Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crexit?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crexit?

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh View Post
    Ok I don’t agree with carp being stocked in ponds with other fish stopping me fishing 3lbs main line and 1.5lb hook length for roach and having to fish over gunned. or Im tench fishing and the carp move in bullying the tench out of the way
    That's the issue that bugs me the most. I fish a fairly small pond regularly, it reminds me of the places I grew up learning to fish on. I still enjoy chucking a float out but it is impossible to be selective, I can attract roach and tench etc into my swim, but have to fish much heavier than I would like because of the carp. Vast majority of the other anglers who fish there are only interested in the carp, particularly the largest one which is about 20lb.
    Given that such a relatively small water can only hold a certain weight of fish, I can only see the variety diminishing as larger carp come to dominate.
    I started taking my kids to fish there with 3m whips, it's great hitting into the roach and perch, but inevitably, even on single maggot or caster, they will get snapped off by a decent sized carp. I now wont take the whips anymore as I feel it's irresponsible knowing the likelihood of snapping off.
    It's a shame that a little, free to fish pond is on the road to becoming yet another mainly carp water.

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    I now wont take the whips anymore as I feel it's irresponsible knowing the likelihood of snapping off.
    As far as I'm concerned, you simply can't go fishing with gear suitable for the biggest fish in the lake in mind. Fish your whips, just use barbless/fine wire hooks and hooklinks light enough to guarantee that they break before your mainline and whip. I fish stupidly light on a venue that's stuffed with carp. I'm targeting the roach. Hooklinks are usually 1 or 1.5lb. However, I use such fine wire hooks that they open out before the hooklink breaks. I've done all I can to reasonably ensure that I don't leave a hook in anything, without going stupidly heavy.

I do remember a time when to catch a carp of any size was deemed a a great catch. It took me years to catch my first double. Now I have caught carp over 20lb without even trying and also caught carp of nearly that size in matches on commercial snake lakes.
    But carp now rule and there is no way of getting away from them or the rules for their so called welfare.

Another way to avoid leaving small hooks in big fish might - I emphasise "Might" - be to insist on no forged hooks with lines below a certain breaking strain. Fewer break-offs, and it's faster to re-bend an opened fine-wire hook than tie a new one on.
    It would also help if the trade could let us know the rough breaking strain of line that will usually open each size of hook. Or the match-fishing community; I'd bet the "wisdom of the crowd" about matching fine wire hooks to lines is out there, it just needs collecting.

I've read your HDYGO posts about fishing with your kids at the pond, and I think it would be a great shame if you were put off by the possibility of hooking and losing carp. You say it's a free to fish small pond - how did these big carp get in there, unless by some dubious fish transfer, and who's to say their presence should inhibit anglers - especially youngsters - after other species? I'd go with Sam Vimes' approach - fish a fine wire hook on a light hooklength and hope the fish spring the hook and come off.
    Last edited by nottskev; 03-02-2020 at 18:28.

Blog Entries

I'm sure it's not just a Liverpool thing, but a lot of the carp population is quite transient. I've been told of carp caught from one park lake being transported to another water. That's how some of the carp have got into the pond I fish. There is also one catfish in there and I caught a rather sickly looking chub out of there not long ago. There is a carp of about 20lb that has come, illegally from another water as did the catfish.
    I'm concerned that it sounds like I'm just having a whinge because I'm not a big fan of modern carp fishing. It does not matter to me one bit if people want to fish exclusively for big carp, good luck to them and I hope they enjoy it as much as I enjoy fishing. My concern, and "my" little pond provides a good example, is that king carp is being foisted upon every still water.
    There are more than enough carp waters, I would like the park lakes and little ponds left as mixed fisheries for old farts like me and keen young course anglers like my 10 year old daughter who genuinely loves fishing and is excited catching roach, perch, crucians etc.
    I'm no expert but I'm prepared to trust what Jack Hargreaves said many years ago. The size of the water dictates the total weight of fish that it can support. Lots of small fish or fewer big fish. I just don't wish to see every water becoming holding pens for chunky carp to the detriment of all the other species I've enjoyed catching since childhood.
    Thanks to those giving advice on hook gauge etc, appreciate it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234