FISHING IN SHEFFIELD

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Myself and a few of work colleagues will be going down to work in Sheffield in June.

Nine of us in total, so we have decided to go fishing for Carp while we are there are five of my colleagues wholike carp, in-which I hate. Now we are wondering how many they can catch and B.B.Q them. I will not be having any.

At this time we have not made our minds up as to which part of Sheffield we will be fishing.

So can anyone inform me as to how many fish that they will be aloud to take from a fishery.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Check the local byelaws. If it is a day ticket fishery or commercial then the answer is none. That would be theft which you allegedly don't condone.

However there are some free stretches on the river or canal in the towncentre where you can take some for the pot. No carp that high up the Don that I'm aware of though there are grayling and wild brownies to be had.

I do believe this thread to be a wind up though as you posted similar in the IYCF letters thread without a bite. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif Or are you looking to follow Baz out the door. /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

From my side you can slaughter all the ratfish in the Sheffield area.

Bloody vermin!

/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

The Sogster

Reaction score
I refer you to my original post then Jimmy, check the EA website for local byelaws, also check the relevant websites regarding fires on the bank.

You would have to admit it does sound fishy (pun intended) following on from the IYCF thread where you wrote:<blockquote class=quoteheader>JIMMY ( P A A S ) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Well Paul, Myself and a few of my colleagues will be in Sheffield in June for a few weeks (working) and at the week-end we will be going fishing for carp, can you tell me as to how many (if we catch ) can we keep for the BBQ.</blockquote>

In direct response to:<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul Howarth wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I agree there is no deterrent and I am staunchly in favour of there being more EA baliffs on the banks to catch the theives.

That still doesn't mean carp shouldn't go on sale. </blockquote>

I find it interesting that you feel the need to BBQ your catch (if any) especially when carp are available in the local supermarket. However as long as you are in possession of a valid licence and remain within the law it's your perogative.

Just two questions:

1) Do you regularly BBQ your catch?

2) Please provide me with a list of your local waters where I can catch fish for the pot. If you feel the need to deplenish stocks in my local waters it's only fair that you reciprocate and give other anglers the opportunity to reduce your local fish stocks.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Jimmy, I'll gladly give you a guide to the best fishing in the Sheffield area, sadly though if you take carp for the pot from private waters this is a criminal offence with a fine upto £1,000 plus costs.

But as already said there are rivers and canals galore where byelaws allow the taking of 2 fish per angler for the pot, as long as it is NOT a private stretch!

The River Rother and Don both have a lot of free stretches, but not many carp.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Although there are lots of carp venues in and around Sheffield I wouldn't advise eating anything from either the Don or the Rother as both were grossly polluted to the point where they could not sustain higher life forms.

The silt beds on which the invertibrats and micro-fauna proliferate and feed upon still contain numerous highly toxic substances which make there way up the food chain via the infusoria (not sure if that term is correct)

What I will say in common language is that if you eat anything from either venue...Be it on your own head and don't cry when the doctor gives you 3 months.

SERIOUSLY

F

Fred Bonney

Not only that, are you going before the 16th June Jimmy,because you can't fish rivers until then down here!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lee Swords

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I have seen the Don run 4 colours in a day and the Rother smells so bad that it made you feel sick

I can remember doing a trip with school net dipping 30 years ago...Tubiflx worms and a rat-tailed maggot were all I caught

it was vile

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Good grief Lee, I used to take my kids doing that when I was teaching in the 70s, mainly up the Rivelin and Loxley where we stood a chance of some bullheads and brookies.

One must remember that in 1975 the Rother was the most polluted river in the UK. Come on a bit since then!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Rivelin and Loxely were different altogether...

Caught a 2lb wildie trout when I was about 13 from the upper Rivelin...it was so long and thin...i couldn't kill it...

Always a few brownis to be caught there....They were important vectors in the natural restocking of the Don

These days you can have a good days fishing on the majority of Sheffield rivers...Never fished Blackburn brook below where hartley brook enters it...something for this year i think

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Fred And Lee; For your input /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

Donald; The way that I read your posts, is an Personal attack to myself and my colleagues.

If am wrong, will you explain it to me ?<blockquote class=quoteheader>Donald Bain wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Lee, I forgot to mention the toxics...wonder why?</blockquote>

Also I would like to thank the members that hasEmailed me.

From the bottom off my hart I thank each and every one of yous. And yes I know.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sogster; Sorry about that, here is my first post. Have another read at it.<blockquote class=quoteheader>JIMMY ( P A A S ) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Myself and a few of work colleagues will be going down to work in Sheffield in June.

Nine of us in total, so we have decided to go fishing for Carp while we are there are five of my colleagues wholike carp, in-which I hate. Now we are wondering how many they can catch and B.B.Q them. I will not be having any.

At this time we have not made our minds up as to which part of Sheffield we will be fishing.

So can anyone inform me as to how many fish that they will be aloud to take from a fishery.</blockquote>

Monty Python

Reaction score
A very clever post when you take the time and read between the lines. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifNice one Jimmy/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif