Boillies - good for fishing?

Nik Foad

Reaction score
At risk of becoming awfully unpopular I'm going to ask a really silly question:

- Why boillies?

More and more venues seem to be banning these as a ground bait and even a hook bait.

Why do real carp fisherman really need boillies?

Don't get me wrong I have used them too - they're convenient and it's easy to spend a packet on them but if they're so bad for the water in which our quarry live - why do we persist to use them?

Can't we use big beans, trimmed brussels, other fruits, cork balls - anything soaked in flavours that do the same things as a boillie??

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Yes we can use other stuff, but we can also use boilies too. Life is about trying lots of different things. They are convenient and it is another object that we can spend our money on and gain confidence in. I use lots of different baits for Carp and other fish but I will always have confidence in a well made boilie.

Where are they banned ? There must be a thousands of venues in the UK that allow boilies, Ive never seen a venue where they are banned completely, Ive been to a few places that have a limit of 1 Kilo per day per angler.

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

I know of only 1 venue in my area (Kent) that has a boillie ban and as I see it the deffinition of a boillie is a bait that has been boiled, I would make them as normal and air-dry them, technically they are not a boillie but I'm sure the lake owner will have a different view!

The baits that are available now are totally different to the days of say 20 years ago, they are now a 'Carp food' and not just a ball of semolina and eggs with flavour, the carp do learn I believe.

As for other baits yes I do use them but have trouble with what some anglers call 'nuisance fish'.

As for Beans etc. the problem is that the fishery owners have to allow for the lowest common denominator ie the people that don't know how to prepare seeds, pulses etc. Brussels float so no freebies and I've heard strawberrys have caught.

By the way, not a silly question!

noknot

Reaction score
As I see it, there is nothing wrong with using a good quality food source HNV bait, fishmeal/milk protein, If applied correctly to the situation found on the day, or the type of water being fished and the amount of anglers fishing. By this I mean don’t just turn up and dump in 10k of bait, but a nice 30-40 baits to start, which can be topped up as needed eg: after a fish or a take.

As for other baits, the list is endless, but a few of my favorites are: maize, sweetcorn, creamed corn which I mix together and use maize as hookbaits (tough and stays on)
Peanuts (small amounts) and hemp, Carp love all of these and it's cheap and effective, Be sure to prepare any particles correctly! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

I love tigers ,sweetcorn.maples and chickpeas all work superb on their day but they still have not got the attractors and feed inducers of a top quality boilie

nik saunders

Reaction score
chart sutton lakes in maidstone kent have a boillie ban not sure why, and you cant use nuts ,i understand that but dont see whats wrong with a well made bollie/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Why do real carp fisherman really need boillies? "

I have no idea.

I still use par-boiled potatoes, if it was good enough for Walker then its good enough for me!

All these new-fangled baits, what is angling coming to?

We'll be sitting behind automatic bite alarms next and putting our rods in purposely designed holders, and sleeping at the lake in special little green tents!

Wierd!

[ insert U-No-Wot - - - - > H E R E ]

C

Cakey

you need a you know what inserted you know where ....ha ha ha

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Promises, promises.

Anyhows,I can't hang about, I've got some lovely little Jersey Royals simmering in Molasses getting ready for Todber Manor.

[ insert, oh, never mind ]

F

Frothey

spuds in mollases? that's hardly "old skool" is it... cheating if you ask me....

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
**** Walker and Fred Taylor used to use trebles to keep 'em on. That's the real traditional method /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"spuds in mollases? that's hardly "old skool" is it... cheating if you ask me...."

Well, you know us old Carpers, always looking for an 'edge'

"**** Walker and Fred Taylor used to use trebles to keep 'em on. That's the real traditional method "

Geeze Geoff, are you going to give away all our secrets?

Nik Foad

Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight.

My favourite local fisheryhas a boillie ban and we've not been using them for 2+ years and of course have become efficient with other baits.

With this success(withoutthe boillie)and some fisheries stopping the use of the boillies due to water quality concerns - it begged the question - why boillies?

Why are so many sold at such a price to anglers young, old, rich and poor when there are alternative baits that receive little or no coverage in terms of success. For example I had a great session using salted olives recently but failed to catch on stuffed olives - why - who knows but it was fun messing about.

In addition I know it all comes down to the use of the boillie. Chuck in a sandcastle of boillies as ground bait and of course there is an increased risk of polution.

It seems from some of the posts that boillie manufacturing has improved and perhaps the water quality risks have been reduced - would be keen to hear more about that.

Anyway thanks for the replies - I still love playing with baits includingboillies and fingers crossed for my discovery of the master bait - of course all members that replied to this post will get a recipe of the secret bait at a "mates rates" price- enjoy the season!

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
It's just a continuation of t'comittee standard rules - if it's successful and the ruling authority can't get their head around it, then ban it for some invented reason. It started in the 60's with hempseed and still goes on today with even trout pellets (which melt!) and boilies and floating baits etc all banned in various waters for different reasons. Mind you there are sometimes good reasons for some people being over-careful. When Fox Pool was drained (late eighties?) they found bars of uneaten boilies, reefs even! Like everything, it's not the use of a bait, it's the abuse of it that is the problem.