Okuma V8 Reels

Pennywise74

Reaction score
Just bought 3 Okuma V8s and 2 Daiwa Croscast reels for main rods and marker/spod. Had intention of using the Daiwas on main rods but the Okums feel a lot better with amazing line lay and slightly larger spool where‘as the Daiwas feel a bit cheap? Any users of both of these?

The bad one

Reaction score
I've used Okuma since they launched in the UK and never had a problem with them. Still have the first two reels (interceptors 40s) I bought and still use them when the situation calls for them. Relegated to feeder fishing on reservoirs these days. They are around 15 years old and have had some hammer dragging 3-4 oz feeders back up to 40 yards across the Ribble.
Two Epix Pro 40s (10 years old) followed on the back of the interceptors when I felt I need them. Sadly I dropped one on a concrete bank and chipped part of the foot off. It's still usable but you know how it goes if you damage something......mind games in your head!
I've also other Okuma models I've picked up along the way if they were at the right price.

Currently using V2 Epix 55s (5 years old) slightly bigger spools than the 40s and mechanically still as good as the day I bought them. All in all I rate Okuma reels in the top of the range models based on the work outs I've given them over 15 year of usage.

Pennywise74

Reaction score
Yeah iv had a few in the past and no complaints loved my carbonite baitrunners and also got the LS6Ks baitrunners and are spot on

Philip

Reaction score
The early Okumas had some great feedback about them and seemed to be good reels. I am not so sure about some of the later models. I get the impression there has been a cost cutting exercise done and some have been rubbished down in quality.

I have an Okuma baitrunner that I had a bad experience with and I wont touch that one again with a barge pole. I have another smaller Okuma that I use for light general fishing and thats ok although not perfect.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I have three Okuma Powerliners which are mini big pit reels if that makes sense and they very good. Not sure if they are made now though but at £40 each ,a reel bargain !

browndog

Reaction score
I bought some Okuma when they were first introduced and have been used for feeder fishing and are still faultless, less freeplay than many new reels. If you look closely at the body shape and handle design I get the impression that Okuma are making reels for many other companies, includigf Diawa and Shimano.