Modified Zig Rig?

rookie_fly_guy

Reaction score
I was reading up on using a zig rig as I've never used one before but it seems handy for avoiding hungry birds whilst going after surface feeding carp. I was thinking about how they are cast out, particularly if your using a long leader, now my casting isn't great (still learning to feather the reel to help stop things tangling) so I was kind of put off by the idea of the rig tangling.

However, I was wondering if it would be possible to create a zig rig with the lead free running. The idea being use a ledger stop a couple of inches below the hook, then play out line until you reach the right depth. With a buoyant enough popup you'd be able to get enough tension in the line to detect if the line goes slack (I think)

It wouldn't have the same self hooking properties as a fixed lead, but you could adjust it on the fly to test different depths plus you can reel it down to avoid birds, plus if you tied on a pva bag full of floaters then they would appear around it without the noise of catapults and splashes attracting the wildlife.

So, thoughts people? Would it work or am I barking up the wrong tree? And forgive me if this is a well known rig that I haven't read about yet :D

Cakey

Reaction score
leave it how it is and get yoursef a bucket ,coil up the zig rig into the bucket and cast as normal
once in france I was fishing 20' zigs and casting out ok using the bucket method

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
So, please explain where the bucket comes into it, on the assumption, I'm a dumbo.

You don't cast the bucket out, obviously. What's wrong with coiling it in a PVA bag?

Cakey

Reaction score
Ive played around and found that a normal sized bucket placed behind me with the zigrig coiled up in the bottom suits me best
if you have the room behind you lay the zigrig out on the ground and cast

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Well said Cakey thats exactly what I do when fishing. But What size bucket do you use mate ?, as you know size is everything !

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I see!

Well, I don't see the Sauna Bucket, I appear the be blocked from that site. Presumably full of naughtyness.

I'll try with my £1 bargain bucket from Asda. Or should it be camo? I mean, wouldn't like to upset the carp police ....... :p

Cakey

Reaction score
theres nothing rude about a model holding a bucket

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

Ive a camo bucket with a smaller but fits in the top which has no handles and this works superb

Colin W

Reaction score
I see!

Well, I don't see the Sauna Bucket, I appear the be blocked from that site. Presumably full of naughtyness.

I'll try with my £1 bargain bucket from Asda. Or should it be camo? I mean, wouldn't like to upset the carp police ....... :p

"wouldn't like to upset the carp police .."..... :p[/QUOTE]
PMSL CLASSIC brilliant