degree.

Last edited: