Bait Flavours

C

Cakey

I remember my first time to Warmwell and everyone said "dont use Nashy baits they have blown due to the amount gone in "

I blanked the first three days

then went to my chalet and knocked up a kilo of Nashy bait

I then had 17 carp in the next 4 days but.........................

F

Frothey

could it be experience?

or could it be people just werent feeding them what they wanted to eat when they wanted to eat it? young fish get big by eating lots so they must be troughing on something, somewhere....... old fish dont need to eat as much to maintain their weight though......

F

Frothey

I then had 17 carp in the next 4 days but........................

all small ones?

R

Roto Fryer 1

cakey has never caught as big carp!!! since ive known him i don't think he has ever caught a carp. always when everyone was asleep with no pictures/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

could it be people just werent feeding them what they wanted to eat when they wanted to eat it?

are you proving my point mr scuma? either carp are an eating maching or they are not. one can't have it both ways /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

you've read my works, you should know /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

you are also trying to have it both ways - why go up against a baiting team with maize, surely its better to have a ph balanced, nutritious bait full of free aminos, something a carp cant resist? they obviously arent shy of boilies..... they're only little round balls after all....

out of interest, why design a bait with lots of soluble attraction and then wash it out? wouldnt it be better/cheaper to just chuck a bit of white fish meal and a smidge of vegetable oil in some 50/50 mix?

F

Frothey

funny thing is we go round and round in circles over bait, and all go back to tigers and hemp when it gets tricky.....

Deanos

Reaction score
Carp lads!

I think this question will have relevance to the thread...and opinions are welcome.

What gives a bait longevity in the market, say for instance Trigger ice as a named bait. Is it initial hype that gives such bait a good reputation, then good marketing keeps its place in the market, when it is perhaps no better or worse than a big name competitors bait.

Obviously the bait market must keep reinventing itself to a degree, but are they just churning out "variations on a theme" are anglers just being pushed along with the hype.

I do use "carp baits" in rivers, monster crab does well for me with chub and barbel, but I know also that "unflavoured" milk protein based baits can work" although I haven't tried them myself...but certainly will be doing in the future.

Good thread, good comments!

F

Frothey

do you mean longevity in the market or longevity as a bait?

market is down to the profile of anglers using it - some of the best baits havent been changed for years, yet come and go in terms of popularity. I've got bored of the smell ofbaits in the past and changed just for the sake of it!

longevity of bait is more tricky..... its not as simple as having a subtle food bait.

B

Bully

Mmmmmm - not convinced about flavourings really, but I cannot talk to the level of peeps who do a lot more fishing than me.

Personally I think 95% about catching successfully is time, place, presentation etc. My only experience in terms of reserach was when trotting with maggots. A change to some lightly falvoured maggs (curry), triggered a response.

Intrigued next time I went I started with slightly flavoured maggs (curry again), when bites dried up I went to non-flavoured and again it triggered a response.

As such I figured it was CHANGE, not flavour that was the catalyst. Perhaps this can work across all aspects of fishing?

R

Roto Fryer 1

mrschiuma

i have read your works and decided they are far too insignificant to warrant worthy consideration /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifnothing original whatsoever/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif. but very useful to beginners.

F

Frothey

and you're still as boring as ever, and not answering any questions that you can't use the side of a bait packet or google to answer. I may only be able to help beginners, but at least I'm able to help someone...... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

R

Roto Fryer 1

as i said nothing original whatsoever from you.

1. price and nobody has ever caught anything on maize have they?

2. signals. check out olfactory system and alarm

3. everything organic decays in water; even something without what you call soluble attraction.

so if something decays does it not give off a signal which changes over time? oops i guess not because something thats rotting has a signal that stays the same!!

you wont get much original from me either but i suspect you would get a vastly more informed argument. generally on issues like this i point rather than spout as it then leaves the reader free to follow up if interested.

F

Frothey

so if something decays does it not give off a signal which changes over time? oops i guess not because something thats rotting has a signal that stays the same!!

do you mean decay or digested though......if you are going down that route, "decay" and "rotting" are laymans terms - whats causing the process? and what is the by product of that process.....

and why not just use a bait that already does that out of the bag?

R

Roto Fryer 1

decay due to biological organisms

part of fishing is learning about what goes into your bait and how it works (at least for me) if you don't really care about why something does what it does then you just buy off the shelf and the are plenty of ok baits out there but you can put together something twice as good for half the price if you have the time and space

F

Frothey

decay due to biological organisms

you mean digestion then....?