Crexit?

Aknib

Reaction score
It all seemed like a good idea many years ago but it now looks like the tides are turning!

The wide screen tellies in Angling Direct are droning on to their selves and Anglers are protesting the lack of diversity, Roach have to be looked up in the dictionary and deadbait is a term applied to everything that comes in a cellophane packet and has to be drilled out and hair rigged.

Could Crexit really happen?

Could those screens really depict moving images of Anglers catching anything other than Carp and could all those waters where the few who have their heads stuck well and truly up their own r'ses really see the light and finally lift their keepnet bans and standard 10lb minimum line strengths rules in order to allow those who have a wider perspective to enjoy their own thing?

I doubt it, it's a romantic notion but the morons appear to be ruling the roost in my neck of the woods at least.

Anyone else getting slightly frustrated by those who sleep until they get a bite, whilst their camo reels sit motionless with the bait at eighty yards (go figure!) and their splash mats sit idle on a dry night for the unfathomable reason that their users set them unnecessarily so low that they might pick up grit during unlikely heavy rain?

And they call us Noddies?

My r'se!

I hereby declare myself the Nigel Farage of Carp Fishing and after several rounds of Cremainers whinging on we'll see where it all ends up! :D

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
each to their own , fishing is too broad a church , many of us fish in many different ways , for whatever reason who knows
personally i Dont care how you fish I just hope you enjoy it - I know I do

Aknib

Reaction score
each to their own , fishing is too broad a church , many of us fish in many different ways

Except on the many waters where the morons have taken over and introduced their secular rules which exclude the other good fishing which could, and in many cases was, enjoyed within them!

Anyone ever heard of a water where a maximum of 1.7lb bottoms are the max, that wouldn't be very good for the skull dragging, ganga smoking, shabbily dressed morons would it?

I use that term in response to the widely used term 'noddies'.

It's not the Carp, it's the Carp Angler which has become a disease which I view in a similar way to the scab ridden Heroin addict which can occasionally be seen frequenting many a small town.

Harsh, but in my first hand experience...

Fair.

There are many credible and valid exceptions of course but again, in my experience, they are few and far between at the expense of their ill mannered brethren.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeaph, those who sleep till they get a bite are infiltrating the rivers and hogging swims for days, sometimes weeks at a time as they each do a couple of days shift work. One of the clubs i'm a member of has done the right thing in banning bivvies from the river and putting a 12 hour stay only rule in their book....well done that club!!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Except on the many waters where the morons have taken over and introduced their secular rules which exclude the other good fishing which could, and in many cases was, enjoyed within them!

Anyone ever heard of a water where a maximum of 1.7lb bottoms are the max, that wouldn't be very good for the skull dragging, ganga smoking, shabbily dressed morons would it?

I use that term in response to the widely used term 'noddies'.

It's not the Carp, it's the Carp Angler which has become a disease which I view in a similar way to the scab ridden Heroin addict which can occasionally be seen frequenting many a small town.

Harsh, but in my first hand experience...

Fair.

There are many credible and valid exceptions of course but again, in my experience, they are few and far between at the expense of their ill mannered brethren.

Tigger I agree , I fished a public pool where someone had tied a tin of corn to a tree with a load of fishing line , the place was full of raptors , inevitably they would become entangled and I spent a good few hours dismantling what they left behind, no excuse for morons.

Good to see you posting again !

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have a far less dim view of carpers than many on here. If it weren't for them, what I consider to be the best local mixed fishery for miles would not be a viable proposition. Sadly, carpers will pay for their fishing in a way that many general coarse anglers simply won't. I get to fish for large (for the area) tench and bream largely because of them. If it were left to more allround anglers to pay for it, we'd not have enough members to pay the rent. Quite a few general coarse anglers show some interest, right up to the point that money is mentioned.

I suspect that many other angling bodies (and shops/commercial fisheries) are in a similar situation. Carp, and to a lesser extent, barbel on the rivers, bring more money in than other species unless they are of record threatening proportions.

I'm sure I've said similar before, but when I see those wanting quality stillwater fishing, that doesn't include carp, getting together to form clubs and syndicates, I'll finally start believing that it's not all just hot air from a pretty small minority. I do accept that some efforts are being made in this direction, but they are quite few and far between. Compared to the amount of carp syndicates, they are pretty insignificant.

mikench

Reaction score
Shall we start a roach , Rudd and bream syndicate? Would we include gudgeon. I like tench when I can find them. I'd be in favour if it was geographically viable.

I like carpers in small doses. But for them my current favourite fishery would still be with a club I'm not a member of.:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shall we start a roach , Rudd and bream syndicate? Would we include gudgeon. I like tench when I can find them. I'd be in favour if it was geographically viable.

I like carpers in small doses. But for them my current favourite fishery would still be with a club I'm not a member of.:rolleyes:

That would be great, I do know of such a water up for grabs just now....123 grand. It's set in about 10 acres of ground....very nice !

theartist

Reaction score
Before we start carper bashing should we make sure our own backyard is clean? They could easily cite our match pools with parrot nosed carp and scale damaged roach, or those two rod barbellers who hog the same swim on the same river day in day out. If we are going to use the worst case scenarios for all our different ways of fishing i'd suggest our backyard is far from being any cleaner than theirs.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Shall we start a roach , Rudd and bream syndicate? Would we include gudgeon.

I suspect that you'd almost have to include tench and crucians. No point alienating potential members by omitting them. Sadly, I'm reasonably sure such a water wouldn't be a huge money spinner for anyone, but a genuine co-operative syndicate of like minds could be possible. One fly in the ointment will be the time it might take to really come to fruition unless an excellent existing water is happened upon. Simply getting hold of decent sized coarse fish to stock is a rather expensive and unreliable proposition. The only good thing is that some out and out carp syndicates actually get rid of such fish.

Last edited:

rich4930

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I know no one likes a smart arse, but I really need to remind you (quite fittingly for today- dawn of a new era ;-) there‘s always somebody worse off than yourself. Eg. think of the poor gits like me stuck in backward countries like Germany!!! ;-)

I watch the odd British YouTube channel to stay in the loop a bit and believe me, you honestly don’t know how good you’ve got it over there.

Bearing in mind that the kind of carp centric fisheries that you’re criticising are effectively illegal in Germany (inflicting discomfort on animals for personal pleasure), here’s just a selection of what you’d be in for if you moved here (which you probably won’t be doing now, but that’s academic ):

- 3 types of angler make up about 98% of all freshwater anglers:
Spinnfischer who fish for anything and everything that will take a lure. Ask them how to fish for barbel and chub they’ll look at you like you’re stupid. Lure of course! And since catch and release is a very grey area of the law, these are the anglers that help to keep MAX Pike size to about 20lb (avg about 4lb, zander about 8lb (avg about 2lb) and perch about 2lb (avg about 6-8oz)
“Pleasure” anglers who fish for anything that’ll take worm or sweetcorn on a size 8 and love to make fires whilst eel fishing an night, leaving their empty sweetcorn tins and 10lb hook links all over the place. Most of them take most of the fish they catch too. 5lb Tench?! Hmmm yummy!!
And carp anglers. Who nobody likes. Because they flaunt the law and put their fish back.

Specimen sized fish? Carp. The rest rarely have a chance to reach capital size.
Keepnets? LMAO.
Well maintained private lakes? Few and far between.
Red maggots? No colouring allowed. It’s toxic

I could go on for hours but Saturday is waiting...

Bottom line is, lads... be grateful for the ‘kin awesome fishing that we have in Britain.

I miss it so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
It’s not just carp fishermen that are to blame it’s club members in general that allow these rules to be passed. Go to any meeting and the most vocal will be the carp anglers fighting their own corner.

One of my clubs even removed most of the bream because the carp anglers said there were too many and they kept them awake at night by taking the carp bait. This was decided on at a club meeting attended mainly by carp anglers. Even more carp were then stocked from the money raised by selling the bream and other silver fish.
So if you want to protect your fishery from carp and silly rules make your voice heard.

But seeing that carp anglers will pay £1000's, even in my club they pay twice as much due to night fishing charges to catch their fish, we might as well accept the fact that Carp is king.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Whatever your preferred species are, whatever your fishing styles, whatever country you come from, however you have come to fishing, whatever language you speak, I'm happy with it.

I do not like carpers who haunt a canal for days, make me move because of the way they look at me, or do not even say hello in the middle of nowhere.

I like all those carpers who have taken the time to walk towards me while I was trying to fish, especially at the time I was looking so bad, to explain what I was doing wrong and how to improve. Some of them with the patience to explain even if I couldn't even talk in their local Flemish language. Many years ago I've been a member of one of the main carp fishing clubs on a "pantano" in Spain, at the time they made a huge effort to create a carp reservoir after it was left empty by shameless campers who took all pike in less than a year. This place then became a paradise for my spoons and lures.

I do not like disdainful pikers, perchers or zanderers, who claim fishing's fun under their headphones, leave tons of lures in trees or submerged trees because they're not able to cast, give me superior looks because I'm now watching my feeder tip, who then leave their soft-lure packaging on the bank.

I like all other pikers, perchers or zanderers who stop by and talk, tell me their daily stories, and so I can tell them which place to try because I've had tons of good perch in the past.

I do not like sea anglers in the Caribbean islands, who claimed they liked nature and worked as biologists for mainland administrations, while they take advantage of local populations, dislike coloured people, use harpoons to fish protected species because they know where they are.

I liked all other local sea anglers there who don't have money to buy a fishing license, but who can seat and look after their beautiful coast, accepted to talk to a white european and would seat to try to teach me something in creole.

etc etc etc

In a word, no X-it for me.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It all seemed like a good idea many years ago but it now looks like the tides are turning!

The wide screen tellies in Angling Direct are droning on to their selves and Anglers are protesting the lack of diversity, Roach have to be looked up in the dictionary and deadbait is a term applied to everything that comes in a cellophane packet and has to be drilled out and hair rigged.

Could Crexit really happen?

Could those screens really depict moving images of Anglers catching anything other than Carp and could all those waters where the few who have their heads stuck well and truly up their own r'ses really see the light and finally lift their keepnet bans and standard 10lb minimum line strengths rules in order to allow those who have a wider perspective to enjoy their own thing?

I doubt it, it's a romantic notion but the morons appear to be ruling the roost in my neck of the woods at least.

Anyone else getting slightly frustrated by those who sleep until they get a bite, whilst their camo reels sit motionless with the bait at eighty yards (go figure!) and their splash mats sit idle on a dry night for the unfathomable reason that their users set them unnecessarily so low that they might pick up grit during unlikely heavy rain?

And they call us Noddies?

My r'se!

I hereby declare myself the Nigel Farage of Carp Fishing and after several rounds of Cremainers whinging on we'll see where it all ends up! :D

Why put carp in a keepnet ? I know it happens in matches, but there is a weight limit on each net, and most match carp average around 6lb, but bigger ones can be caught.
If overnighting a carp in a keepnet would be in for a fair few hours, same with a carp sack or tube.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
One of my clubs is in the process of removing all the carp from one of the pools,there are about 6 left, these are being caught by rod and line due to difficulty netting it, and having it as what could be called a pleasure fishing water, it already has bream to 7lb and tench to 5lb in it plus gurdgeon ,roach, perch, there are some crucians in it and more are planned to be stocked when the carp have gone.
Like it or not most clubs need carp anglers to survive, they are the ones who buy night permits, and in my clubs case bait boat permits, they are the ones who will fish the waters all year, making it a viable proposition for the rent paid, We do have a time limit and rod limit allowed by carpets on the waters and one water has a bivvy free bank,