FISHING IN SHEFFIELD

Monty Python

Reaction score
Ok let’s try and make some sense of this out of control thread. Firstly I have just got home after a few beers in my local and picked up from my last post. When I first read jimmy’s post my gut feeling was indescribable so I resisted from commenting, I logged on a day or 2 later to see the post in its true light (a wined up) lets digest Jimmy original post.

Quote “Myself and a few of work colleagues will be going down to work in Sheffield in June, Nine of us in total”.= jimmy and his 9 work mates are planning to work in Sheffield in June...

Quote “so we have decided to go fishing for Carp while we are there are five of my colleagues wholike carp” = bad grammar but in a nut shell Jimmy is saying he and his mates plan to do a little carp fishing and 5 of his mates like Carp...

Quote “in-which I hate” = Jimmy doesn’t like Carp???

Quote “Now we are wondering how many they can catch and B.B.Q them. I will not be having any” = When I first read this I presumed the man wants to catch carp and eat them on the bank by means of a BBQ.

In reality and under closer inspection I see this as jimmy wonders how may carp he and his 9 mates can catch and how many they can BBQ.... 2 separate questions IMO again bad grammar, hey who am I to judge...

Quote “At this time we have not made our minds up as to which part of Sheffield we will be fishing.= they don’t know were to fish in sheff. This is where it gets interesting because jimmy asks

Quote “So can anyone inform me as to how many fish that they will be aloud to take from a fishery?”This sentence can mean a whole host of things i.e. he could be referring to trout? But we think not because the post is about Carp, so why catch carp to eat? Well why not! Carp are only in our waters because they were introduced as a food, so why not eat them???

When I read this last paragraph I see 2 questions 1 how many fish do we think they will catch.2 how many fish can we take from a fisheryI see no males in this post just a sick sence of humour trying to get a bite out of passionate anglers. The fisheries in question could well supply carp for the food industry and Jimmy is asking a reasonable question on his mate’s behalf.At the end of the day we all live in overcrowded rip of Britain were some of us love nothing more than spending our free time pursuing specimen fish as a hobby. End off

As for me, my partner of the last 5 years is Spanish and to this day does not understand why I chose spend as much time as possible in the pursuit of a fish that I catch then release. She thinks I am bonkers and that I participate in a cruel sport, however she would empathize with me if the fish ended up on table. Now I have never and could never eat a carp of pike or eel for that matter reasons being I am not a big lover of eating fresh water fish, with the exception of trout and salmon. I am a passionate angler with very strong feelings towards fish welfare and our limited stocks. I see this post as the wind up it was intended and nothing less. Simple as, and it did indeed get a bite or 2, be it in bad taste.

Matt JonesFined me on facebook or under East Yorkshire Carpers Buenos notches mi amigos

Donald Bain

Reaction score
What on earth is all this nonsense about spelling and grammar?

As an ex-teacher I could spend all day on this site correcting these things, most postings, including mine, contain one or two.

Can we just get back to the crux of the matter, ie; the discussion.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Well said Donald, I was always told it was in very poor taste to critisise in public anyone's spelling or grammar. A very poor show and does nothing to address the issue.

Beecy

Reaction score
for what its worth...

I would never critisise anyones spelling or grammar, as mine is crap too. But, i too found the first post difficult to understand properly because of the missplaced/missing words, so the sogster has a valid point and dosnt deserve the stick hes got for making it

what does deserve some stick, in my opinion, is that seeing as a member was recently banned from the site for getting a bit too worked up over an emotive topic, we get another thread put up, that to me seems is only there to wind people up further

probably down to the crap weather, too many bored blokes sat at homewith too much time to spare

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>JIMMY ( P A A S ) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>But I will say this again. THIS THREAD IS IN NO WAY A WIND-UP.</blockquote>

Jimmy's statement above, so you've got to accept that it is a genuine query.

Talking of spelling mistakes, this one's a blinder from Monty, especially as he admits he just come in from't pub................./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

"Ok let’s try and make some sense of this out of control thread. Firstly I have just got home after a few beers in my local and picked up from my last post. When I first read jimmy’s post my gut feeling was indescribable so I resisted from commenting, I logged on a day or 2 later to see the post in its true light(a wined up)lets digest Jimmy original post".

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well it is no wined up Monty/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

Jimmy is coming South to fish, his work mates want to eat some carp, Jimmy doesnt.

Jimmys mates dont want to nick any fish, they want to catch and BBQ them, with the owners consent. Now many are ok with that, many are not, but if they are not breaking any laws, then there is nothing any one can do about it.

Jimmy, enjoy the fishing, even though you are a Scot, I can understand you, Hoots man, theres a moose, loose about this hoose./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif As for the grammer, well is there any on here that have never made a mistake????????????????

Reaction score
Ray

I never make mistake's its use lot what carnt spell or gramma is not written as it should be and could of been written better so that its easyer to read and people can understand it better so sometime's use dont understand what they are trying to say in there post about fishing for carp and eating them after cooking them on a BBQ or not if they don't like that sort of thing when they go down to sheffield with some mates in the close season in June.

Monty Python

Reaction score
Anyway, back to the initial question.

Does anyone on this forum know were Jimmy and his mates can catch carp for the table?/forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
jimmy is going to Sheffield to make some knifes/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, so some had better look out/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Matt,

Is Jimmy going to take the fish to Poland with him, to release then catch again/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Is Crabtree Pond still there? I usd to have some great sport down there in the last century!

Didn't realise Jimmy was a fellow kilt wearer, you're more than welcome down here, nice to see someone from the "hameland," just bring a bottle of good Islay malt!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
He will bring a bottle Donald, but it will be empty by the time he gets to you/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif