Feeder and Float

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
I want to use a feeder or method feeder but don't know if you can use it with a float. I don't have a quivertip on my rod so I can't really use a feeder without a float. Is it possible to use a float and a feeder?

Or is it possible to buy a quivertip to add to my 12ft carp rod?

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Yes it is possible to use a feeder and a float. I do sometimes if I need to get some bait out a long way and I cant get a float the disance I need.

Set your float up the line about a foot or so more than the depth of water your fishing in and attach a feeder on a sliding rig and clip (so you can change to a bomb) and then a bead and swivel. Your hook length is then attached to the other end of the swivel.

Once you have cast out to your area put your rod in the rests/alarm and gently tighten up until the float tip is visable.

When you get a bite the float could rise up and lay flat like a lift bite or it will just sail away like normal. Mostly the fish hook themselves and then charge away.

Give it a go and let us know...

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
I fish in a lake that has Rudd and Carp, and I catch more Rudd than Carp. I don't think my rod would show a rudd bite without a quivertip or a float... Any other suggestions?

slime monster

Reaction score
Rudd are surface / midwater feeders best fished for on light float tackle with loose feed little and often set the float half depth with a couple of dust shot spaced down the line and feed cast feed cast and so on bites will occur as the bait falling through the water with the loose feed any Carp in the area will home in on the activity..

I can not think of a worse way to fish for Rudd than with a method feeder you need a power match rod to tackle Rudd and carp at the same time.

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
At my local lake I use my carp rod with a shot, float, shot, swivel, hooklength, hook. I normally use maggots as bait, so I catch Rudd as well as carp.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
stick some sweetcorn on the hook instead I dont think you will catch many rudd on two grains of corn.

Have a try of the feeder system I explained above and put some liquidised corn and groundbait in the feeder and corn on the hook.

It will get the bait down below the rudd quickly and there will be more of a chance that the carp will find it.