Floater fishing

Mrnab

Reaction score
Hello, looking at doing some floater fishing next month. Looking around at the different sorts of controller floats available and I've also spotted cheaper bubble floats available. Is there really any difference in them and worth spending more on proper controllers?

The Sogster

Reaction score
I have tried many and various controllers over the years from candles and jif lemons through the cheap bubble types to the latest solid plastic/ resin types.

The best available in my opinion are the fox inline bubble floats that have a plug which allows weighting with water. These are also able to be fished 'bolt' rig style.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I've found the weighted ESP controllers to be the best, as they sit upright in the water and aren't so affected by any wind. The bubble type I've found gets very easily dragged about by the slightest breeze.

theartist

Reaction score
I'd back up the wind issues with bubble floats also they can be hard to fill up if you cant get down to the waters edge, I still keep some in my jacket pocket though as they can still do a decent job are pretty robust and cheaper than controller floats, some cheap ones can have rough plastic holes which isn't good

A large banded matchstick or small bit of balsa with small shot gently squeezed on either side inline can get out a decent distance if the fish are closer in, wetting the bait if it's mixer or bread will also double the casting weight, with no or little disturbance you can cast into a shoal and get one on the nose so to speak, if you're fishing at range disregard all that though

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use a large pellet waggler float.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The best available in my opinion are the fox inline bubble floats that have a plug which allows weighting with water. These are also able to be fished 'bolt' rig style.

I'll second that - been using them for around 15 years. They may also be slightly overfilled to sink very slowly which can be deadly...................

PS sinking the mainline minimises the movement in the wind - don't forget that the freeebies will be moving along the surface in the wind as well.................

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the venue isn’t snaggy that should be perfect.

daniel121

Reaction score
I make my own floats out if clear plastic drinking straws with lead in the bottom. The line goes through the top of the float like a controller, the result is a more delicate presentation which is essential when carp are rejecting baits, something everybody who must have fished on surface baits for carp would have have noticed.

Of course the best way is free lining but this is not always possible due to the distance carp are feeding

Keith M

Reaction score
I occasionally use home made and weighted streamlined balsa surface floats which I make in various sizes and shapes and can be made inline by drilling through them lengthwise.
I obtain my balsa fairly cheaply from a nearby model shop.

As for bait I usually use either Chum mixers dipped in water and left overnight to go slightly soft or large pieces of breadcrust dipped momentarily in water to give them a bit of casting weight; but now and then I’ll use a large lobworm injected in the head with air using a syringe and they float with their head on the surface and their tail end wriggling below the surface enticingly, and sometimes this can be a really killing bait not only for Carp but also Chub on the rivers.

Another floating bait that I have used in the past has been a sloppy boilee mix with a bit of baking powder added and then baked in the oven until it thickens into a dryish cakey texture as this stays on the hook a lot longer than a floating crust and can be cast a lot further without fear of it falling off on the cast, plus it can be coloured and flavoured.

Anyway best of luck with your surface fishing

Keith

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Often referred to as “floater cake”, an excellent bait.