Running rig with anti tangle tubing ???

shane99

Reaction score
Hi, a few pointers needed here please.

I am fishing white acres this easter on a family holiday, in the rules for the specimen lake its says no fixed leads
and a minimum of 18" anti tangle tubing or something similar.

So I am reading this as a running rig of course but how does this work with anti tangle tubing ? - I am not a carp fisherman so any pointers please on this set up would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
"All rigs must be safe so that the fish can get rid of the lead should your line break. All rigs must have a minimum of 18” of anti-tangle tubing or something similar (a safe zone leader). NO FIXED RIGS. PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL RIGS ARE SAFE - IF IN DOUBT PLEASE ASK A MEMBER OF THE FISHERIES TEAM."

What is a "safe zone"? For carp? So many rules, are you sure they allow you to fish at all?

steve2

Reaction score
"All rigs must be safe so that the fish can get rid of the lead should your line break. All rigs must have a minimum of 18” of anti-tangle tubing or something similar (a safe zone leader). NO FIXED RIGS. PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL RIGS ARE SAFE - IF IN DOUBT PLEASE ASK A MEMBER OF THE FISHERIES TEAM."

What is a "safe zone"? For carp? So many rules, are you sure they allow you to fish at all?
What is wrong with the free running rig it must be the safest of all ledger rigs surely you are allowed to use that.

Just part of a long list of rules that anglers now face when fishing anywhere it seems.

Just waiting for the any one caught using any type of hook will be banned for life rule.
And the no fishing for carp in case you damage them rule.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
What is wrong with the free running rig it must be the safest of all ledger rigs surely you are allowed to use that.
Well yes. The only thing that could hamper it in anyway is this idea of 18inches of rig tube. Must be hell to get so much line through it in the first place. I think I'd spend so much time doing it there wouldn't be any time left for fishing. :eek:

Years and years ago, 2003/4/5 maybe, we had a discussion on here about free running carp rigs because some felt that they didn't offer the 'bolt-rig' effect of a semi-fixed rig using lead clips etc. We had one really great and well experienced carp angler, Big Rik (called so for pretty bl00dy obvious reasons), who said that a running rig would still offer most of the benefits of lead clips especially when the fish bolted at certain angles to the lead and main line.

One trick he taught me when we fished together once was to use quick change Gemini link clips to hold the hooklink and covered with a piece of 2mm silicone tubing which then slots into the open end of a lead clip. Because there is no grip between the Gemini clip and the plastic lead clip it becomes a sliding rig (not stopped by a bead admittedly). It does, however, allow you to prepare a fresh hooklink and boily in advance and change it on your rig in seconds saving actual fishing time.

s-l1600.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
On a venue which shall be nameless, the list of rules were legion. I suggested that the notice board which was at least 3' in height listing at least 30 rules could be replaced by a smaller one saying" NO FISHING"

I have not been back! Do golf clubs prohibit the hitting of golf balls in case of injury !

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Hi, a few pointers needed here please.

So I am reading this as a running rig of course but how does this work with anti tangle tubing ? - I am not a carp fisherman so any pointers please on this set up would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

I presume you put the 18" of tubing on your mainline with a bead buffering against the Hooklink attachment and use a link swivel on your lead which has a big enough eye to slide on the tubing.

I suppose a bailiff or other member of staff at the fishery will show you if you're not sure...

shane99

Reaction score

Yes that is a quote from the rules Jeff :)

shane99

Reaction score
I presume you put the 18" of tubing on your mainline with a bead buffering against the Hooklink attachment and use a link swivel on your lead which has a big enough eye to slide on the tubing.

I suppose a bailiff or other member of staff at the fishery will show you if you're not sure...

Yes that Peter, tubing into the the bead to keep fixed

sam vimes

Reaction score
The simplest way I've seen to rig this up is to use a tulip to mask the swivel, feed the rig tube into the tulip (a dab of superglue can be a good idea), and use a lead with a big swivel eye.

Keith M

Reaction score

The swivel should ‘not’ be too tight a fit into the end of the tubing, so that if the lead gets snagged the swivel will come completely free of the clip/tube, and the lead and tubing will subsequently slide off of the line after a break.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I dont know if I am going nuts (probably..) but I could have sworn I remember this exact thread being done before.

Bizzare.

Anyway ...the idea of running leads on tubing became popular back in the 90s when Carpers like Julian Cundiff were writing about and using them. Basically a bead of some sort at one end of the tube and a lead with a big enough bored eye sliding up and down the tube and stopped by the bead. A backstop of some sort to stop the lead coming off the other end of the tube was also often added and this led to endless arguments about if the rig was safe or not.

The majority (all?) did not actually act as running lead and it was basically working as a bolt rig.

It seems a strange rule to have at a fishery.

Keith M

Reaction score
I dont know if I am going nuts (probably..) but I could have sworn I remember this exact thread being done before.

Bizzare.

Anyway ...the idea of running leads on tubing became popular back in the 90s when Carpers like Julian Cundiff were writing about and using them. Basically a bead of some sort at one end of the tube and a lead with a big enough bored eye sliding up and down the tube and stopped by the bead. A backstop of some sort to stop the lead coming off the other end of the tube was also often added and this led to endless arguments about if the rig was safe or not.

The majority (all?) did not actually act as running lead and it was basically working as a bolt rig.

It seems a strange rule to have at a fishery.

My mates and I have been developing and using anti tangle tubing and in-line leads since the very early 80’s when you couldn’t even buy such things in tackleshops and had to make your own. We also had to modify our original Optonics to add telephone speakers and latching and extension boxes to them because you couldn’t buy such things in tackleshops (this was quite a few years before Delkim started to sell their modified optonics).

We never used backstops either, as apart from not being needed these can quite often prevent the lead from breaking completely free after a line break; and after a break it takes very little effort for our swivels to come free from the end of the tubing as long as you didn’t use swivels that were a little too tight.

I don’t rely on safety clips working and have always made sure that my swivels don’t fit too tightly into the end of my tubing so that they will come free with very little real effort.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Keith yes I think your absolutely right that backstops are bad news in allot of situations for exactly the reasons you mention. The line breaks then pulls through the lead link to the backstop which fails to come off and the fish ends up towing the lead. I even recall one manufacturer selling a readymade running rig that incorporated a backstop and then pushed the idea that this gave you the best of both worlds…it was both a running and a Bolt rig to outwit wary Carp. The fish would feel no resistance to start but then would hit the backstop and bolt !!!!! :eek:mg:

The running rigs I use dont have a backstop or any tubing either. Should the line break the lead simply falls off the line.

Lead clips are an interesting one, and really need more than a sort forum post to cover everything. I believe it was Nash who came up with the original lead clip which you could fish as running or semi fixed. In the semi fixed context the swivel jammed in the clip as tight as possible. In fact Nash then updated later versions of the clip to include a hole in the barrel of the clip. The idea of that hole was to physically tie your swivel into the clip to ensure it could not come out and that the lead would instead pull free of the clip instead. The ease of which was governed by how hard you pushed the tail rubber onto the other end of the clip.

I like lead clips allot but for my own part I use them only as a semi fixed setup.