All rounder rod

Arry innes

Reaction score
Hello all.im fairly new to this carp fishing lark..I fish smallish lakes with the biggest fish being around 15 I reckon....I wanna get into pellet waggling....would a waggler rod handle a 15lber? All vids on YouTube seem to be small carp.i was thinking of a pellet waggler rod.6lb main.down to 4lb flurocarbon???? Would this be too light for bigger fish? Any help greatly appreciated

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pick a rod based on the method you intend to use and the size of the average fish you might catch, rather than the biggest fish you might possibly catch. Landing a fifteen pound fish on the average pellet waggler rod won't necessarily be easy, but the rod is quite unlikely to be the limiting factor.

nottskev

Reaction score
I only occasionally fish like this, but I'm really pleased with the rod I bought for it - a Shakespeare Agility 2 Pellet Waggler. Excellent value, imo, for not much more thn £50. It's a float rod; it's more suited to the run of the mill fish, which are mostly well below double figures, but will land much bigger ones, with a bit of patience and care. But I'll go a bit heavier than 4lb; you don't want to be playing them all day or risking a breakage with the bigger ones you hook.

Arry innes

Reaction score
Thanks both of you.yea I see you're point on aiming to the fish on average....may I ask nottskev....what's your line and hooklength you use? And yes I was looking at a Shakespeare.

Arry innes

Reaction score
Thanks both of you...yes I see what you're saying at aiming towards the average size I'm likely to catch......nottskev may I ask what line breaking strain setup you use??? For float and method feeder style fishing

Philip

Reaction score
A local lake I fish has a good head of Carp, mainly doubles but going a bit bigger than yours and my usual way to fish it is with float tactics and either a stepped up match rod or a 1.25 tc avon rod which basically seem similar to allot of pellet waggler rods i see. 6lb line size 8 hooks. Its pretty snag free. I think the 4lb line you mention may be pushing it a bit too light but 6lb should see you alright if its not snaggy.

rich66

Reaction score
I caught my biggest carp on a match rod with 6lb line, it was 16lb so yeah a waggler rod will do it.
Look to the average like others have suggested.
Played properly and carefully I think you’d surprised how many big fish can be landed on light tackle.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks both of you.yea I see you're point on aiming to the fish on average....may I ask nottskev....what's your line and hooklength you use? And yes I was looking at a Shakespeare.

Supplex .20, about 6lb, mainline and .18 Silstar Hooklengths (or some near equivalent). I find it still casts a small loaded waggler as far as I generally want to fish, and the Supplex line casts and floats well. It's not regarded as a specially tough line, but I like it and it's usually used in open, without weed, snags etc, so it lasts well enough. I've been pleasantly surprised with the rod - nice short handle , good fittings, well finished and lovely to play fish on. I didn't expect it to be so good at the price.