Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Nuneaton, Warwickshire
    Posts
    6

    Default Carp Fishing as Beginner

    Good morning all,

    I had a break away from fishing for a good 7+ years and have only pole fished prior. I went on holiday and found my love for the sport again and on my return, quickly bought a Preston Edgemonster Pole. I've been to the bank every weekend since with some good results fishing down the margin.

    However, they've been a few carp which I suspect in lower 20s which just eat all of the elastic and I never see them! The easiest solution to this, would be to upgrade my elastic to Hollow and possible uprate it from 12 to 16 - 18. Albeit knowing this, it really got the fire going in my belly to start Carp Fishing.

    I've never used a rod and reel due to starting the sport early and not having anyone around me that Rod and Reel fished so stuck to the pole as it was easy to transport, get down to the bank, put on a pre-made rig and catch some Fish.

    I've put below my fishing shopping list (I already have unhooking mat, net, degorger etc)

    https://puu.sh/ECyb4/2b222a415d.png
    https://puu.sh/ECyaT/48b6a9f1bd.png
    https://puu.sh/ECyaz/7b2d50a097.png
    https://puu.sh/EBzCi/8dcb38e4ef.png

    So really, the purpose of this post is: Is there any tips you could pass on to a new beginner? Also, is there anything missing from my shopping list which I should add or change?

    I really do appreciate the help - the reason I went for the 2.75TC was due to wanting to feel the fish more, I don't expect to cast out far to begin with, so possibly a different reel would be better for the smaller lakes.

    Look forward to all the responses!

  2. Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    Why not say what's on your list rather than add links? .png links aren't always safe to open

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Nuneaton, Warwickshire
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    Quote Originally Posted by stillwater blue View Post
    Why not say what's on your list rather than add links? .png links aren't always safe to open
    I could do if you prefer, was purely do to people not wanting to read long lists, becomes tedious. Alternatively, I'll embed the images.

    Carp Fishing as Beginner-chrome_2019-11-06_22-08-02.jpg
    Carp Fishing as Beginner-chrome_2019-11-11_10-02-50.jpg
    Carp Fishing as Beginner-chrome_2019-11-11_10-02-07.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Nuneaton, Warwickshire
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    Carp Fishing as Beginner-chrome_2019-11-09_13-29-08.jpg

    New image as forgot to upload in original reply

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    5,380

    Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    Is this a commercial with lots of carp? Is it relatively snag free. If so and presumably you are hooking bigger carp at pole distance I doubt you will need a 2.75 TC rod and 10000 size reel. You wont possibly need to have a rod that will cast a heavy lead to the horizon? You could find more enjoyment catching them on a lighter rod and reel. Maybe a 1.75 avon type and a 4000 size reel. There are dual top rods in this type that give you the option of a quiver top and a straight top. Float fishing for the lumps as well as a ledger set up.
    8 to 10 lb bs would be more than adequate if they are really that big.

    If you are hooking them on a pole they will almost certainly oblige on a float. A simple set up with quickstop hooks for meat/pellet etc or just a simple waggler with the best carp bait in the world...sliced bread.

    Tight lines.

    Edited.........PS Let us know what you decide and use the thread HOW DID YOU GET ON. Please dont be one of those folk who enrol ask some questions then disappear.
    Last edited by john step; 25-11-2019 at 22:44.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    2,069

    Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    This is one of those questions that can't really be answered unless you give some idea of the waters you will be fishing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Nuneaton, Warwickshire
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    This is one of those questions that can't really be answered unless you give some idea of the waters you will be fishing.
    Apologies - To begin with I was going to fish at Makins fishery so commercial, relatively snag free on their specialist lake as opposed to their pleasure lake with the pole. If I then continued to enjoy the fishing I was going to move to larger lakes like Abbey Lakes The official UK website ABBEY LAKES - Welcome

    Hope that helps answer your question

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Nuneaton, Warwickshire
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Is this a commercial with lots of carp? Is it relatively snag free. If so and presumably you are hooking bigger carp at pole distance I doubt you will need a 2.75 TC rod and 10000 size reel. You wont possibly need to have a rod that will cast a heavy lead to the horizon? You could find more enjoyment catching them on a lighter rod and reel. Maybe a 1.75 avon type and a 4000 size reel. There are dual top rods in this type that give you the option of a quiver top and a straight top. Float fishing for the lumps as well as a ledger set up.
    8 to 10 lb bs would be more than adequate if they are really that big.

    If you are hooking them on a pole they will almost certainly oblige on a float. A simple set up with quickstop hooks for meat/pellet etc or just a simple waggler with the best carp bait in the world...sliced bread.

    Tight lines.

    Edited.........PS Let us know what you decide and use the thread HOW DID YOU GET ON. Please dont be one of those folk who enrol ask some questions then disappear.

    Hi John,

    Thank you for getting back to me! You may find the answer to your question from my comment to Steve. Which I hope helps, and I appreciate your feedback!

    Once I've decided I'll post in the HOW DID YOU GET ON thread

  9. #9

    Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    As a recent returnee to angling, i bought a basic float rod and reel.

    After a couple of trips to a commercial,I then bought a Maver 11’ feeder rod and Daiwa matchwinner reel.

    I would cheerfully fish for Carp to 20 using this gear with a method feeder .

    There seems to be a lot of over complication for smaller carp fishing,everyone seems to think you need the full ten yards of bivvy etc to catch fish.....
    Or is just suppliers being better at catching the angler these days ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    5,380

    Default Re: Carp Fishing as Beginner

    I have been thinking about this thread today. Without being patronising, how experienced are you? To go from only ever having used a pole to big carp is a mighty leap. Makins to Abbey Lakes a similar jump.

    To do justice to the big carp waters and the cost of fishing them you would need the full kit including alarms, multiple rod and reels and a bivvy unhooking mat etc and a big wallet and a lot of patience especially as things are slowing down now the water is cooling.

    If it were me I would serve my apprentiship on waters like Makins, getting confidence in landing and the correct care and handling before deciding on the next stage.
    Just a thought?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •