Advice req. for Carp fishing in France

S

Seamus Bourke

Last year whilst catfishing one of my favourite swims on the River Saone we spotted shedloads of huge Carp rolling on a gravel bar about 150yds from the bank, we witnessed one landed further downstream by a dutch angler of 68lb and he reckons he's had bigger! Any advice on tackle, rigs, bait etc.. from someone who's tackled difficult to fish big river swims would be appreciated. We can't use the boat as it won't quite be daylight if you know what i mean.

R

rob tudor

The secret on the big french riveers is location location and location. Be under no illusions it can be bloody hard work which is why you dont see many carpers on the rivers those that do fish them keep their results close to their chest.You really need to be looking for the same sort of features as you would for cats ie drop offs bars island bridges are all good. Sitttingg in a swim for a week waiting is a waste of time . You have to find the fish. The tackle you need is heavy carp gear 15-18 pound line quicksilver leaders loads of leads 3oz-6oz big hard boilies loads of particles blackeyes,maize,chicks+ groundbait to get particles to the bottom on the faster flowing sections . if you are baiting from a boat a section of rain water pipe can be used to feed the bait down this gets the boilies and particles past the faster flowing upper layers of the river. River fishing in france is either the last frontier or the twilight zone!! depending on your point of view hope this help rob

J

JEDI (Jr) DAVE

ROB
all you did was go over old stuff.
He asked for advice on catching the damn things, not a re hash of old articles. Anyone can get just by, picking up a copy of carp/talk/world/etc, etc. French rivers are a subject of there own, not something to be thrown at just cause they have got water in.These waters are as complex and as difficult as most french stillwaters, if not more so, and yes,i do have experience of both.

J

JEDI (Jr) DAVE

Last frontier? NO!
Twighlight zone? NO!
PIONEERING FISHING?
OH YES!!!!!

S

Stormin' Norman

Well Jedi Dave, lets see some pearls of wisdom from you then on this subject. It's easy to sit back and say old stuff but where are your idea's then?

R

rob tudor

Oops touched a sore nerve there did I! Firstly I checked seamus's profile and I have assumed a basic knowledge of carping. I have been fishing in france for over fifteen years and contrary to popular belief casting out willy nilly does not result in 30s and 40s rolling in the net . NOWHERE is this more true than on the big rivers not only in france but also in this country. Yes the advise I posted may have been given in many and varied publications but in my humble opinion it is still valid and seamus may not have read any of those articles. I also thought that pioneering was crossing the last frontier and believe me when it goes wrong it does feel like the twilight zone. as an aside to to the main question of fishing the french rivers I think it is a sad indictment of our society than I can fish on my own in the middle of france and feel safer than doing a night on the thames. As for river carp they are easy to catch once located location is the key especially 30lb plus that is just as true on the seine the loire the yonn the mosselle as it is on the thames severn or avon

S

Seamus Bourke

Well Rob you've hit the nail on the head as far as a basic knowledge of Carp tactics is concerned, particularly the weird baits and rigs you all use. I've had a dabble at carping for one season and had twenties from a couple of notorious hard water's. However these fish are monstrous and believe me you won't get them out on 20lb line! Did you see Matt Hayes play that 20lb common on total fishing, whilst fishing with my old mate Luke Moffatt. I was there and believe me it took an eternity for him to land it, 400yds down from where he hooked it on open bank. I was thinking 35lb line, 6oz bolt rigs, 75kg dyneema as hooklink, size 2 continental boilie hooks with tiger nuts fished over something like party blend. What do you think ?

R

rob tudor

Bloody hell my mates think I'm abit animal when I've showed them the gear I use on the rivers in france I think you gone for a bit of overkill there.I did see the programme with Mr Hayes I think he was a bit under gunned with his rod and reel.I take it if you know Luke Moffet and are intending to fish the soane he would be the first person to ask as he lives on the river. As for tigers and party blend yes good combination but if where you are fishing has a good head of cat fish then the party blend will attract the fish that cats feed on ie bream roach tench and that tends to kill the carp fishing if there are a number of hungry cats in the area. I have not fished the soane for about ten years prefering the northern rivers but a good supply of bigger particles and hard boilies and time spent locating features and asking in the local tackle shops should see some results. I have to say that tackling the big rivers in france would not be my first choice for a maiden carping trip. But when that buzzer goes the adrenalin really kicks in because who knows whats on the end and thats what its all about well for me it is.

C

Carp Angler

Get some good 30lb braid and you could cast the 150 yards to those rolling fish.