My Carp lake

naxian62

Reaction score
To any cold weather carpers.
The lake i'm fishing, I'm told by the owner receives very little angling pressure during the Winter. But I plan to fish it as often as I can. It's great having the place to myself. So the question is do I put plenty of bait in ( cos there's next to nothing going in anyway) or do I ease back with drop in temperatures, air and water.
What do you think fellas ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Suck it and see, but always bear in mind that you can put more in, but you can't take it out. However, it's been my experience that how much bait goes in won't matter a jot unless you find the fish. I'd be looking at bag work and singles unless it has a very high head of fish and a reputation for decent winter form.

john step

Reaction score
Is it a big lake or something more modest. Has it got a good head of carp. They do tend to bunch up when it gets really cold.
If its quite small and you can find where they patrol or shoal up there is no need to put much bait. When the water clears you may be able to spot them by getting up high or seeing them roll .

A few catties of chopped worm and prawn can get them going well in winter. So can bread flake. I doubt they would feed all day unless its a heavy stock venue.
Last hour of day can be good as can a sudden sunny warm day when they may come up to give themselves away to surface food.

As to quantities what I am stumbling to get across is that once you have found them, a tasty flavoured snack will be better than a big banquet which is likely to go uneaten in the cold.
Some carpers will use a single pop up high vis glugged boilie for this reason.

naxian62

Reaction score
@John Its of a modest size, easy walkable, with a decent stock but not overstocked. Thing is it wont ever be clear cos of the red earth down here in Devon. Probably need to spend a bit time there just observing.
Re; Winter form, it's a complete unknown, cos the other members aint prepared to walk the half km which apparently becomes a bit of a driving issue! Good for me.
Thanks for replies

john step

Reaction score
Good luck. Having a place mostly to oneself is great. Why not try one rod on a boilie method and another in a different direction on an alternative to see what up?
I know blokes who carp up here in the winter and catch OK so I bet the few degrees warmer down there in Devon will be an advantage.

steve2

Reaction score
Years ago carp were thought to be uncatchable in the winter now with the stocking of carp it proves just how wrong we were. The only reason they weren't caught was because they weren't there in any number.
Carp can now be caught all year round as many posts on here prove.

benny samways

Reaction score
If you’ve a good chance of having the place to yourself and fish it regularly then put in bait whenever you leave ready for next time.

I’d fish bags of boilie crumb with wafter hookbaits and no free bait at all whilst fishing.

If you keep the bait going in certain spots then there does seem to be certain carp that will stay on the feed.